- Volume 49 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Investigation of molten fuel coolant interaction phenomena using real time X-ray imaging of simulated woods metal-water system
- Acharya, Avinash Kumar (Fast Reactor Technology Group, Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, HBNI) ;
- Sharma, Anil Kumar (Fast Reactor Technology Group, Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, HBNI) ;
- Avinash, Ch.S.S.S. (Fast Reactor Technology Group, Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, HBNI) ;
- Das, Sanjay Kumar (Fast Reactor Technology Group, Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, HBNI) ;
- Gnanadhas, Lydia (Fast Reactor Technology Group, Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, HBNI) ;
- Nashine, B.K. (Fast Reactor Technology Group, Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, HBNI) ;
- Selvaraj, P. (Fast Reactor Technology Group, Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, HBNI)
- Received : 2017.02.07
- Accepted : 2017.07.03
- Published : 2017.10.25
In liquid metal fast breeder reactors, postulated failures of the plant protection system may lead to serious unprotected accidental consequences. Unprotected transients are generically categorized as transient overpower accidents and transient under cooling accidents. In both cases, core meltdown may occur and this can lead to a molten fuel coolant interaction (MFCI). The understanding of MFCI phenomena is essential for study of debris coolability and characteristics during post-accident heat removal. Sodium is used as coolant in liquid metal fast breeder reactors. Viewing inside sodium at elevated temperature is impossible because of its opaqueness. In the present study, a methodology to depict MFCI phenomena using a flat panel detector based imaging system (i.e., real time radiography) is brought out using a woods metal-water experimental facility which simulates the
- A.E. Waltar, A.B. Reynolds, Fast Breeder Reactors, Pergamon Press, USA, 1981.
- H.S. Park, R.C. Hanson, B.R. Sehgal, Continuous high speed X-ray radiography to visualize dynamic fragmentation of molten liquid droplet in liquid coolant, in: Proceedings of PSFVIP-4, June 3-5, 2003. Chamonix, France, F4090.
- Eiji Matsuo, Yutaka Abe, Keiko Chitose, Kazuya Koyama, Kazuhiro Itoh, Study on jet breakup behaviour at core disruptive accident for fast breeder reactor, Nucl. Eng. Des. 238 (2008) 1996-2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2007.11.011
- R.C. Hansson, Triggering and energetics of a single drop vapour explosion: the role of entrapped non-condensable gases, Nucl. Eng. Technol. 41 (2009) 1215-1222. Special Issue on the 7th International Topical Meeting on Nuclear Reactor Thermal Hydraulics, Operation, and Safety. https://doi.org/10.5516/NET.2009.41.9.1215
- M. Zabiego, C. Brayer, D. Grishchenko, J.-B. Dajon, P. Fouquart, Y. Bullado, F. Compagnon, P. Correggio, J.-F. Haquet, P. Piluso, The KROTOS KFC and SERENA/KS1 tests: experimental results and MC3D calculations, in: 7th International Conference on Multiphase Flow ICMF 2010, Tampa, FL USA, 30-June 4, 2010.
- A.R. Potter, J.C. Austin, R.M. Ormerod, P.W. Haycock, B.R. Heywood, S.D. George, X-ray images of defect formation in porcelain ceramics during drying, NDT E Int. 36 (2003) 77-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-8695(02)00088-9
- E.P. Loewen, R. Bonazza, M.L. Corradini, R.E. Johannesen, Fuel - coolant interactions: visualisation and mixing measurements, Nucl. Technol. 139 (2002) 127-144. https://doi.org/10.13182/NT02-A3308
- P. Munshi, P. Jayakumar, P. Satyamurthy, T.K. Thiyagarajan, N. Venkatramani, Void-fraction measurements in a steady-state mercury nitrogen flow loop, Exp. Fluids 24 (1998) 424-430. https://doi.org/10.1007/s003480050192
- R. Saksena, P. Satyamurthy, P. Munshi, A comparison of experimental results and FLUENT simulations for void-fraction distribution in a two-phase system, Nucl. Technol. 163 (2008) 426-434. https://doi.org/10.13182/NT08-A4000
- Available from: http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/XrayMassCoef/ElemTab/z11.html.
- Available from: http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/XrayMassCoef/ComTab/water.html.
- F.C. Campbell, Inspection of Metals - Understanding the basics, copyright 2013, ASM International, p.233-261.
- R.C. Gonzalez, R.E. Woods, Digital Image Processing, Prentice Hall, USA, 2002.
- M. Sonka, V. Hlavac, R. Boyle. Image Processing, Analysis, and Machine Vision, second ed., Thomson Learning, USA, 2008.
- E.L. Hall, R.P. Kruger, S.J. Dwyer, D.L. Hall, R.W. Mclaren, G.S. Lodwick, A survey of preprocessing and feature extraction techniques for radiographic images, IEEE Trans. Comput. c-20 (1971) 1032-1044. https://doi.org/10.1109/T-C.1971.223399
- Scilab manuals. http://www.scilab.org/download/5.1.1/manual_scilab-5.1.1_en_US.pdf.
- J. Majumdar, A. Manikonda, G.M. Venkatesh, Adaptive enhancement of underwater images, in: ICSIP 2012, Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, vol. 221, Springer India, 2013, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-81-322-0997-3_50. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-81-322-0997-3_50
- P. Athe, S. Shakya, P. Munshi, A. Luke, D. Mewes, Characterization of multiphase flow in bubble columns using kt-1 signature and fractal dimension, Flow Meas. Instrum. 33 (2013) 122-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.flowmeasinst.2013.05.005
- T. Pant, Effect of noise in estimation of fractal dimension of digital images, Int. J. Signal Process. Image Process. Pattern Recognit. 6 (2013) 101-116.
- Available from: http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/rbf/CVonline/LOCAL_COPIES/MORSE/threshold.pdf.