- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Virgin Coconut Oil Supplementation and Complex Exercise on Body Composition, Oxidative Stress and Blood Pressure in the Middle-Aged Women with Metabolic Syndrome
대사증후군 중년 여성들의 코코넛 오일 섭취와 복합운동이 신체조성, 산화스트레스 및 혈압에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Nam-Ik (Department of Physical Education, Catholic Kwandong University)
- 김남익 (가톨릭관동대학교 체육교육과)
- Received : 2016.11.09
- Accepted : 2017.01.20
- Published : 2017.01.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of virgin coconut oil supplementation and complex exercise on body composition, oxidative stress and blood pressure in the middle-aged women with metabolic syndrome. As a result, weight and body fat in coconut oil+complex exercise and coconut oil group are significantly decreased after the program. BMI and WHR in coconut oil+complex exercise group are significantly decreased after than before the program. MDA in coconut oil+complex exercise and coconut oil group is significantly decreased after the program. SOD in coconut oil+complex exercise and coconut oil group is significantly increased after the program. Systolic blood pressure in coconut oil+complex exercise and coconut oil group is significantly decreased after than before the program. Diastolic blood pressure in coconut oil+complex exercise group is significantly decreased after than before the program.
Metabolic syndrome;Coconut oil;Complex exercise;Body composition;Oxidative stress;Blood pressure
Supported by : 가톨릭관동대학교
- Lee, H. B.(2014). "Impart of physical activity level and types of activities of middle-aged women on risk factors of metabolic syndrome and energy metabolism". The Korean Journal of Growth and development, Vol. 22, No. 4, 371-380.
- Lee, Y. G.(2016). "Investigation of wellness management plan based on the health fitness trend characteristics per generation". Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 2, 459-469.
- Roth, J. L.(2002). "The metabolic syndrome; where are we and where do we go?" Nutrition Review, Vol. 60, No. 11, 335-337. https://doi.org/10.1301/002966402320583398
- Katzmarzyk, P. T., Janssen, I., Malina, R. M., Bergeron, J., Despres, J. P., & Bouchard, C.(2003). "Stability of indicators of the metabolic syndrome from childhood and adolescence to young adulthood: The Quebec family study". Journal Clinical Epidemiology, Vol. 54, No. 2, 3452-3467.
- Ko, Y. H.(2016). "Physical activity, social support and participation of women knowledge about cervical cancer screening, the screening attitude multiplicative influence of cervical cancer screening". Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 7, 439-449.
- Kim, K. H., Park, K. S., & Lee, H. J.(2010). "The effect of aqua and land aerobic exercise on atherosclerosis indices and CRP of women with metabolic syndrome". The Korean Journal of Physical Education, Vol. 49, No. 2, 445-454.
- Babu, A. S., Veluswanny, S. K., Arena, R., Guazzi, M., & Lavie, C. I.(2014). "Virgin coconut oil and potential cardioprotective effects". Postgrad Medicine, Vol. 126, No. 7, 76-83.
- Wang, J., Wang, X., Li, J., Chen, Y., Yang, W., & Zhang, L.(2015). "Effects of dietary coconut oil as a medium-chain fatty acid source on performance, carcass composition and serum lipid in male broilers". Asian Australasian Journal Animal Science, Vol. 28, No. 2, 223-230.
- Rial, S. A., Karelies, A. D., Bergeron, K. E., & Mounier, C.(2016). "Gut microbiota and metabolic health; The potential beneficial effects of a medium chain triglyceride diet in obese individuals". Nutrients, Vol. 8, 281. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu8050281
- Naiane, F. B., Suenia, K. P., Porpino, M. O., Monteiro, R. M., & Braga, V. A.(2015). "Coconut oil supplementation and physical exercise improves baroreflex sensitivity and qxidative stress in hypertensive rats". Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, Vol. 40, No. 4, 393-400. https://doi.org/10.1139/apnm-2014-0351
- Yeap, S. K., Beh, B. K., Ali, N. M., Yusof, H. M., Ho, W. Y., Koh, S. P., Alitheen, N. B., & Long, K.(2015). "Antistress and antioxidant effect of virgin coconut oil in vivo". Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine, Vol. 9, 39-42. https://doi.org/10.3892/etm.2014.2045
- Takeuchi, H., Sekine, S., Kojima, K., & Aoyama, T.(2008). "The application of medium-chain fatty acids; edible oil with a suppressing effect on body fat accumulation". Asia Pacific Journal Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 17, 320-323.
- ACSM(2010). "ACSM's health-related physical fitness assessment manual(3rd ed.)". Baltimore, Maryland: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- NCEP(2001). "Expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults". Journal of American Medicine Association, Vol. 285, 2486-2497. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.285.19.2486
- Shin, H. M., Ji, S. H., Kim, J. P., & Kim, M. R.(2012). "The influence on cardiovascular mortality of the metabolic syndrome in Korean postmenopausal women". Journal of Korean Society Menopause, Vol. 18, 6-14. https://doi.org/10.6118/jksm.2012.18.1.6
- LeRoith, D., Taylor, S. I., & Olefsky, J. M.(2004). "Diabetes Mellitus" - A fundamental and Clinical text, 3rd ed, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Lee, S. H., & Kang, H. S.(2007). "Effect of walking exercise intensity on leucocyte DNA telomere length in middle-aged women". Korean Journal of Sport Science, Vol. 18, No. 4, 34-43. https://doi.org/10.24985/kjss.2007.18.4.34
- Evans, W. J.(2000). "Vitamin E, Vitamin C and exercise". American Journal Clinical Nutrition Augmentation, Vol. 72, No. 2, 647S-652S. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/72.2.647S
- Yeap, S. K., Beh, B. K., Ali, N. M., Yusof, H. M., HO, W. Y., Koh, S. P., Alitheen, N. B., & Long, K. (2014). "Antistress and antioxidant effects of virgin coconut oil in vivo". Experiment Therapeutic Medicine, Vol. 8, 24-34.
- Kim, N. I.(2015). "Health and Exercise Prescription". Book Publishing of a Medical Book; Seoul.
- Lee, D. O.(2015). "Coconut oil, U.S. No. 1 Nubita, is popular in Korea". Money Today, 2015. 6. 2.
- Bruce, R. A., Kusumi, F., & Hosmer, D.(1973). "Maximal oxygen intake and monograpic assessment of functional aerobic impairment in cardiovascular disease". American Heart Journal, Vol. 85, 546-562. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-8703(73)90502-4
- Whitney, E. N., & Rolfes, S. R.(2002). "Understanding nutrition, 9th ed"., Wadsworth/Thomson Learning. CA, USA.
- Youn, K. Y., & Kim, Y. J.(2016). "The effect of circuit weight training on body composition and physical fitness of middle-aged women for 12 week". Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 6, 363-373.
- Youn, E. S., Lee, J. Y., Kang, H. S., An, E. S., Woo, S. K., & Kim, D. J.(2008). "Optimal exercise volume for prevention, treatment of obesity and metabolic syndrome in central obese mid-life women - Focused on pre-post menopausal women". The Korean Journal of Physical Education, Vol. 47, No. 6, 669-681.
- The Ministry of Health and Welfare(2008). "2007 Survey on Public Health Nutrition", Seoul.
Kelley, G. A., & Kelley, K. S.(2006). "Effects of aerobic exercise on C-reactive protein, body composition, and
$VO_2max$in adults? a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials". Metabolism Clinical & Experimental, Vol. 55, 1500-1507. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2006.06.021
- Jurca, R., Lamonte, M. J., Barlow, E. E., Kampert, J. B., Church, T. S., & Blair, S. N.(2005). "Association of muscular strength with incidence of metabolic syndrome in men". Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, Vol. 37, No. 11, 1849-4855. https://doi.org/10.1249/01.mss.0000175865.17614.74
- Han, S. C., Cheun, J. P., & Lee, S. H.(2007). "The effect on a exercise type on the metabolic syndrome components". The Koran Journal of Growth and Development, Vol. 15, No. 2, 75-85.
- Rice, B., Janssen, I., Hudson, R., & Ross, R.(1999). "Effects of aerobic or resistance exercise and/or diet on glucose tolerance and plasma insulin levels in obese men". Diabetes Care, Vol. 22, 684-691. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.22.5.684
- Lee, S. M., Kim, S. B., & Youn, J. H.(2013). "Effects of combined exercise program on blood inflammatory markers, vascular endothelial growth factor and arterial stiffness in obese middle aged women". The Koran Journal of Growth and Development, Vol. 21, No. 2, 91-99.
- Jang, J. H., & Huh, S.(2008). "Comparison of obesity indices, plasma growth hormone and insulin-link growth factors-1 according to exercise type in obese high school girls". The Korean Physical Education, Vol. 47, No. 2, 371-381.
- Kurz, D. J., Decary, S., Hong, Y., Trivier, E., Akhmedov, A., & Erusalimsky, J. D.(2004). "Chronic oxidative stress compromises telomere integrity and accelerates the onset of senescence in human endothelial cells". Journal of Cell Science, Vol. 117(Pt 11), 2417-2426. https://doi.org/10.1242/jcs.01097
- Woods, J. A., & Davis, J. M.(1994). "Exercise, monocyte/macrophage function and cancer". Medicine Science Sports Exercise, Vol. 26, 147-157. https://doi.org/10.1249/00005768-199402000-00004
- Jenkins, R. R.(1988). "Free radical chemistry : Relationship to exercise". Sports Medicine, Vol. 5, 156-170. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-198805030-00003
- Ji, L. L.(1996). "Exercise, oxidative stress, and antioxidants". American Journal of Sports Medicine, Vol. 24, No. 6, 20-24. https://doi.org/10.1177/036354659602406S05
- Cho, S. W., Back, Y. M., Kang, J. Y., Park, W. Y., & Choi, T. I.(2009). "The relationship between plasma antioxidant levels and metabolic syndrome risk factors in male workers". Koran Journal Food & Nutrition, Vol. 22, No. 3, 357-366.
- Tappel, A. L.(1993). "Lipid peroxidation demage to cell components". Federal Grants & Contracts, Vol. 32, No. 8, 1870-1973.
- Hong, Y., Pedersen, N. L., Brismar, K., & de Faire, U.(1997). "Genetic and environmental architecture of the features of the insulin resistance syndrome". American Journal Human Biology, Vol. 60, 143-152
- Festa, A., D'Agostino, R. Jr., Howard, G., Mykkanen, L., Tracy, R. P., & Haffner, S. M.(2000). "Chronic subclinical inflammation as part of the insulin resistance syndrome: the Insulin Resistance Atherosclerosis Study(IRAS)". Circulation. Vol. 102, No. 1, 42-47. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.102.1.42
- Lutsey, P. L., Steffen, L. M., & Stevens, J.(2008). "Dietary intake and the development of the metabolic syndrome: the atherosclerosis risk in communities study". Circulation, Vol. 117, 754-761 https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.107.716159
- Murry, A. J., Knight, N. S., Little, S. E., Cochlin, L. E., Clements, M., & Clake, K.(2011). "Dietary long-chain, but not medium-chain, triglycerides impair exercise performance and uncouple cardiac mitochondria in rats". Nutrition & Metabolism, Vol. 8, 55. https://doi.org/10.1186/1743-7075-8-55
- Mottillo, S., Filion, K. B., Genest, J., Joseph, L., Pilote, L., & Poirier, P.(2010). "The metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular risk a systematic review and meta-analysis". Journal of American College Cardiological, Vol. 56, 1113-1132. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2010.05.034
- Bowman, B. A., & Russell, R. M.(2001). "Present knowledge in nutrition. 8th ed"., ILSI, Washington DC, USA.
- Shin, S. J.(2016). "The effect of apraxia on activity of daily living in stroke patients". Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 6, 527-537.
- Nestel, P. J.(2000). "Fish oil and cardiovascular disease: lipid and arterial function". American Journal Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 71, No. 1, 228-231. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/71.1.228S
- Yoon, W. Y.(2016). "Cardiovascular disease according to job type ans life style". Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 2, 501-512.
- Park, Y. W., Zhu, S., Palaniappan, L., Heshka, S., Carnethon, M. R., & Heymsfield, S. B.(2003). "The metabolic syndrome: prevalence and associated risk factor findings in the US population from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey", 1988-1994. Archives International Medicine, Vol. 163, 427-36. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.163.4.427
- Baron, A. D. G. P., Wallac, B. P., & Edelman, S., V.(1998). "Rats and tissue sites of non-insulin and insulin-mediated glucose uptake in humans". American Journal of Physiology, Vol. 255, E769-E774.