- Volume 49 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Unsteady heat exchange at the dry spent nuclear fuel storage
- Alyokhina, Svitlana (Department of Modeling and Identification of Thermal Processes, A.N. Podgorny Institute for Mechanical Engineering Problems of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine) ;
- Kostikov, Andrii (Department of Modeling and Identification of Thermal Processes, A.N. Podgorny Institute for Mechanical Engineering Problems of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine)
- Received : 2017.02.28
- Accepted : 2017.07.20
- Published : 2017.10.25
Unsteady thermal processes in storage containers with spent nuclear fuel were modeled. The daily fluctuations of outer ambient temperatures were taken into account. The modeling approach, which is based on the solving of conjugate and inverse heat transfer problems, was verified by comparison of measured and calculated temperatures in outer channels. The time delays in the reaching of maximal temperatures for each spent fuel assembly were calculated. Results of numerical investigations show that daily fluctuation of outer temperatures does not have a large influence on the maximal temperatures of stored spent fuel, so that fluctuation can be neglected and only daily average temperature should be considered for safety estimation using the "best estimation" approach.
Supported by : International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
- IAEA Nuclear Fuel Cycle Information System, Nuclear Fuel Cycle Facilities, 2015. Retrieved from https://infcis.iaea.org/NFCIS/Facilities. (Accessed September2015).
- W.E. Lee, M.I. Ojovan, C.M. Jantzen, Radioactive Waste Management and Contaminated Site Clean-up: Processes, Technologies and International Experience, Woodhead, Cambridge, 2013, p. 924.
- Appropriate Conservatism in Safety Cases, The UK Nuclear Industry Guide, Nuclear Industry Safety Directors Forum, 2015, p. 25.
- Preparation of Nonreactor Nuclear Facility Documented Safety Analysis, DOE-STD-3009-2014, U.S. Department of Energy, 2014, p. 92.
- R.P. Martin, Industry approach to BE Applications-Past and Future, BE-2004: International Meeting on Updates in Best Estimate Methods in Nuclear Installation Safety Analysis, 14-18 Nov 2004, pp. 37-43. Washington, DC (United States).
- Best Estimate Safety Analysis for Nuclear Power Plants: Uncertainty Evaluation, Safety Reports Series No. 52, IAEA, Vienna, 2008, p. 211.
- G. Lebon, Ph Mathieu, J. Van Vliet, Modeling of the transient heat transfer in a nuclear reactor fuel rod using a variational procedure, Nucl. Eng. Des. 51 (1979) 133-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/0029-5493(79)90085-2
- R. Othman, Steady State and Transient Analysis of Heat Conduction in Nuclear Fuel Elements, Master's Degree Project, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden, 2004.
- N.K. Talukder, Unsteady heat conduction in the soil layers above underground repository for spent nuclear fuel, Warme Stoffubertrag. Zeitschr 36 (2000) 143-146.
- J.A. Fort, J.M. Cuta, C.S. Bajwa, E. Baglietto, Modeling heat transfer in spent fuel transfer cask neutron shields: a challenging problem in natural convection, ASME 2010 Pressure Vessels and Piping Division/K-PVP Conference, doi: 10.1115/PVP2010-25752. https://doi.org/10.1115/PVP2010-25752
- S.Y. Lee, Heat Transfer Modeling of Dry Spent Nuclear Fuel Storage Facilities, Proceedings of I999 ASME National Heat Transfer Conference, Albuquerque, New Mexico, August 15-17, 1999.
- N.R. Chalasani, M. Greiner, Natural convection/radiation heat transfer simulations of enclosed array of vertical rods, Packag. Transp. Storage Secur. Radioact. Mater. 20 (2009) 117-125. https://doi.org/10.1179/174650909X12494858706276
- Y.J. Kwon, Finite element analysis of transient heat transfer in and around a deep geological repository for a spent nuclear fuel disposal canister and the heat generation of the spent nuclear fuel, Nucl. Sci. Eng. 164 (2010) 264-286. https://doi.org/10.13182/NSE09-11
- Ch Burnham, M. Dreifke, Ch Ahn, D. Shell, A. Giminaro, M. Shanahan, Spent Nuclear Fuel Storage in a Molten Salt Pool, University of Tennessee Honors Thesis Projects, 2012.
- R. Poskas, V. Simonis, P. Poskas, A. Sirvydas, Thermal analysis of CASTOR RBMK-1500 casks during long-term storage of spent nuclear fuel, Ann. Nucl. Energy 99 (2017) 40-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2016.09.031
- S. Alyokhina, A. Kostikov, S. Kruhlov, Safety issues of the dry storage of the spent nuclear fuel, Probl. At. Sci. Technol. 2 (2017) 70-74.
- I.I. Zalyubovskii, S.A. Pismenetskii, V.G. Rudychev, S.P. Klimov, A.E. Luchnaya, E.V. Rudychev, External radiation of a container used for dry storage of spent VVER-1000 nuclear fuel from the Zaporozhie nuclear power plant, At. Energy 109 (2011) 396-403. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10512-011-9374-8
- S. Alyokhina, V. Goloshchapov, A. Kostikov, Yu Matsevity, , Simulation of thermal state of containers with spent nuclear fuel: multistage approach, Int. J. Energy Res. 39 (2015) 1917-1924. https://doi.org/10.1002/er.3387
- S. Alyokhina, A. Kostikov, Equivalent thermal conductivity of the storage basket with spent nuclear fuel of VVER-1000 reactors, Kerntechnik 79 (2014) 484-487. https://doi.org/10.3139/124.110443
- Inv. No. 1526(3), Safety Analysis Report of the Dry Spent Nuclear Fuel Storage Facility on Zaporizhska NPP: Version 3.01.1, 2008, p. 624 [in Russian].