- Volume 53 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Change of relative fishing power index from technological development in the offshore large powered purse seine fishery
근해대형선망어업에서 어로기술개발에 따른 어획성능지수 변동
- SEO, Young-Il (Fisheries Resources Management Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- HWANG, Kang-Seok (Fisheries Resources Management Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- CHA, Hyung-Kee (Fisheries Resources Management Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- OH, Taeg-Yun (Dokdo Fisheries Research Center, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- JO, Hyun-Su (Department of Marine Production, Kunsan National University) ;
- KIM, Byung-Yeob (Department of Marine Industrial and Maritime Police, Jeju National University) ;
- RYU, Kyong-Jin (Education Management Team, Korea Institute of Maritime and Fisheries Technology) ;
- LEE, Yoo-Won (Education Management Team, Korea Institute of Maritime and Fisheries Technology)
- 서영일 (국립수산과학원 연근해자원과) ;
- 황강석 (국립수산과학원 연근해자원과) ;
- 차형기 (국립수산과학원 연근해자원과) ;
- 오택윤 (국립수산과학원 독도수산연구센터) ;
- 조현수 (군산대학교 해양생산학과) ;
- 김병엽 (제주대학교 해양산업경찰학과) ;
- 류경진 (한국해양수산연수원 교육운영팀) ;
- 이유원 (한국해양수산연수원 교육운영팀)
- Received : 2017.01.19
- Accepted : 2017.02.05
- Published : 2017.02.28
Lots of fishery stocks are overexploited and the overcapacity exists in Korean fishing fleets. One of the reasons is technological development, which increases the efficiency of the vessels continuously. The analysis was conducted to identify the change of fishing power index to develop the vessel and gear technology that may have improved the fishing efficiency of the offshore large powered purse seine fishery from 1960s to 2010s. Gross tonnage and horse power per fishing vessel was increased annually. Fishing gear material was changed to the knotless webbing to settle faster. Fishing equipments was modernized and supply rate was also increased. Therefore the relative fishing power index in the offshore large powered purse seine fishery increased from 0.4 in 1970 to 1.0 in 1980, to 1.5 in 2000 and to 1.6 in 2010, but the rate of increase slowed down gradually. The results are expected to contribute to reasonable fishery stock management.
Fishing power index;Offshore large powered purse seine fishery;Fishing vessel;Fishing gear;Fishing equipments
Supported by : 국립수산과학원
- An HC, Lee KH, Park SW, Park CD and Shin JK. 2007. Assessment of fishing power of common octopus(Octopus minor) trap fishery. J Koran Soc Fish Technol 43(3), 176-182. (DOI:10.3796/ksft.2007.43.3.176) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2007.43.3.176
- Englhard GH. 2008. One hundred and twenty years of change in fishing power of English North Sea trawlers. In: Advances in fisheries science: 50 years on from Beverton and Holt (eds. Payne A, Cotter J and Potter T), Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, 1-25.
- Fisheries cooperatives of large powered purse seine fishery (FCLPPSF). 1992. History of Korean purse seine fishery. 1-431.
- Fitzpatrick J. 1996. Technology and fisheries legislation. In: Precautionary approach to fisheries. FAO Fisheries Technical Paper No. 350, Part 2, FAO, Rome, 191-199.
- Kim CW, Kim YW, Lee JH, Kim OT, Lee JH and Kim YH. 2012. Purse seine fishing gear and fishing method. Hangul Graphics, 1-269.
- Kim DH, An HC, Lee KH and Hwang JW. 2007. Fishing capacity assessment of the octopus coastal trap fishery using data envelopment analysis (DEA). J Koran Soc Fish Technol 43(4), 339-346. (DOI:10.3796/ksft.2007.43.4.339) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2007.43.4.339
- Kim IO, Park CD, Cho SK, Kim HY, Cha BJ and Lee GH. 2015. Mesh selectivity of monofilament and multifilament nylon trammel net for marbled sole (Pleuronectes yokohamae) in the western sea of Korea. J Koran Soc Fish Technol 51(3), 302-311. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.3.302) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.3.302
- Kim IO, Park CD, Cho SK, Kim HY and Cha BJ. 2010. Mesh selectivity of monofilament and multifilament nylon gill net for Marbled sole (Pleuronectes yokohamae) in the western sea of Korea. J Koran Soc Fish Technol 46(4), 281-291. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.4.281) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.4.281
- Kim PK, Lee KH, Kim DH, Lee GH, An HC, Kim SH and Yang YS. 2015a. Estimation of fishing power and fishing capacity on coastal stow net fishery in the Korean waters. J Koran Soc Fish Technol 51(4), 583-591. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.4.583) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.4.583
- Kim SH, Park SW, Bae JH and Kim YH. 2009. Mesh selectivity of drift gill net for Yellow Croaker, Larimichthys polyactis, in the coastal sea of Gageo-do. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 42(5), 518-522. (DOI:10.5657/kfas.2009.42.5.518)
- Kim SH, Park SW, Lee KH and Yang YS. 2012. The estimation of the optimum mesh size selectivity of a drift net for yellow croaker (Larimichthys polyactis) using by the SELECT model. Bull Korean Soc Fish Tech 48(1), 10-19. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2012.48.1.010) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2012.48.1.010
- Jeong EC, Park HH, Bae BS, Chang DS, Kim CS, Choi SH and Cha HK. 2009. Size selectivity of gill net for male Japanese Sandfish (Arctoscopus japonicus) off Gangwon in winter. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 42(1), 78-82. (DOI: 10.5657/kfas.2009.42.1.078)
- Jung BK, Choi JH and Lim SW. 2014. A study on the role of maritime enforcement organization as response of illegal fishing. Jour Fish Mar Sci Edu, 26(4), 769-788. (DOI:10.13000/JFMSE.2014.26.4.769)
- Lee KH, Kim PK, Kim DH, An HC and Lee CW. 2012. Assessment of fishing power and fishing capacity of the snow crab (Chionoecetes opilio) gillnet fishery in the East Sea. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 48(1), 29-39 (DOI:10.3796/ksft.2012.48.1.029). https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2012.48.1.029
- Lee JU. 1991. Estimation on optimum fishing effort of walleye pollock fishery in the east coast of Korea: based on the economic analysis between danish seine fishery and trawl fishaery for walleye pollock. J Fish Bus Admin 22(2), 75-99.
- Lee ZK. 2010. A study on the unlawful fishery control system. Jour Fish Mar Sci Edu 22(3), 3030-315.
- Ministry of Ocean and Fisheries (MOF). 2003. Research on the standardization of fishing effort and the appropriate scale of fishing gear. MOF. 1-347.
- Ministry of Ocean and Fisheries (MOF). 2015. Major statistics of ocean and fisheries. Cree communication. 1-395.
- Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries (MOF). 2016. Fisheries statistics in fisheries information service. http://www.fips.go.kr Accessed 27 Sep, 2016.
- National Fisheries Research and Development Agency (NFRDA). 1970. Fishing gear of Korea (No. 3). Asung Printing co., 1-240.
- National Fisheries Research and Development Agency (NFRDA). 1989. Modern fishing gear of Korea. Yemoonsa, 1-624.
- National Institute of Fisheries Science (NIFS). 2002. Fishing gear of Korea. Hangul Graphics, 1-579.
- National Institute of Fisheries Science (NIFS). 2008. Fishing gear of Korea (revised edition). Hangul Graphics, 1-580.
- National Institute of Fisheries Science (NIFS). 2004. Korean coastal and offshore fishery census (Busan). Hangul Graphics, 1-223.
- Park CD, Bae Jh, Cho SK and Kim IO. 2014. Mesh selectivity of a dome-shaped pot for finely-striate buccinum Buccinum striatissimum in the eastern coastal waters of Korea. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 50(3), 284-291. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.3.284) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.3.284
- Pauly D and Palomares MLD. 2010. An empirical equation to predict annual increases in fishing efficiency. Fisheries Centre Working Paper #2010-07, UBC, Vancouver. 1-12.
- Shin HH, Jung SB, Oh TY, Shin JG, Cho YB, Kim HS. 2010. Investigation of bycatch and discards of funnel net in the coastal waters of Yeosu. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 46(4), 324-334. (DOI:10.3796/ksft.2010.46.4.324) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.4.324
- Statistics. 2016. Fishing fleet statistics in Korean statistical information service. http://kosis.kr Accessed 27 Sep, 2016.
- A study on the forecasting biomass according to the changes in fishing intensity in the Korean waters of the East Sea vol.54, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFOT.2018.54.3.217
- A comparative study on the estimation methods for the potential yield in the Korean waters of the East Sea vol.54, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFOT.2018.54.2.124