- Volume 53 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The influences of encircling gill net fishery on fish organisms
선자망어업이 어업생물에 미치는 영향
- HAN, Inwoo (Division of Fisheries Science, Chonnam National University) ;
- YOON, Euna (Division of Marine Technology, Chonnam National University) ;
- OH, Wooseok (Division of Fisheries Science, Chonnam National University) ;
- LEE, Kyounghoon (Division of Marine Technology, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2017.01.31
- Accepted : 2017.02.22
- Published : 2017.02.28
Encircling gill net fishery is a kind of gill net which is generally used in shallow coastal waters. After the fish have been encircled by the gill net, noise stimulus such as a stone or sound is used to force them to gill or entangle themselves in the netting surrounding them. Although the fishing by a stone is a traditional fishing method, it is considered as an illegal fishing method by physical stimulus such as explosives and mechanical vibrator. However, this illegal fishing method has raised some problems to the fishing boat of other fisheries or many anglers due to disturb aggregating fish schools. This study is aimed to provide scientific base data to verify whether to impact the ecosystem caused by this encircling gill net. This study exhibited that the impulse noise by concrete sphere in the encircling gill net was
Ecosystem impacts;Encircling gill net;Stimulus;Impulse noise level
Supported by : 해양수산부
- Ahn JY, Choi CM and Lee CH. 2011. Auditory characteristics of tiger shark scyliorhinus torazame caught in the coast of jeju island. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 47, 234-240. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2011.47.3.234) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2011.47.3.234
- Ahn JY, Lee CH, Kim YJ and Park YS. 1999. The auditory thresholds and fish behaviors to the underwater sounds for luring of target secies at the set-net in the coast of Cheju (II) -Critical ratios of the yellow tail (Seriola quinqueradiata)-. Bull Korean Soc Fish Tech 35, 19-24.
- Ahn JY, Park YS, Choi CM, Kim SJ and Lee CH. 2012. Hearing ability of conger eel conger myriaster caught in the Coast of jeju island. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 48, 479-486. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2013.48.4.479) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2012.48.4.479
- Choi HG, Shin HI and Hwang DJ. 1999. A study on spectrum analysis of the underwater noise by engine generating in small fishing boat. Bull Korean Soc Fish Tech 35, 323-327.
- Cummings J and Brandom N. 2004. Sonic impact: a precautionary assessment of noise pollution from ocean seismic surveys. Greenpeace Report, 1-45.
- Hastings MC and Popper AN. 2005. Effect of sound on fish. California Department of Transportation Contract 43A0139 Tast Order, 1. 82.
- Hastings MC, Popper AN, Finneran JJ and Landford PJ. 1996. Effects of low frequency underwater sound on hair cells of the inner ear and the lateral line of the Teleost fish (Astononus ocellatus). J Acoustic Soc Am 99, 1759-1765. (DOI:10.1121/1.414699) https://doi.org/10.1121/1.414699
- Hatakeyama Y. 1989. Masking effect on the hearing of red sea bream, Pagrus major, by ambient noise. Int J Aq Fish Technol 1, 271-277.
- Jung MS, Lee KD, Ko JS and Bae JH. 2014. Irradiance distribution analysis of a squid jigging vessel using an LED plus metal halide fishing lamp combination under optimized conditions. Korean Journal of Optics and Photonics 25, 315-325. (DOI:10.3807/kjop.2014.25.6.315) https://doi.org/10.3807/KJOP.2014.25.6.315
- Kim SB. 1990. A study on the sources of ambient sea noise in the coastal water of Pusan. Bull Korean Fish Tech Soc 26, 180-183.
- Kim SH, Lee CH, Seo DO and Kim YJ. 2002. A basic study on acoustic conditioning of fish suitable for a marine ranch -1. The sound sensitivity of Japanese parrot fish Oplegnathus fasciatus-. J Korean Fish Soc 35, 563-567. (DOI:10.5657/kfas.2002.35.6.563)
- Lee CH, Kim BY, Chung YJ and Seo DK. 1997. A thronging response of the shoal of rudder fish, Seriola Dumerili (Risso) to audible underwater sound. Bull Korean Soc Fish Tech, 33. 285-289.
- Lee CH, Park YS, Moon JW, Ahn JY, Kim SJ and Seo DO. 1999. The hearing ability of the scorpion fish Sebastiscus marmoratus to audible sound, 1. The auditory threshold. Bull Korean Soc Fish Technol 35, 156-160.
- Lim DK, Shin YC and Jun YB. 2010. A study on the establishment of management criteria for underwater noise. Journal of Korean Society of Explosive &Blasting Engineering 28, 119-132.
- McCauley RD, Fewtrell J and Popper AN. 2002. High intensity anthropogenic sound damages fish ears. J Acoust Soc Am 113, 638-642.
- NFRDI, 2002. Fishing gear of Korea. Hangul Graphics, Busan, Korea, 503-507.
- O'Brien PE, Arnt W, Everson I, Gohl K, Gordon JCD, Goss K, Kremser U, Laws R, Martin T, Ploetz J, Rodhouse PG, Rogers T, Thompson D, Sexton M, Wilson R and Woehler E. 2002. Impacts of marine acoustic technology on the Antarctic environment, SCAR Ad Hoc Group on marine acoustic technology and the environment.
- Park TG, Shin HI, Kim KY and Shin HO. 1999. A study on the characteristics of the underwater ambient noise and biological noise in fish farm cages. Bull Korean Soc Fish Tech 35, 41-49.
- Shin HO. 1995. Effect of the piling work noise on the behavior of snakehead (Channa argus) in the aquafarm. J Korean Fish Soc 28, 492-502.
- Shin HO. 2000. Effect of dynamite explosion work noise on behavior of israeli Carp, Cyprinus carpio in the cage of aquaculture. J Korean Fish Soc 33, 348-355.
- Yang YR. 1980. Phototaxis of fish (2) - Response of rook bream and grass puffer to the white lights -. Bull Korean Fish Tech Soc 16, 27-35.
- Yoon GD. 1981. The underwater noise of fishing boat. Bull Korean Fish Soc 14, 260-264.