- Volume 33 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Social Capital in Mangrove Management: A Case Study in Lampung Province, Indonesia
- Qurniati, Rommy (Department of Forestry, Faculty of Agriculture, Lampung University) ;
- Hidayat, Wahyu (Department of Forestry, Faculty of Agriculture, Lampung University) ;
- Kaskoyo, Hari (Department of Forestry, Faculty of Agriculture, Lampung University) ;
- Firdasari, Firdasari (Department of Agribusiness, Faculty of Agriculture, Lampung University) ;
- Inoue, Makoto (Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo)
- Received : 2016.05.23
- Accepted : 2016.10.07
- Published : 2017.02.28
The objective of this study is to identify the individual characteristics and the elements of social capital hence a suitable design of social capital reinforcement can be proposed to promote a sustainable community-based mangrove management. The research conducted in three villages that were selected based on mangrove ecological differences in Lampung Province, Indonesia. Qualitative data was collected through field observation and in-depth interviews with key informants. The results showed that the population in the three villages dominated on productive ages, worked as farmers, and less educated (only a half of the population had fulfilled the basic education standard of Indonesia). The study results also indicated that the social capital in the communities showed minimum condition of interpersonal attachment and cooperation. This condition was derived from the attitude of the people who only took personal benefit without concerning to others' welfare. Many programs conducted by government to ensure the conservation of mangroves were project-oriented with minor participation of community. The minor participation might also contributed to the minimum of social capital in the community. To improve social capital, the communities should strengthen mutual trust based on mutual benefit to increase members' participation in mangrove activity.
collective action;cooperation;individual characteristic;networks;trust
- Bizikova L, Nijnik M, Oravská TK. 2011. Sustaining multifunctional forestry through the developing of social capital and promoting participation: a case of multiethnic mountain communities. Small-scale Forestry 11: 301-319.
- Bourdieu P. 1986. The forms of capital. In: Handbook of theory and research for the sociology of education (Richardson JG, ed). Greenwood Publishing Group: 241-258.
- Cahyono B. 2012. The role of social capital in promoting tobacco farmers' welfare in Wonosobo. Proceedings of Conference in Business, Accounting and Management (CBAM) 1:1, UNISSULA. (in Bahasa Indonesia)
- Choi SH, Park ES, Woo JC. 2015. An analysis on the economic effects of inter-Korea forest cooperation project. J For Env Sci 31: 55-62.
- Acedo CC, Gomila A. 2015. Trust matters: a cross-cultural comparison of Northern Ghana and Oaxaca groups. Front Psychol 6: 661.
- Ariftia RI, Qurniati R, Herwanti S. 2014. Total economic value of Mangrove forest in Margasari village sub district of Labuhan Maringgai district of Lampung Timur. J Sylva Lestari 2.3: 19-28. (in Bahasa Indonesia with English abstract)
- Cindoswari AR. 2008. Gender analysis of group of environmental care (PAPELING) in local mangrove rehabilitation in Sidodadi village, South Lampung. MS Thesis. Bogor Agriculture University, Bogor, Indonesia. (in Bahasa Indonesia)
- Coleman JS. 1988. Social capital in the creation of human capital. The American Journal Sociology 94: S95-S120. https://doi.org/10.1086/228943
- Datta D, Chattopadhyay RN, Guha P. 2012. Community based mangrove management: a review on status and sustainability. Journal of Environmental Management 107: 84-95.
- Dudwick N, Kuehnast K, Jones VN, Woolcock M. 2006. Analyzing social capital in context. A guide to using qualitative methods and data. World Bank Publications.
- FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations). 2010. Global forest resources assessment 2010 main report. FAO Forestry Paper 163. FAO, Rome.
- Fukuyama F. 1999. The great disruption: human nature and the reconstitution of social order. Touchstone, New York.
- Giri C, Ochieng E, Tieszen LL, Zhu Z, Singh A, Loveland T, Masek J, Duke N. 2011. Status and distribution of mangrove forests of the world using earth observation satellite data. Global Ecology and Biogeography 20: 154-159. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-8238.2010.00584.x
- Giri C, Zhu Z, Tieszen LL, Singh A, Gillette S, Kelmelis JA. 2008. Mangrove forest distributions and dynamics (1975-2005) of the tsunami-affected region of Asia. Journal of Biogeography 35: 519-528. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2699.2007.01806.x
- Grootaert C, Narayan D, Jones VN, Woolcock M. 2004. Measuring social capital: an integrated questionnaire. World Bank working paper 18. The World Bank, Washington D.C.
- Hasbullah J. 2006. Social capital: towards the Indonesian cultural supremacy. MR-United Press, Jakarta. (in Bahasa Indonesia)
- Ibitoye SJ, Onimisi JA. 2013. Influence of training on farmer’s productivity in poultry production in Kogi state, Nigeria. Int J Poultry Sci 12: 239-244. https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2013.239.244
- ITTO (International Tropical Timber Organization). 2012. Mapping mangroves. Tropical Forest Update 21: 1-24.
- Jones VN, Woolcock M. 2007. Using mixed methods to assess social capital in low income countries: a practical guide. BWPI Working Paper 12. Brooks World Poverty Institute the University of Manchester, United Kingdom.
- Kusmana C. 2013. Distribution and current status of mangrove forests in Indonesia. In: Mangrove ecosystems of Asia: status, challenges and management strategies (Faridah-Hanum I, Latif A, Hakeem KR, Ozturk M, eds). Springer, Netherland.
- Kusmana C. 2015. Integrated sustainable mangrove forest management. Jurnal Pengelolaan Sumberdaya Alam dan Lingkungan 5: 1-6. https://doi.org/10.19081/jpsl.2015.5.1.1
- Lesser EL (ed). 2000. Knowledge and social capital: foundations and applications. Butterworth-Heinemann, Boston.
- Lin N. 2001. Building a network theory of social capital. In: Social capital: theory and research (Lin N, Cook K, Burt RS, eds). Transaction Publisher.
- Marine and Fisheries Agency of Lampung Province. 2010. An overview of the potential of marine, coastal, and small island in Lampung province. Bandar Lampung. (in Bahasa Indonesia)
- Muspida. 2007. Interrelatedness of social capital in the management of community candlenut forest in Maros regency, South Sulawesi. J Hutan dan Masyarakat 2: 290-302. (in Bahasa Indonesia with English abstract)
- Nahapiet J, Ghoshal S. 1998. Social capital, intellectual capital, and the organizational advantage. The Academy of Management Review 23: 242-266. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1998.533225
- Narayan D, Pritchett L. 1999. Cents and sociability: household income and social capital in rural Tanzania. Economic Development and Cultural Change 47: 871-897. https://doi.org/10.1086/452436
- Nath TK, Inoe M, Pretty J. 2010. Formation and function of social capital for forest resource management and the improved livelihoods of indigenous people in Bangladesh. Journal of Rural and Community Development 5: 104-122.
- National Mangrove Working Group. 2013. Program and Strategy. In: National strategy mangrove area preserving Indonesia. (in Bahasa Indonesia)
- Nugraha B, Banuwa IS, Widagdo S. 2015. Ecotourism landscape planning of mangrove forest in sari ringgung beach sidodadi village Padang cermin Pesawaran. J Sylva Lestari 3: 53-66. (in Bahasa Indonesia with English abstract)
- Ostrom E. 2005. Understanding institutional diversity. Princeton University Press, United Kingdom.
- Panda S. 2015. Farmer education and household agricultural income in rural India. Int J Social Economics 42: 514-529. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJSE-12-2013-0278
- Pranadji T. 2006. Strengthening social capital to empower rural communities in dryland agro-ecosystem management. J Agro Economi 24: 178-206. (in Bahasa Indonesia with English abstract)
- Pretty J. 2003. Social Capital and Connectedness: Issues and Implications for Agriculture, Rural Development and Natural Resource Management in ACP Countries. CTA Working Document 8032. The ACP-EU Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation (CTA).
- Putnam R. 1995. Bowling alone: America’s declining social capital. Journal of Democracy 6: 65-78.
- Putra AK, Bakri S, Kurniawan B. 2015. Role of mangrove forest ecosystem in immunity to Malaria: study in sub-district Labuhan Maringgai district East Lampung. Jurnal Sylva Lestari 3: 67-78. (in Bahasa Indonesia with English abstract)
- Serageldin I, Grootaert C. 1999. Defining social capital: an integrating view. In: Social capital: a multifaceted perspective (Dasgupta P, Serageldin I, ed). World Bank Publications.
- Sharma D, Tiwari BK, Chaturvedi SS, Diengdoh E. 2015. Status, utilization and economic valuation of non-timber forest products of arunachal pradesh, India. J For Env Sci 31: 24-37.
- Skirbekk V. 2008. Age and productivity capacity: descriptions, causes and policy options. Ageing Horizons 8: 4-12.
- Statistic of Lampung Province. 2015. Lampung in Figures. Statistics of Lampung Province, Bandar Lampung.
- Trede LD, Whitaker BS. 2000. Educational needs and perceptions of Iowa beginning farmers toward their education. J Agric Educ 41: 39-48.
- UNEP. 2014. The importance of mangroves to people: a call to action. In: United nations environment programme world conservation monitoring centre (Bochove, J, Sullivan E, Nakamura T, eds). Cambridge, 128 pp.
- Uphoff N. 1999. Understanding social capital: learning from the analysis and experience of participation. In: Social capital: a multifaceted perspective (Dasgupta P, Serageldin I, eds). The World Bank, Washington D.C. pp 215-249.
- Zulfianarisyandra. 2009. The strengthening of social capital in community development effort.