- Volume 49 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Contribution of thermal-hydraulic validation tests to the standard design approval of SMART
- Park, Hyun-Sik (Thermal Hydraulics and Severe Accident Research Division, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Kwon, Tae-Soon (Thermal Hydraulics and Severe Accident Research Division, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Moon, Sang-Ki (Thermal Hydraulics and Severe Accident Research Division, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Cho, Seok (Thermal Hydraulics and Severe Accident Research Division, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Euh, Dong-Jin (Thermal Hydraulics and Severe Accident Research Division, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Yi, Sung-Jae (Thermal Hydraulics and Severe Accident Research Division, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute)
- Received : 2017.02.10
- Accepted : 2017.06.08
- Published : 2017.10.25
Many thermal-hydraulic tests have been conducted at the Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute for verification of the SMART (System-integrated Modular Advanced ReacTor) design, the standard design approval of which was issued by the Korean regulatory body. In this paper, the contributions of these tests to the standard design approval of SMART are discussed. First, an integral effect test facility named VISTA-ITL (Experimental Verification by Integral Simulation of Transients and Accidents-Integral Test Loop) has been utilized to assess the TASS/SMR-S (Transient and Set-point Simulation/Small and Medium) safety analysis code and confirm its conservatism, to support standard design approval, and to construct a database for the SMART design optimization. In addition, many separate effect tests have been performed. The reactor internal flow test has been conducted using the SCOP (SMART COre flow distribution and Pressure drop test) facility to evaluate the reactor internal flow and pressure distributions. An ECC (Emergency Core Coolant) performance test has been carried out using the SWAT (SMART ECC Water Asymmetric Two-phase choking test) facility to evaluate the safety injection performance and to validate the thermal-hydraulic model used in the safety analysis code. The Freon CHF (Critical Heat Flux) test has been performed using the FTHEL (Freon Thermal Hydraulic Experimental Loop) facility to construct a database from the
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- A. Lokhov, R. Cameron, V. Sozoniuk, OECD/NEA study on the economics and market of small reactor, Nucl. Eng. Technol. 45 (2013) 701-706. https://doi.org/10.5516/NET.02.2013.517
- S.J. Yi, C.-H. Song, H.S. Park, PX-an innovative safety concept for an unmanned reactor, Nucl. Eng. Technol. 48 (2016) 268-273. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.net.2015.08.011
- H.S. Kim, H.C. No, Y.G. Jo, A.F. Wibisono, B.H. Park, J. Choi, J.I. Lee, Y.H. Jeong, N.Z. Cho, Feasibility study of a dedicated nuclear desalination system: Low-pressure Inherent heat sink Nuclear Desalination plant (LIND), Nucl. Eng. Technol. 47 (2015) 293-305. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.net.2014.12.013
- K.K. Kim, W. Lee, S. Choi, H.R. Kim, J. Ha, SMART: the first licensed advanced integral reactor, J. Energy Power Eng. 8 (2014) 94-102.
- H.S. Park, B.Y. Min, Y.G. Jung, Y.C. Shin, Y.J. Ko, S.-J. Yi, Design of the VISTA-ITL facility for an integral type reactor of SMART and a post-test simulation of a SBLOCA test, Sci. Technol. Nucl. Install. 2014 (2014), 840109.
- Y.J. Chung, I.S. Jun, S.H. Kim, S.H. Yang, H.R. Kim, W.J. Lee, Development and assessment of system analysis code, TASS/SMR for integral reactor, Nucl. Eng. Des. 244 (2012) 52-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2011.12.013
- Y. Cho, S. Cho, Y.J. Ko, K.H. Min, Y.C. Shin, T.S. Kwon, S.J. Yi, W.J. Lee, Experiments on injection performance of SMART ECC facility using SWAT, in: Transactions of the Korean Nuclear Society Spring Meeting, Jeju, Korea, May 17-18, 2012.
- D.J. Euh, Y.J. Yoon, I.C. Chu, T.S. Kwon, S.J. Lee, A flow distribution of SMART reactor for a uniform pump flow, in: Korean Society of Mechanical Engineering Spring Meeting-Thermal Engineering Part, Jeju, Korea, May 23-24, 2012.
- S.Y. Chun, S.D. Hong, H. Kikura, M. Aritomi, Critical heat flux in a heater rod bundle cooled by R-134a fluid near the critical pressure, J. Nucl. Sci. Technol. 44 (2007) 1189-1198. https://doi.org/10.1080/18811248.2007.9711362
- B.D. Chung, S.W. Bae, J.J. Jeong, S.M. Lee, Development and Assessment of Multi-dimensional Flow Models in the Thermal-Hydraulic System Analysis Code MARS, 2005. KAERI/TR-3011/2005.
- H.S. Park, K.Y. Choi, S. Cho, S.J. Yi, C.K. Park, M.K. Chung, Experimental study on the natural circulation of a passive residual heat removal system for an integral reactor following a safety related event, Ann. Nucl. Energy 35 (2008) 2249-2258. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2008.09.006
- H.S. Park, B.Y. Min, Y.C. Shin, N.H. Choi, Y.J. Chung, W.J. Lee, S.J. Yi, Major results of SBLOCA tests with VISTA-ITL for the SMART design, in: Transactions of the Korean Nuclear Society Spring Meeting, Jeju, Korea, May 17-18, 2012.
- H.S. Park, B.G. Jeon, H. Bae, Y.C. Shin, S.J. Yi, An integral effect test of a complete loss of reactor coolant system flowrate for the SMART design using the VISTA-ITL facility and its simulation with the MARS-KS code, J. Sci. Technol. 54 (2017) 348-355.
- B.Y. Min, H.S. Park, Y.C. Shin, S.J. Yi, K.W. Lee, Experimental verification on the integrity and performance of the passive residual heat removal system for SMART design with VISTA-ITL, Ann. Nucl. Energy 71 (2014) 118-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2014.03.001
- Y.J. Chung, H.J. Kim, B.D. Chung, W.J. Lee, M.H. Kim, Thermo-hydraulic characteristics of the helically coiled tube and the condensate heat exchanger for SMART, Ann. Nucl. Energy 55 (2013) 49-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2012.11.026
- H.S. Park, S.J. Yi, C.H. Song, SMR accident simulation in experimental test loop, Nucl. Eng. Int. 58 (2013) 12-15.
- B.J. Yun, H.K. Cho, D.J. Euh, C.-H. Song, G.C. Park, Scaling for the ECC bypass phenomena during the LBLOCA reflood phase, Nucl. Eng. Des. 231 (2004) 315-325. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2004.04.005
- S.W. Akhtar, S.K. Moon, S.Y. Chun, S.D. Hong, W.P. Baek, Modeling capability of R134a for a critical heat flux of water in a vertical 5x5 rod bundle geometry, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 49 (2006) 1299-1309. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2005.10.019