- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Half-Mode Substrate Integrated Waveguide Amplifier Using Lumped-Element Transition
- Eom, Dong-Sik (Department of Electronics Engineering, Ajou University) ;
- Lee, Hai-Young (Department of Electronics Engineering, Ajou University)
- Received : 2016.07.04
- Accepted : 2016.12.31
- Published : 2017.01.31
This paper proposes a half-mode substrate integrated waveguide (HMSIW) amplifier using lumped-element transition. The input and output impedances of this amplifier are matched by the lumped-element transition structure. This structure provides compact impedance and mode matching circuits between the HMSIW and a stand-alone amplifier. Surface mount technology inductors and capacitors are implemented to realize the lumped-element transition. A prototype of the proposed HMSIW amplifier shows 15 dB gain with 3 dB bandwidth of 4 to 7.05 GHz in a simulation and measurement.
- M. Abdolhamidi and M. Shahsbadi, "X-band substrate integrated waveguide amplifier," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 815-817, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2008.2007711
- Z. Wang, S. Adhikari, D. Dousset, C. W. Park, and K. Wu, "Substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) power amplifier using CBCPW-to-SIW transition for matching network," in Proceedings of IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Montreal, Canada, 2012, pp. 1-3.
- Z. Wang and C. W. Park, "Novel substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) type high power amplifier using microstrip-to-SIW transition," in Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, Seoul, Korea, 2013, pp. 101-103.
- K. Eccleston, "Corrugated substrate integrated waveguide distributed amplifier," in Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, 2012, pp. 379-381.
- W. Hong, B. Liu, Y. Wang, Q. Lai, H. Tang, X. X. Yin, Y. D. Dong, Y. Zhang, and K. Wu, "Half mode substrate integrated waveguide: a new guided wave structure for microwave and millimeter wave application," in Proceedings of Joint 31st International Conference on Infrared Millimeter Waves and 14th International Conference on Terahertz Electronics, Shanghai, China, 2006, pp. 219-219.
- Y. Ding and K. Wu, "Substrate integrated waveguide-tomicrostrip transition in multilayer substrate," in Proceedings of IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Honolulu, HI, 2007, pp. 1555-1558.
- D. S. Eom and H. Y. Lee, "Broadband half mode substrate integrated waveguide attenuator in 7.29-14.90 GHz," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 564-566, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2015.2451392
- Q. Lai, C. Fumeaux, W. Hong, and R. Vahldieck, "Characterization of the propagation properties of the half-mode substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 1996-2004, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2009.2025429
- D. S. Eom and H. Y. Lee, "SIW/HMSIW-to-microstrip transitions using lumped-elements and their quadrature power divider application," in Proceedings of IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, San Francisco, CA, 2016, pp. 1-4.
- D. S. Eom and H. Y. Lee, "Substrate integrated waveguide transitions to planar transmission lines using lumped elements and their applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 64, no. 12, pp. 4352-4361, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2016.2622267
- D. M. Pozar, Microwave Engineering, 3rd ed. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons, 2005, pp. 225-260.
- Optimization Methodology of Multiple Air Hole Effects in Substrate Integrated Waveguide Applications vol.18, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.26866/jees.2018.18.3.160