- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Influence of Subjective Health Status on Daily Life Satisfaction of the People with Disabilities - Focusing on the Mediating Effects of Acceptance of Disability and Depression -
장애인의 주관적 건강수준이 일상생활만족도에 미치는 영향 -장애수용과 우울의 매개효과-
- Kim, Dong-Joo (Dept. of Rehabilitation Studies, Woosuk University)
- 김동주 (우석대학교 재활학과)
- Received : 2016.11.14
- Accepted : 2017.01.20
- Published : 2017.01.28
This study analyzes the impact the subjective health status of people with disabilities has on the daily life satisfaction and the mediating effect of their psychological mechanisms such as depression and acceptance of disability. The purpose of this study is to serve as the basis for the establishment of practical intervention strategies and policy measures by identifying the relationship between the subjective health status and the life satisfaction. This study analyzes the raw data of the fourth Panel Survey of Employment for the Disabled surveyed by Employment Development Institute of Korea Employment Promotion Agency for the Disabled. In summary, the results are as follows. First, as a result of analyzing the relationships between subjective health status, disability acceptance, depression, and daily life satisfaction, the daily life satisfaction had a positive correlation with the subjective health status and the acceptance of disability while having a negative correlation with depression. Second, regarding the impact the subjective health status has on the daily life satisfaction and the mediating effect of the acceptance of disability and depression, the subjective health status had a statistically significant impact on the daily life satisfaction; there was a partial mediating effect of the acceptance of disability and depression in the relationship. The practical and political proposals on the basis of these results wereas presented.
Subjective health status;Disabilities;Acceptance of disability;Depression;Daily life satisfaction
- Jong-Hyun Park, "People with Disabilities and Right of Health, Rehabilitation : 60 years of struggle for Rights and Inclusion and Incheon Strategy." 43rd RI Korea Congress source book, pp.238-240. 2014.
- US Department of Health and Human Services, Health people 2010: understanding and improving health. Washington. DC: "US Department of Health and Human Services; 2000". 2009.
- Campbell, M. L., Sheets, D, Strong, P. S., "Secondary health conditions among middle-aged individuals with chronic physical disabilities: Implications for unmet needs for services." Assistive Technology, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp.105-122. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1080/10400435.1999.10131995
- Wade, T. J, Previalin, D. J.,Vingilis, E, "Revisiting student self-rated physical health?. Journal of Adolescent," Vol. 23, No. 6, pp.785-791. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1006/jado.2000.0359
- Jin-Hyang Lee, "Mediating effects of subjective health rates on the relationship between stress and life satisfaction of the persons with mental illness." Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp.23-32. 2015.
- Eun-Ryoung Paik, Seung-Hyun Roh, "The Longitudinal Study on the Factors of Life Satisfaction Among Disabled Elderly." Journal of Rehabilitation Research, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp.81-108. 2012.
- Oh-Gyun Kwon, "A Survey on the Living Status and Welfare Needs of Disabled Elders' in the Incheon City. Korean Academy of Clinical Social Work," Vol. 5, No. 1, pp.5-24. 2008.
- Hus, H, "Does disability affect the possibility of successful aging? Physical function trajectories, depressive symptoms, and life satisfaction among the elderly". The Gerontologist, Vol. 48, No. 5, pp.115. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/48.1.115
- Doug-Woong Han, "Relationship between emotional and physical illness from the perspective of Korean traditional cine." Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp.1-22. 2001.
- Su-Jin Kim, Se-Young Kim, "A Study on the Relationship of Marital Intimacy, Depression, and Menopausal Symptom in Middle-aged Women. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing," Vol. 19, No. 3, pp.176-187. 2013. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2013.19.3.176
- Kathol, R. G, Mutgi, A., Wiliams, J, Clamon, G, Noyes, R." Diagnosis of major depression in cancer patients according to four sets of criteria." American Journal of Psychology, Vol. 147, pp.1021-1024. 1990. https://doi.org/10.1176/ajp.147.8.1021
- Doug-Woong Han, Joon-Ho Park, Kyo-Heon Kim, "Effects of self-disclosure and rumination about stressful life event and emotional experiences on physical health." Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp.99-103. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1177/1359105304036104
- Yoo-Soon Bang, Myung Heo, Hee-Young Kim, "A Study of the Relationship between Post-Stroke Depression, Acceptance of Disability, and Social Support. Journal of Korean Society of Occupational Therapy," Vol. 17, No. 2, pp.29-40. 2009.
- Korea Employment Agency for the Disabled, Panel Survey of Employment for the Disabled." Seoul: Korea Employment Agency for the Disabled, Vol. 5.3. 2013.
- Farner M. M, Ferraro, K. F., "Distress and perceived health : Mechanism of health decline. Journal of Health and Social behavior," Vol. 38, No. 3, pp.298-311. 1997. https://doi.org/10.2307/2955372
- Horowitz, A, "Sons and Daughters as Caregivers to Older Parents: Differences in Role Performance and Consequences." The Gerontologist, Vol. 25, No. 6, pp.612-617. 1985. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/25.6.612
- Kaiser, Susan B, "Acceptance of physical disability and attitudes toward personal appearance. Rehabilitation Psychology,1" Vol. 32, No. 1, pp.51. 1987.
- Young-Seung Baik, Dong-Gun Park, "KEPAD self acceptance test for the disabled. Seoul: Korea Employment Agency for the Disabled," 2001.
- Yong-Joo Kang, Ja-Kyung Park, In-Soun Gu, "Validation of the Self Concept and Self Acceptance Test for the People with Disabilities." Seongnam: Korea Employment Agency for the Disabled, 2008.
- Baron, R. M., Kenny. D. A, "The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology," Vol. 51, pp.1173-1182. 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1683
- Jin-Hee Kim, "The Relationship among Socioeconomics Status, Health Behavior, and Self-Rated Health Status in Employees: Gender Difference." Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp.57-67. 2011.
- Hudson, L, Neighbors, H. W., Geronimus, A. T, Jackson, J, S., "The relationship between socioeconomic position and depression among a US nationally representative sample of African Americans. Social Psychiatry Psychiatric Epidemiology," Vol. 47, No. 3, pp.373-381. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00127-011-0348-x