- Volume 49 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Two- and three-dimensional experiments for oxide pool in in-vessel retention of core melts
- Kim, Su-Hyeon (Department of Nuclear Engineering, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Park, Hae-Kyun (Department of Nuclear Engineering, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Chung, Bum-Jin (Department of Nuclear Engineering, Kyung Hee University)
- Received : 2016.11.10
- Accepted : 2017.05.29
- Published : 2017.10.25
To investigate the heat loads imposed on a reactor vessel through the natural convection of core melts in severe accidents, mass transfer experiments were performed based on the heat transfer/mass transfer analogy, using two- (2-D) and three-dimensional (3-D) facilities of various heights. The modified Rayleigh numbers ranged from
Supported by : National Research Foundation (NRF)
- J.M. Bonnet, J.M. Seiler, Thermal hydraulic phenomena in corium pools: the BALI experiment, in: 7th International Conference on Nuclear Engineering, Tokyo, Japan, 1999.
- J.K. Lee, K.Y. Shu, K.J. Lee, J.I. Yun, Experimental study of natural convection heat transfer in a volumetrically heated semicircular pool, Ann. Nucl. Energy 73 (2014) 432-440. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2014.07.019
- O. Kymalainen, H. Tuomisto, O. Hongisto, T.G. Theofanous, Heat flux distribution from a volumetrically heated pool with high Rayleigh number, Nucl. Eng. Des. 149 (1994) 401-408. https://doi.org/10.1016/0029-5493(94)90305-0
- M. Helle, O. Kymalainen, H. Tuomisto, Experimental Data on Heat Flux Distribution from a Volumetrically Heated Pool with Frozen Boundaries, IVO Power Engineering Ltd, 1998.
- B.R. Sehgal, V.A. Bui, T.N. Dinh, J.A. Green, G. Kolb, SIMECO experiments on invessel melt pool formation and heat transfer with and without a metallic layer, in: Proceedings of In-vessel Core Debris Retention and Coolability Workshop, Garching, Germany, 1998.
- F.J. Asfia, V.K. Dhir, An experimental study of natural convection in a volumetrically heated spherical pool bounded on top with a rigid wall, Nucl. Eng. Des. 163 (1996) 333-348. https://doi.org/10.1016/0029-5493(96)01215-0
- T.G. Theofanous, M. Maguire, S. Angelini, T. Salmassi, The first results from the ACOPO experiment, Nucl. Eng. Des. 169 (1997) 49-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(97)00023-X
- F.P. Incropera, D.P. Dewitt, Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer, fifth ed., John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, 2003, pp. 614-619.
- A. Bejan, Convection Heat Transfer, second ed., John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, 1995, pp. 466-514.
- V.G. Levich, Physicochemical Hydrodynamics, second ed., Prentice-Hall, New Jersey, 1962.
- J.N. Agar, Diffusion and convection at electrodes, Discuss. Faraday Soc. 1 (1947) 27-37.
- J.R. Selman, C.W. Tobias, Mass transfer measurement by the limiting current technique, Adv. Chem. Eng. 10 (1978) 211-318.
- M.M. Zaki, I. Nirdosh, G.H. Sedahmed, Forced convection mass transfer inside large hemispherical cavities under laminar flow conditions, Chem. Eng. Commun. 159 (1997) 161-171. https://doi.org/10.1080/00986449708936599
- B.J. Chung, J.H. Eoh, J.H. Heo, Visualization of natural convection on a horizontal cylinder, Heat Mass Transf. 47 (2011) 1445-1452. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00231-011-0810-z
- S.H. Ko, D.W. Moon, B.J. Chung, Applications of electroplating method for heat transfer studies using analogy concept, Nucl. Eng. Technol. 38 (2006) 251-258.
- B.J. Ko, M.H. Kim, B.J. Chung, An experimental study on the transition criteria of open channel natural convection flows, J. Mech. Sci. Technol. 26 (2012) 1227-1234. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-012-0203-3
- J.Y. Moon, B.J. Chung, Time-dependent Rayleigh-Benard convection: cell formation and Nusselt number, Nucl. Eng. Des. 274 (2014) 146-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2014.04.017
- M.S. Chae, B.J. Chung, Natural convection heat transfer in a uniformly heated horizontal pipe, Heat Mass Transf. 50 (2014) 115-123. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00231-013-1234-8
- H.K. Park, B.J. Chung, Mass transfer experiments for the heat load during invessel retention of core melt, Nucl. Eng. Technol. 48 (2016) 906-914. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.net.2016.02.015
- G.U. Kang, B.J. Chung, Natural convection heat transfer characteristics in vertical cavities with active and inactive top and bottom disks, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 87 (2015) 390-398. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2015.04.022
- S.H. Hong, B.J. Chung, Variations of the optimal fin spacing according to Prandtl number in natural convection, Int. J. Therm. Sci. 101 (2016) 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2015.10.026
- E.J. Fenech, C.W. Tobias, Mass transfer by free convection at horizontal electrodes, Electrochim. Acta 2 (1960) 311-325. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-4686(60)80027-8
- C.K. Lim, B.J. Chung, Influence of a center anode in analogy experiments of long flow ducts, Int. Commun. Heat Mass Transfer 56 (2014) 174-180. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2014.06.010
- T.N. Dinh, R.R. Nourgaliev, B.R. Sehgal, On heat transfer characteristics of real and simulant melt pool experiments, Nucl. Eng. Des. 169 (1997) 151-164. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(96)01283-6
- H.K. Park, B.J. Chung, Optimal tip clearance in the laminar forced convection heat transfer of a finned plate in a square duct, Int. Commun. Heat Mass 63 (2016) 73-81.
- S.K. Kim, B.J. Chung, Heat load imposed on reactor vessels during in-vessel retention of core melts, Nucl. Eng. Des. 308 (2016) 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2016.08.010
- Y. Konishi, Y. Nakamura, Y. Fukunaka, K. Tsukada, K. Hanasaki, Anodic dissolution phenomena accompanying supersaturation of copper sulfate along a vertical plane copper anode, Electrochim. Acta 48 (2003) 2615-2624. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-4686(03)00305-0
- W.G. Steele, H.W. Coleman, Experimental and Uncertainty Analysis for Engineers, second ed., John Wiley & Son, Canada, 1999.