- Volume 53 Issue 1
In order to investigate the effect of land reclamation on the life of local fishermen, a survey was conducted with the 246 people living in 12 different adjacent villages located in Hwasung District. It was found that income of residents decreased, while the amount of debts increased after reclamation. 65% of the people surveyed answered that their economic situation became worse than before and they blamed the decrease of fishery resources as the main cause. It further led to the loss of the family's means of livelihood. 40% of the people surveyed claimed that they wanted to leave the fishing village and believed that reclamation divested them of all their hope for the future. Regarding to the effect of reclamation project on the image of Hwasung District, most of the respondents have a negative view on the reclamation project. They have negative views even on the tourism, regional welfare, employment of community residents and local infrastructure. Therefore, it can be concluded that local community residents thought that reclamation project had negatively influenced their overall quality of life.
Land reclamation;Local residents;Fishing village;Survey;Hwasung District
- Bae HM and Moon BC. 2003. Study on the land recover characteristics from the process of reclamation in the islands -On the case study in Shinan Gun-. J of the Korea Planning Association 38(2), 217-228.
- Kim J. 2007. The impact of large-scale reclamation projects on the lives of local residents with the Saemangeum projects as an example. Eco. Vol.11, No.2, 285-316.
- Kim YJ. 1998. An investigation on the actual state of the fishing villages and the attitude of fisherman. J. of Fisheries Business Administration. 29(1), 89-120.
- Ku DW and Hong DH. 2011. A study on the social impacts of Saemangeum project : Focused on the changes after the completion of the last tide embankment construction in 2006. ECO, 15(2), 39-80.
- Hahm HH. 2004. Ousted fisherman and Saemangum tideland reclamation project. Korean Cultural Anthropology 37(1), 151-182.
- Hahm HH. 2010. Human life in Saemangeum after reclamation. J of The Korean Society for Marine Environment & Energy 13(4), 313-326.
- Hahm HH, Jung MH and Lee DC. 2011. A study of interactional relations between marine ecology and fishery in the area of Saemangeum. ECO, 15(2), 7-37.
- Koh CH, Ryu JS and Khim JS. 2010. The Saemangeum : History and controversy. J of The Korean Society for Marine Environment & Energy 13(4), 327-334.
- National Statistical Office, 2005. http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/index.action
- Park JM. 2002. The Saemankeum reclamation project and social change in adjacent local villages. ECO, 202-230.
- Park SY. 2007. Structure and peculiarities of social conflict around Saemangeum reclamation project. ECO, 11(1), 133-166.
- Song DY. 1999. Book review of "What happened to the people of Siwha Lake" Korean Cultural Anthropology, 32(1), 341-344.
- Yun HS and Kim HC. 1990. Effect of reclamation on fisheries. Rural Economy, 13(4), 73-86.
Supported by : 군산대학교