- Volume 53 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A quantitative analysis of greenhouse gas emissions from the major coastal fisheries using the LCA method
전과정평가방법에 의한 주요 연안어업의 온실가스 배출량 정량적 분석
- KIM, Hyun-young (Division of Fisheries System Engineering, Institute of National Fisheries Research and Development) ;
- YANG, Yong-su (Division of Fisheries System Engineering, Institute of National Fisheries Research and Development) ;
- HWANG, Bo-kyu (Department of Marine Science and Production, Kunsan National University) ;
- LEE, Jihoon (Division of Marine Technology, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2017.02.06
- Accepted : 2017.02.09
- Published : 2017.02.28
The concern on the greenhouse gas emissions is increasing globally. Especially, the greenhouse gas emission from fisheries is an important issue due to Cancun Agreements Mexico in 1992 and the Kyoto protocol in 2005. Furthermore, the Korean government has a plan to reduce the GHG emissions as 5.2% compared to the BAU in fisheries until 2020. However, the investigation on the GHG emissions from Korean fisheries has not been executed much. Therefore, the quantitative analysis of GHG emissions from Korean fishery industry is needed as the first step to find a relevant way to reduce GHG emissions from fisheries. The purpose of this research is to investigate which degree of GHG emitted from the major coastal fisheries such as coastal gillnet fishery, coastal dual purpose fishery, coastal pots fishery and coastal small scale stow net fishery. Here, we calculated the GHG emission from the fisheries using the LCA (Life Cycle Assessment) method. The system boundary and input parameters for each process level are defined for LCA analysis. The fuel use coefficients of the fisheries are also calculated according to the fuel type. The GHG emissions from sea activities by the fisheries will be dealt with. Furthermore, the GHG emissions for the unit weight of fishes are also calculated with consideration to the different consuming areas. The results will be helpful to understand the circumstances of GHG emissions from Korean fisheries.
Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) method;Greenhouse gases emission;Coastal fisheries;Fuel use coefficient
- Aanondsen SA. 1997. Life cycle assessments of environmental performance used as a tool in ship design (In Norwegian: Livslopsanalyser for beregning av miljopavirkning brukt som verktoy ved prosjektering av skip). M.Sc. Thesis, Department of Marine Technology, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway. 56.
- Curtis HC, Graham K and Rossiter T. 2006. Options for improving fuel efficiency in the UK fishing fleet. Sea Fish Industry Authority & European Community. 1-48.
- Ellingsen H, Olaussen JO and Utne IB. 2009. Environmental analysis of the Norwegian fishery and aquaculture industry - A preliminary study focusing on farmed salmon. Mar Policy 33, 479-488. (DOI:10.1016/j.marpol.2008.11.003) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpol.2008.11.003
- European Commission. 2014. http://ec.europa.eu. URL http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/automotive/environment/euro5/index_en.htm. Accessed October 2016.
- Hospido A and Tyedmers P. 2005. Life cycle environmental impacts of Spanish tuna fisheries. Fish Res 76, 174-186. (DOI:10.1016/j.fishres.2005.05.016) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2005.05.016
- KFIP. 2016. http://www.fips.go.kr. URL http://www.fips.go.kr/jsp/sf/ss/ss_law_kind_list.jsp?menuDepth=070105. Accessed October 2016.
- Kim SH and Kim DM. 1995. A study on Methodology and application of the Life Cycle Assessment. J Korea Soc Waste Manag 12(1), 145-152.
- Lee CW, Kim HS and Lee J. 2010a. Research of Low-carbon emission marine production technology. Land Transport and Maritime R&D Report. 1-573.
- Lee DW, Lee JB, Kim YH and Jung SG. 2010b. Calculation of Carbon Dixoide Emissions by South Korea's Fishery Industry. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 43(1), 78-82. (DOI:10.5657/kfas.2010.43.1.078)
- Lee J and Lee CW. 2010. Low-Carbon trawl design with analysis of a gear drag and calculation of construction costs using numerical methods. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 46(4), 313-323. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.4.313) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.4.313
- Lee J. 2013. A quantitative analysis of GHG emissions from the Korean large scale purse seine fishery using LCA method. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 49(3), 282-290. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2012.49.3.282) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2012.49.3.282
- Park KH. 2004. Development of Triple Bottom Line integrated model for environmental, economic and social evaluation of construction project. Ph.D. Thesis, Department of environmental engineering, Inha University, Korea. 237.
- Pelletier N and Tyedmers P. 2007. Feeding farmed salmon: Is organic better?. Aquaculture 272, 399-416. (DOI:10.1016/j.aquaculture.2007.06.024) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2007.06.024
- Prior D and Khaled R. 2009. Optimisation of Trawl Energy Efficiency under Fishing Effort Constraint. In Proc. Of the 9th International Workshop "DEMaT09", Nara, Japan.
- Schau EM, Ellingsen H, Endal A and Aanondsen SA. 2009. Energy consumption in the Norwegian fisheries. J Cleaner Prod 17, 325-334. (DOI:10.1016/j.jclepro.2008.08.015) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2008.08.015
- Sterling D and Goldsworthy L. 2007. Energy efficient fishing: A 2006 review - Part A - Alternative fuels and efficient engines. Australian Government - Fisheries Research and Development Corporation report. 1-52.
- Sterling D and Klaka K. 2007. Energy efficient fishing: A 2006 review - Part B - Hull characteristics and efficiency. Australian Government - Fisheries Research and Development Corporation report. 1-27.
- Tyedmers P. 2001. Energy consumed by North Atlantic fisheries. Fisheries Centre Research Report. In: Zeller D, Watson R, Pauly D, editors. Fisheries impacts on North Atlantic ecosystems: catch, effort and national/regional datasets, 9:3, Vancouver: Fisheries Centre, University of British Columbia, 12-34.
- Thrane M. 2004a. Environmental impacts from Danish fish products - Hot spots and environmental policies. Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Development and Planning, Aalborg University, Denmark. 535.
- Thrane M. 2004b. Energy consumption in the Danish fishery: identification of key factors. J Ind Ecol 8, 223-239. (DOI:10.1162/1088198041269427)
- Ziegler F and Hausson PA. 2003. Emissions from fuel combustion in Swedish cod fishery. J Cleaner Prod 11, 303-314. (DOI:10.1016/S0959-6526(02)00050-1) https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-6526(02)00050-1
- Ziegler F. 2007. Environmental life cycle assessment of seafood products from capture fisheries. Int J Life Cycle Assess 12, 61. (DOI:10.1065/ lca2006.11.286) https://doi.org/10.1065/lca2006.11.286
- Ziegler F, Eichelsheim JL, Emauelsson A, Flysjo A, Ndiaye V and Thrane M. 2009. Life Cycle Assessment of southern pink shrimp products from SENEGAL: An environmental comparison between artisanal fisheries in the Casamance region and a trawl fishery based in Dakar. FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Circular No. 1044. 1-32.
- Winther U, Ziegler F, Hognes ES, Emanuelsson A, Sund V and Ellingsen H. 2009. Carbon footprint and energy use of Norwegian seafood products. SINTEF Fisheries and Aquaculture Report. 1-89.