- Volume 17 Issue 1
In this paper, a planar directional beam-switchable antenna with four orthogonal beam directions is proposed. The proposed antenna is designed with two crossed active elements and two parasitic elements for each direction. The design methodology is described on the basis of the Yagi-Uda method for the active and parasitic elements, respectively. By adjusting the effective electric lengths of the parasitic elements, the roles of a director and a reflector are exchanged with each other. The planar four-way beam-switchable Yagi-Uda antenna is implemented. From the experimental results. The proposed design method is verified for orthogonal radiation beam switching.
Beam-Steering Antennas;ESPAR;Planar Dipoles;Reconfigurable Antennas;Yagi-Uda Antennas
- N. Honma, K. Nishimori, R. Kudo, Y. Takatori, T. Hiraguri, and M. Mizoguchi, "A stochastic approach to design MIMO antenna with parasitic elements based on propagation characteristics," IEICE Transactions on Communications, vol. 98B, no. 10, pp. 2575-2585, 2010.
- S. J. Lee, K. Kim, and S. M. Han, "Planar ESPAR antenna based on Yagi-Uda array design for space diversity applications," in Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, Nanjing, China, 2015, pp. 1-3.
- A. Kalis, C. Papadias, and A. G. Kanatas, "An ESPAR antenna for beamspace-MIMO systems using PSK modulation schemes," in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC2007), Glasgow, UK, 2007, pp. 5348-5353.
- A. Kalis, A. G. Kanatas, and C. B. Paradias, Parasitic Antenna Arrays for Wireless MIMO Systems. New York, NY: Springer, 2014.
- E. Taillefer, A. Hirata, and T. Ohira, "Direction of arrival estimation using radiation power pattern with an ESPAR antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 678-684, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2004.841312
- N. Sakai, H. Uehara, and T. Ohira, "Variable beamforming characterization of a 3-element dipole ESPAR antenna from a complexity-of-directivity viewpoint," in Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC2009), Singapore, 2009, pp. 751-754.
- S. H. Yeung, A. Garcia-Lamperez, T. K. Sarkar, and M. Salazar-Palma, "Thin and compact dual-band four-element broadside patch antenna arrays," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 13, pp. 567-570, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2014.2312914
- W. L. Stutzman and G. A. Thiele, Antenna Theory and Design. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons, 1981.
- C. A. Balanis, Antenna Theory, 2nd ed. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons, 2001.
- R. Mailloux, "Antenna and wave theories of infinite Yagi- Uda arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 499-506, 1965. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.1965.1138470
- R. Schlub and D. V. Thiel, "Switched parasitic antenna on a finite ground plane with conductive sleeve," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 1343-1347, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2004.827504
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)