- Volume 53 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Overview of anthropogenic underwater sound effects and sound exposure criteria on fishes
어류에 미치는 인위적인 수중소음 영향과 피해기준에 대한 고찰
- PARK, Jihyun (Department of Information and Communications Engineering, Pukyong National University) ;
- YOON, Jong-Rak (Department of Information and Communications Engineering, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2017.01.09
- Accepted : 2017.02.16
- Published : 2017.02.28
A scientific and objective sound exposure criterion for underwater sound damage on fish has been required since there has been many disputes between an underwater sound maker and a fish damage receiver. The existing criteria are still incomplete scientifically owing to a degree of variability of underwater sounds, diversity of fish hearing sensitivity and damage types, etc. This study reviews existing studies on a hearing mechanism of fish species, manmade underwater sound characteristics and sound exposure assessment parameters, and recent sound exposure criteria. A governing equation for damage coverage estimation and damage coverage dependency on sound source level, ambient noise and transmission loss are also reviewed and interpreted based on sound exposure environments. The foreign and Korean (National Environmental Dispute Medication Commission) criteria are reviewed and compared based on scientific aspects. In addition, the deficit and limit of Korean criteria are presented. The objective of this study is to give a direction for related researches and legislation of sound exposure criteria on fish.
Underwater noise pollution;Sound exposure criteria;Underwater sound damage;Fish hearing threshold;Impulsive sound
Supported by : 부경대학교
- Abbott R and Bing-Sawyer E. 2002. Assessment of pile driving impacts on the Sacramento blackfish, Orthodon microlepidotus. Draft report prepared for Caltrans District 4.
- Ahn JY, Lee CH, Kim YJ and Park YS. 1999. The auditory thresholds and fish behaviors to the underwater sounds for luring of target species at the set-net in the coast of Cheju (II)-Critical ratios of the yellow tail (Seriola quinqueradiata). Bull Korean Soc Fish Tech 35(1), 19-24.
- ASA S3/SC1.4 TR-2014. 2014. Sound Exposure Guidelines for Fishes and Sea Turtles: A Technical Report prepared by ANSI -Accredited Standards Committee S3/SC1 and registered with ANSI. Springer and ASA Press, Cham, Switzerland, 73.
- Au WWL and Moore PWB. 1990. Critical ratio and critical bandwidth for the Atlantic bottlenose dolphin. J Acoust Soc Am 88, 1635-1638. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.400323
- Bae JW, Park JH and Yoon JR. 2009. Characteristics of impulsive noise of waterfront construction site and its effects on fishes. Trans KSNVE 19, 928-934. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVN.2009.19.9.928
- Carlson T, Hastings M and Popper AN. 2007. Update on recommendations for revised interim sound exposure criteria for fish during pile driving activities. Memorandum.
- Caltrans. 2009. Technical guidance for assessment and mitigation of the hydroacoustic effects of pile driving on fish, 367.
- Cho MK. 2013. Physiological effects of construction noise on fresh water fish farming. PhD. dissertation, Chungbuk National University, Korea.
- Choi BK, Kim BC, Kim C and Kim BN. 2003. Analysis of dependence on wind speed and ship traffic of underwater ambient noise at shallow sea surrounding the Korean peninsula. J Acoust Soc Kor 22(3), 233-241.
- Choi TH, Kim JH, Song HL and Ko CS. 2015. Suggestion of safety level in fish farming by impulsive sound. Tunnel & Underground Space 25(2), 125-132. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2015.25.2.125
- Coombs S and Montgomery JC. 1999. The enigmatic lateral line system, In: Fay, R. R., and Popper, A. N. (eds.) Comparative Hearing: Fish and Amphibians. Springer-Verlag, New York, 319-362.
- Dahl PH. 2013. The underwater sound field from impact pile driving and its potential effects on marine life. Acoustic Today 11, 18-25.
- Crum LA and Mao Y. 1996. Acoustically enhanced bubble growth at low frequencies and its implications for human diver and marine mammal safety. J Acoust Soc Am 99, 2898-2907. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.414859
- Denton EJ and Gray JAB. 1989. Some observations on the forces acting on neuromasts in fish lateral line canals, In: The mechanosensory lateral line-neurobiology and evolution (Coombs S, Gorner P, Munz M, eds), Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 229-246.
- Denton EJ and Gray JAB. 1993. Stimulation of the acoustico-lateraline system of clupeid fish by external sources and their own movements. Phil Trans Roy Soc Lond Ser B 341, 113-127. https://doi.org/10.1098/rstb.1993.0096
- Division of Ocean Technology, Chonnam National Univ. 2006. Judgement report on fish farm damage by Godal bridge construction, 267.
- Eaton RC, Lavender WA and Wieland CM. 1981. Identification of mauthner-initial-response patterns in the goldfish, evidence from simultaneous cinematography and electrophysiology. J Comp Physiol 144, 521-531. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01326837
- Engas A, Misund OA, Soldal AV, Horvei B and Solstad A. 1995. Reactions of penned herring and cod to playback of original, frequency-filtered and time-smoothed vessel sound. Fisheries Res 22, 243-254. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-7836(94)00317-P
- Fay RR. 2011. Signal-to-noise ratio for source determination and for a comodulated masker in goldfish, Carassius auratus. J Acoust Soc Am 129(5), 3367-3372. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.3562179
- Fisheries hydroacoutic working group-Federal Highway Administration. 2008. Agreement in principle for interim criteria for injury to fish from pile driving activities. Memorandum.
- Fisheries Science Institute, Chonnam National Univ. 2009. In-land fish farm damage and remuneration amount on sound and vibration by near-by construction. 133.
- Gilham ID and Baker BI. 1985. A black background facilitates the response to stress in teleosts. J Endocrinol 105, 99-105. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1050099
- Goertner JF. 1978. Dynamical model for Explosion injury to fish. Naval Surface Weapons Center White Oak Lab, Silver Spring, MD Report No, NSWC/WOL/TR-76-155.
- Hastings MC. 1990. Effects of underwater sound on fish. Document No 46254-900206-01IM, Project No. 401775-1600.
- Hastings MC. 1995. Physical effects of noise on fishes. Proceedings of INTER-NOISE 95; The 1995 International Congress on Noise Control Engineering, vol. II, 979-984.
- Hastings MC, Popper AN, Finneran JJ and Lanford PJ. 1996. Effect of low frequency underwater sound on hair cells of the inner ear and lateral line of the teleost fish, Astronotus ocellatus. J Acoust Soc Am 99, 1759-1766. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.414699
- Hastings MC and Popper AN. 2005. Effects of sound on fish. California Department of Transportation Contract 43A0139 Task Order 1, 82.
- Hamernik RP and Hsueh KD. 1991. Impulse noise: some definitions, physical acoustics, and other considerations. J Acoust Soc Am 90, 189-196. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.401287
- Hawkins AD and Chapman CJ. 1975. Masked auditory thresholds in the cod, Gadus morhua. J Comp Physiol 103, 209-226. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00617122
- Ingemansson, 2003. Utgrunden off-shore wind farm-Measurements of underwater noise report 11-00329-03012700, 30.
- Institute of Sound and Vibration Engr, Pukyong National Univ. 2007. Consultant report on fish farm damage by Godal bridge construction, 142.
- Kane AS, Song J, Halvorsen MB et al. 2010. Exposure of fish to high intensity sonar does not induce acute pathology. J Fish Biol 76, 1825-1840. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.2010.02626.x
- Kang, DW. 1998. Gumiseokwan, Seoul, 261-270.
- Kinsler LE, Frey AR, Coppens AB and Sanders JV. 2000. Fundamentals of Acoustics. 4thed.JohnWiley&Sons, NewYork, 113-126;310-321.
- Korea Inter-University Institute of Ocean Science, Pukyong National University. 2005. Fisheries damage by rock removal process for Busan New Port emergency passage, 271.
- Korea Inter-University Institute of Ocean Science, Pukyong National University. 2007. Fisheries damage by Busan-Kimhae light railroad construction, 188.
- Korea Inter-University Institute of Ocean Science, Pukyong National University. 2014. Fisheries damage by National Highway 600-Busan outer circle road construction, 254.
- Ladich F and Popper AN. 2004. Parallel evolution in fish hearing organs: In Evolution of the Vertebrate Auditory System. Springer-Verlag, New York, 98-127.
- Lee CH. 2000. Study on auditory characteristics of fishes around the coast of Cheju island in Korea. PhD. dissertation, Jeju National University, 108.
- Lee CH. 2009. Stress response of black rock fish according to adapted time in measurement of auditory threshold. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 45(4), 260-266. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2009.45.4.260
- Madsen PT, Wahlberg M, Tougaard J, K. Lucke JK and Tyack P. 2006. Wind turbine underwater noise and marine mammals: implications of current knowledge and data needs. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 309, 279-295. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps309279
- Mitson RB. 1995. Underwater noise of research vessels. Cooperative research report; international council for the exploration of the sea, 65.
- Hamernik RP and Hsueh KD. 1991. Impulse noise: some definitions, physical acoustics and other considerations. J Acoust Soc Am 90, 189-196. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.401287
- Muller A and Zerbs C. 2011, Niederlassung Hamburg offshore wind farms measuring instruction for underwater sound monitoring. Muller-BBM GmbH, 62.
- Mitson RB and Knudsen HP. 2003. Causes and effects of underwater noise on fish abundance estimation. Aquatic Liv Res 16, 255-263. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0990-7440(03)00021-4
- National Environmental Dispute Medication Commission, 2010. Environmental dispute medication cases of provinces.
- Nedwell JR, Edwards B, Turnpenny AWH and Gordon J. 2004. Fish and marine mammal audiograms: A summary of available information. Subacoustech report 534R0214, 278.
- Nedwell J, Mason T, Barham R and Cheesman S. 2012. Assessing the environmental impact of underwater noise during offshore windfarm construction and operation. Proceedings of Acoustics 2012, Fremantle, Australia, 1-5.
- Ona E, Godo OR and Handegard NO. 2007. Silent research vessels are not quiet. J Acoust Soc Am 121, EL145-EL150. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.2710741
- Popper AN and Clarke NL. 1976. The auditory system of the goldfish, Carassius auratus: Effects of intense acoustic stimulation. Comp Biochem Physiol A53, 11-18.
- Popper AN, Fay RR, Platt C and Sand O. 2003. Sound detection mechanisms and capabilities of teleost fishes: In sensory processing in aquatic environments. Springer-Verlag, New York, 3-38.
- Popper AN, Halvorsen MB and Kane E. 2007. The effects of high-intensity, low-frequency active sonar on rainbow trout. J Acoust Soc Am 122, 623-635. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.2735115
- Richardson WJ, Greene CR, Malme CI and Thompson DH. 1995. Marine mammals and noise. Academic Press, San Diego.
- Sara G, Dean JM and D'Amato D. 2007. Effect of boat noise on the behaviour of bluefin tuna, Thunnus thynnus in the Mediterranean sea. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 331, 243-253. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps331243
- Seo YJ, Kim SH, Kim BY, Lee CH and Seo DO. 2003. A fundamental study on the auditory characteristics of Amberjack Seriola dumerili in the coast of the Jeju island. Bull Korean Soc Fish Tech 39(4), 269-274. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2003.39.4.269
- Smith ME, Kane AS and Popper AN. 2004. Noise-induced stress response and hearing loss in goldfish, Carassius auratus. J Exp Biol 207, 427-435. https://doi.org/10.1242/jeb.00755
- Shin HO. 2000. Effect of the filing work noise on behavior of Israeli carp, Cyprinus carpio in the cage of aquaculture. J Kor Fish Soc 33, 348-355.
- Shin HO. 1995. Effect of dynamite explosion work noise on the behavior of snakehead, Channa argus. J Kor Fish Soc 28, 492-502.
- Southall BL, Schusterman RJ and Kastak D. 2001. Masking in three pinnipeds: underwater low-frequency critical ratios. J Acoust Soc Am 108,1322-1326
- Subacoustech Ltd. A review of offshore windfarm related underwater noise sources Report No. 544 R 0308, 57.
- Suga T, Akamatsu T, Kawabe R, Hiraishi T and Yamamoto K. 2005. Method for underwater measurement of the auditory brainstem response of fish. Fisheries Science 2005, 71, 1115-1119.
- Tavolga WN. 1974. Signal/noise ratio and the critical band in fishes, J Acoust Soc Am 55, 1323-1333. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.1914704
- Urick RJ. 1983. Principle of underwater sound. 3rded.McGraw-Hill,NewYork,17-30;147-236.
- Wahlberg M and Westerberg H. 2005. Hearing in fish and their reactions to sounds from offshore wind farms, Mar Ecol Prog Ser, 288, 295-309. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps288295
- Wysocki LE, Davidson JW III, Smith ME. 2007. Effects of aquaculture production noise on hearing, growth, and disease resistance of rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss. Aquaculture 272, 687-697. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2007.07.225
- Yelverton JT, Richmond DR, Hicks W, Saunders K and Fletcher ER. 1975. The Relationship between fish size and their response to underwater blast. Report DNA 3677T, Defense Nuclear Agency, Washington DC.
- Yoon JR, Lee SW and Park KC. 2007. Studies on the characteristics of sound propagation for the passive and active sonars deployed near the bottom of shallow waters. Agency for Defense Development, ADDR-420-071129. 68.
- Yoon JR, Park JH and Seo CW. 2016. Sound level meter for aquatic animal. Korea Patent No 1016281620000.