- Volume 18 Issue 1
South Korea is becoming an aging society, increasing the population with dementia. This study analyzed the characteristics of the trend of dementia patients by utilizing 12 years' worth of data from five V hospitals within metropolitan cities. The results show that there has been an 11.3 times increase in the total number of new dementia patients in these five hospitals from 410 in 2003 to 5,048 in 2014; and among them, the rate of increase was highest in P hospital with a 30.3 times increase. Conversely, there has been a 6-times increase in D hospital, illustrating a noticeable gap between these hospitals. Overall, these hospitals have shown an enormous increasing ratio. In an analysis according to age, it's been shown that those aged between 75 and 84 showed the highest prevalence, and most patients, approximately 93.5%, were 65 years or older, while 20.2% were 85 years or older, showing a high ratio of elderly among dementia patients. In an analysis by type of dementia, it's been shown that Alzheimer's was the most prevalent with 44.4%, followed by unspecified dementia with 33.3%, and vascular dementia with 20.4%. As evident by the outcome of the study, there's been a drastic increase in the number of dementia patients in the past 12 years; since the prevalence of dementia was shown to be higher with older age, it is expected that the number of dementia patients will rise further in these five hospitals, where there's a high ratio of elderly patients. More elaborate and continuous plans are necessary for the management of dementia patients following the growing number of dementia patients.
- Korea National Statistics Office. "Estimated future population", pp. 2010-2060, 2011.
- C. P. Ferri, M. Prince, C. Brayne, et al. "Global prevalence of dementia": a Delphi consensus study, Lancet, vol. 366, pp. 2112-2117, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)67889-0
- A. F. Jorn, "Is depression a risk factor for dementia or cognitive decline?" A review, Gerontology, vol. 46, pp. 219-227, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1159/000022163 https://doi.org/10.1159/000022163
- R. Katzman, "Education and the prevalence of dementia and Alzheimer's disease among community dwelling elderly persons and their first relatives", Ann Neurol, vol. 33, pp. 494-501, 1993. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/ana.410330513 https://doi.org/10.1002/ana.410330513
- L. Fratiglioni, M. Grut, Y. Forsel,, M. Viitanen, M. Grafstrom, K. Holmen, et al. K. Ericsson, L. Backman, A. Ahlbom, B. Winblad. "Prevalence of Alzhemer's disease and other dementia in an elderly urban population: relationship with age, sex, and education". Neurology, vol. 41, pp. 1886-1892, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.41.12.1886
- C. Jagger, K. Andersen, M. M. Breteler, J. R. Copeland, C. Helmer, M. Baldereschi, et al. "A collaborative study of population-based cohorts, Neurologic Diseases in the Elderly Research Group". Neurology, vol. 54, pp. 516-520, 2000.
- I. O. Kang, S. Y. Lee, S. Y. Kim, C. Y. Park. "Economic cost of dementia patients according to the limitation of the activities of daily living in Korea", Int J Geriatr Psychiatry, vol. 22, pp. 675-681, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/gps.1729 https://doi.org/10.1002/gps.1729
- Y. J. Kim, J. W. Han, Y. S. So, J. Y. Seo, K. Y. Kim, K. W. Kim, "Prevalence and trends of dementia in Korea: a systematic review and eta-analysis", J Korean Med Sci, Jul, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 903-912, 2014. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2014.29.7.903
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. "2012 The prevalence of dementia research", 2012.
- Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs. "Nationwide study on the prevalence of dementia in Korea elders. Seoul": Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs, 2009.
- Y. Kim, S. J. Kim, U. J. Park. "Development Plan of Veterans Affairs Medical Center in consideration the specificity of the Veterans Hospital Patients", Korea Veterans Health Service, Daejeon Veterans Hospital, pp. 3-37, 2003.
- Ministry of patriots & veterances Affairs. Veterans Yearbook, pp. 119-140, 2011.
- Ministry of patriots & veterances Affairs. Veterans Yearbook, pp. 149-153, 2013.
- C. N. Lee, K. W. Park, "Risk factors for dementia", Focused Issue Diabetes and dementia, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 129-132, 2012.
- J. B. Bae, Y. J. Kim, J. W. Han, T. H. Kim, J. H. Park, S. B. Lee, et al. "Incidence of and risk factors for Alzheimer's disease and mild cognitive impairment in Korean elderly", Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord, vol. 39, no. 1-2, pp. 105-115, 2015. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1159/000366555 https://doi.org/10.1159/000366555
- H. Cho, Z. K. Ko, "Current State of Senile Dementia and Improvement of the Long Term Care Insurance for Elderly People", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 12 no. 12 pp. 5816-5825, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.12.5816
- Pfizer Korea Corporate. "Survey general public about aging", 2013.
- SNU Institute of Industry and Academy, "Study on the preparation of dementia management law", 2010.
- S. H. Kim, S. H. Han. "Korean prevalence of dementia", The Journal of Korean Diabetes, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 124-128, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4093/jkd.2012.13.3.124 https://doi.org/10.4093/jkd.2012.13.3.124
- Guri-si, Gyeonggi-do, Korea. "65 years old dementia prevalence survey", 2007.
- H. C. Hendrie, A. Hake, K. Lane, C. Purnell, F. Unverzagt, V. Smith-Gamble, et al. "Statin Use, Incident Dementia and Alzheimer Disease in Elderly African Americans", Ethn Dis, Aug 7, vol, 25, no. 3, pp. 345-354, 2015. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.18865/ed.25.3.345 https://doi.org/10.18865/ed.25.3.345
- S. Y. Yu,, T .J. Lee, S. H. Jang, J. W. Han, T.H. Kim, K. W. Kim. "Cost-effectiveness of nationwide opportunistic screening program for dementia in South Korea", J Alzheimers Dis, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 195-204, 2015. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.3233/JAD-141632 https://doi.org/10.3233/JAD-141632
- J. Y. Kim, J. B. Jeong, M. H. Park, K. W. Park, M. G. Choi, "A study on the types of attitude toward senile dementia", The Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, vol, 1. no. 10, pp. 3700-3706, 2010.
- N. Cherbuin, S. Kim, K. J. Anstey, "Dementia risk estimates associated with measures of depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis", BMJ Open, Dec 21, vol, 12, no. 21, pp. 5-12, 2015. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2015-008853