- Volume 53 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Growth of sea cucumber (Apostichopus japonicus, Selenka) to different stocking densities and body sizes, with monitoring and the use of VIE tags
해상에서 VIE 추적 조사에 의한 양성 기구의 수용 밀도 및 개체 크기별 해삼 (Apostichopus japonicus, Selenka)의 성장 비교
- MOON, Sunju (South Sea Fisheries Research Institute, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- KWON, Inyeong (Department of Fisheries Science, Graduate School, Chonnam National University) ;
- KIM, Taeho (Division of Marine Technology, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2016.12.19
- Accepted : 2017.02.11
- Published : 2017.02.28
The objective of this study was to investigate the growth rate and the optimal stocking density of sea cucumbers. Grow-out was studied in situ by conducting a follow-up survey using visible implant elastomer (VIE) tags. The rearing systems were made of polypropylene pipe for the frames and netting. The experiment ran for 70 days near Yeosu, Korea in the water depth of about 7 m. A total of 576 sea cucumbers which have three groups of body sizes (small: 5.15, medium: 12.34 and large: 23.26 g) were used. The five groups of stocking densities (150, 300, 450, 600 and
Apostichopus japonicus;Stocking density;SGR;Rearing system for sea cucumber;VIE Tag
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Asha PS and Diwakar K. 2013. Effect of stocking density on the hatching rate, larval and early juvenile rearing of edible sea cucumber Holothuria scabra (Jaeger, 1883). Indian J Geo-Mar Sci 42, 191-195.
- Bao J, Dong S, Tian X, Wang F, Gao Q and Dong Y. 2010. Metabolic rates and biochemical compositions of Apostichopus japonicus (Selenka) tissue during periods of inactivity. Chin J Ocean Limnol 28, 218-223. (DOI:10.1007/s00343-010-9016-3) https://doi.org/10.1007/s00343-010-9016-3
- Battaglene SC and Bell JD. 1999. Potential of the tropical Indo-Pacific sea cucumber, Holothuria scabra, for stock enhancement. Stock enhancement and sea ranching. Oxford UK: Blackwell Science, 478-490.
- Battaglene SC, Seymour JE and Ramofafia C. 1999. Survival and growth of cultured juvenile sea cucumbers, Holothuria scabra. Aquaculture 178(3), 293-322. (DOI:10.1016/S0044-8486(99)00130-1) https://doi.org/10.1016/S0044-8486(99)00130-1
- Beveridge MCM. 1996. Cage Aquaculture. Fishing News Books Carlton. 346.
- Buck CL and Barnes BM. 2000. Effects of ambient temperature on metabolic rate, respiratory quotient, and torpor in an arctic hibernator. Am J Physiol Regulatory, Integrative Comp Physiol 279, R255-R262. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpregu.2000.279.1.R255
- Chang YQ, Yu CQ, Song X. 2004. Pond culture of sea cucumber, Apostichopus japonicus in Dalian. In: Lovatelli A, Conand C, Purcell S, Uthicke S, Hamel J-F, Mercier Aeds. Advances in Sea Cucumber Aquaculture and Management. FAO Rome Italy. 269-272.
- Chen Y. 2004. Present status and prospects of sea cucumber industry in China. In: Advances in sea cucumber aquaculture and management. FAO Rome Italy, 269-272.
- Dong G, Dong S, Wang F and Tian X. 2010a. Effects of materials, incubation time and colors of artificial shelters on behavior of juvenile sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicus. Aquacult Eng 43, 1-5. (DOI:10.1016/j.aquaeng.2010.01.002) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaeng.2010.01.002
- Dong S, Liang M, Gao Q Wang F, Dong Y and Tian X. 2010b. Intra-specific effects of sea cucumber (Apostichopus japonicus) with reference to stocking density and body size. Aquacult Res 41(8), 1170-1178. (DOI:10.1111/j.1365-2109.2009.02404.x)
- Dong Y, Dong S, Tian X, Wang F and Zhang M. 2006. Effects of diel temperature fluctuations on growth, oxygen consumption and proximate body composition in the sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicus Selenka. Aquaculture 255, 514-521. (DOI:10.1016/j.aquaculture. 2005.12.013) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2005.12.013
- Guppy M and Withers P. 1999. Metabolic depression in animals: physiological perspectives and biochemical generalizations. Bio Rev 74, 1-40. (DOI:10.1111/j.1469-185X.1999.tb00180.x)
- Jackson DC. 2002. Hibernating without oxygen: physiological adaptations of the painted turtle. J Physiol 543, 731-737. (DOI:10.1113/jphysiol.2002.024729) https://doi.org/10.1113/jphysiol.2002.024729
- Kirshenbaum S, Feindel S and Chen Y. 2006. A study of tagging methods for the sea cucumber Cucumaria frondosa in the waters off Maine. Fish Bull 104(2), 299-302.
- Kang SJ, Kang SW, Kang JH, Jeong WC, Jin SD, Choi BD and Han JC. 2012. Sea cucumber aquaculture technology. Aquainfo 426.
- Kim BG. 2005. A study on the development of a fish trap-culture apparatus for sea cucumber. Master Thesis, Cheju Nat'l Univ 60 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Kim TH, Yoon HS, Shin SS, Oh MH, Kwon IY, Lee JH, Choi SD and Jeong KS. 2015. Physical and biological evaluation of co-culture cage systems for grow-out of juvenile abalone, Haliotis discus hannai, with juvenile sea cucumber, Apostichopus japonicus (Selenka), with CFD analysis and indoor seawater tanks. Aquaculture 447, 86-101. (DOI:10.1016/j.aquaculture.2014.07.001) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2014.07.001
- KOSIS 2015. Total fishery production. Retrieved from http://www.kostat.go.kr.
- Levin VS. 1982. Japanese sea cucumber. Academy of Sciences, Vladivostok, Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, 191.
- Li L and Li Q. 2010. Effects of stocking density, temperature, and salinity on larval survival and growth of the red race of the sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicus (Selenka). Aquacul Int 18, 447-460. (DOI:10.1007/s10499-009-9256-4) https://doi.org/10.1007/s10499-009-9256-4
- Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MIFAFF). 2012. A study on pilot study for sea cucumber. 450 (in Korean).
- Li X, Dong S, Lei Y and Li Y. 2007. The effect of stocking density of Chinese mitten crab Eriocheir sinensis on rice and crab seed yields in rice-crab culture systems. Aquaculture 273, 487-493. (DOI:10.1016/j.aquaculture.2007.10.028) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2007.10.028
- Liu X, Gu B and Zhang X. 2002. Analyses and counter measures on common problems occurring in hatcheries of sea cucumber. Mod Fish Mes 26-27.
- Oh MH 2013. Performance evaluation of subsurface cage system for sea cucumber, Apostichopus japonicus, grow-out by numerical modeling and in-situ tests. Ph.D. Thesis, Chonnam Nat'l Univ Korea, p. 32 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Pitt R, Duy NDQ, Duy TV and Long HTC. 2004. Sandfish (Holothuria scabra) with shrimp (Litopenaeus Stylirostris) co-culture tank trials. SPC beche-de-mer Information Bull 20, 12-22.
- Purcell SW, Blockmans BF and Nash WJ. 2006. Efficacy of chemical markers and physical tags for large-scale release of an exploited holothurian. J Exp Mar Bio Eco 334(2), 283-293. (DOI:10.1016/j.jembe.2006.02.007) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jembe.2006.02.007
- Qin C, Dong S, Tan F, Tian X, Wang F, Dong Y and Gao Q. 2009. Optimization of stocking density for the sea cucumber, Apostichopus japonicus Selenka, under feed-supplement and non-feed-supplement regimes in pond culture. J Ocean Univ Chin 8(3), 296-302. (DOI:10.1007/s11802-009-0296-1) https://doi.org/10.1007/s11802-009-0296-1
- Ramofafia C, Foyle TP and Bell JD. 1997. Growth of juvenile Actinopyga mauritiana (Holothuroidea) in captivity. Aquaculture 152(1), 119-128. (DOI:10.1016/S0044-8486(96)01525-6) https://doi.org/10.1016/S0044-8486(96)01525-6
- Rowlanda SJ, Mifsuda C, Nixona M and Boydb P. 2006. Effects of stocking density on the performance of the Australian freshwater silver perch (Bidyanus bidyanus) in cages. Aquaculture 253, 301-308. (DOI:10.1016/j.aquaculture.2005.04.049) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2005.04.049
- Slater MJ and Carton AG. 2007. Survivorship and growth of the sea cucumber Australostichopus (Stichopus) mollis (Hutton 1872) in polyculture trials with green-lipped mussel farms. Aquaculture 272(1), 389-398. (DOI:10.1016/j.aquaculture.2007.07.230) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2007.07.230
- Tanikawa E, Akiba M and Yoshitani S. 1955. Studies on the nutritive value of the meat of sea cucumber (Stichopus japonicus, Selenka)- II. Seasonal changes of chemical components of the meat of Stichopus japonicus. Bull Faculty Fish Hokkaido Univ 5, 341-345.
- Schmittou HR. 1996. Freshwater cage fish culture and the environment in China. Book of Abstracts, World Aquaculture '96 World Aquacul Soc, 358-359.
- Sloan NA. 1984. Echinoderm fisheries of the world: A review. In: Keegan. BF. O'Connor BDS (eds) Echinodermata (Proceedings of the 15th international echinoderm conference). A A Balkema Publishers Rotterdam, 109-124.
- Wilz M and Heldmaier G. 2000. Comparison of hibernation, aestivation and daily torpor in the edible dormouse, Glisglis. J Comp Physiol B, 170, 511-521. (DOI:10.1007/s003600000129) https://doi.org/10.1007/s003600000129
- Wu Z. 2000. Current status and sustainability of cage culture in reservoirs: a case study in China. In 1. International Symposium on Cage Aquaculture in Asia, Tungkang, Pintung(Taiwan), 2-6 Nov 1999. AFS; WAS-SC.
- Yang H, Yuan X, Zhou Y, Mao Y, Zhang T and Liu Y. 2005. Effects of body size and water temperature on food consumption and growth in the sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicus (Selenka) with special reference to aestivation. Aquacul Res 36, 1085-1092. (DOI:10.1111/j.1365-2109.2005.01325.x) https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2109.2005.01325.x
- Yu D and Song B. 1999. Variation of survival rates and growth characteristics of pond cultural juvenile Apostichopus japnicus. J Fish Sci Chin 6, 119-120.