- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy(ACT) on Premenstrual Symptoms, Attitudes about Menstruation, and Perceived Stress of Women with Premenstrual Syndrome
수용전념치료가 월경전증후군을 가진 여성의 월경 전 증상, 월경에 대한 태도 및 지각된 스트레스에 미치는 효과
- Jung, Min-Jung (Dept. of psychology, Chonbuk National University) ;
- La, Mi-Ok (Jeonju HanByul Obstetrics & Gynecology) ;
- Son, ChongNak (Dept. of psychology, Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2015.12.15
- Accepted : 2017.01.20
- Published : 2017.01.28
This study looked into the effects of acceptance and commitment therapy(ACT) program on the premenstrual symptoms, attitudes toward menstruation and perceived stress, in females in their 20's suffering from premenstrual syndrome(PMS). Among the 263 students from 3~4 year universities, 21 were selected as participants. 7 were assigned to the acceptance and commitment therapy(ACT) group, 7 were assigned to the cognitive behavior therapy(CBT) group, and 7 were assigned to the control group. As a result, emotional factor from the premenstrual symptoms has significantly decreased more in the acceptance and commitment therapy(ACT) group, and the cognitive behavior therapy(CBT) group in comparison to the control group. In regards to attitudes toward menstruation, there were no statistical significance in the acceptance and commitment therapy(ACT) group, however there were positive changes, and the cognitive behavior therapy(CBT) group displayed significant change in the follow-up study. In perceived stress, acceptance and commitment therapy(ACT) group displayed more significant decrease than the control group and the cognitive behavior therapy(CBT) group, and that level remained unchanged until the follow-up study.
- J. D. Kim, "Premenstrual syndrome", Korean Medical Association, Vol. 35, pp. 659-666, 1992.
- J. Y. Shim, Y. G. Min, "Relation between menstruation attitude and premenstrual symptom of dldemntary school girls. Master's dissertation", Chungnam National University, 2004.
- T. H. Kim, H. S. Park, H. H. Lee, S. H. Chung, "Premenstrual syndrome and dysmenorrhea in the career women at bucheon city", Vol. 54, pp. 523-528, 2011 https://doi.org/10.5468/KJOG.2011.54.9.523
- B. S. Jeong, C. Lee, J. H. Lee, M. K. Seo, O. H. Han, C. Y. Kim, "Prevalence of premenstrual syndrome and premenstrual dysphoric disorder among korean college women", Vol. 40, pp. 552-558, 2001.
- M. J. Kim, Y. S. Nam, K. S. Oh, C. M. Lee, "Some important factors associated with premenstrual syndrome Influence of excercise, menarche, and age on PMS", Vol. 11, pp. 13-26, 2003.
- H. Y. Ahn, H. J. Hyun, H. W. Kim, "Premenstrual discomforts and coping in university students", Vol. 16, pp. 289-299, 2005.
- J. H. Jeon,"Astructural model for premenstrual syndrome of female students", Pusan National University, 2013.
- S. W. Moon, J. S. Seo, E. J. Ryu, B. O. Nam "Premenstrual Syndromes: Nosology, etiology and treatment", Vol. 14, pp. 53-63, 2004.
- J. E. Kim, "A model of the theoretical structure of factors influencing college womens attitudes toward menstruation", Vol. 23, pp. 224-244, 1993.
- H. S. Jang, "Women psychology", Seoul: Bagyeongsa.
- D. O. Yang, G. H. Youn, "The relationship between increased years after menarche and attitudes toward menstruation", Chonnam National University, 2002
- J. S. Kim, H. T. Won, "Clinical Psychology: The relations among premenstrual attitude, neuroticism, and stress", pp. 135-152, 1998.
- H. J. Choi. "The ralation of premenstrual symptom, hypochondriasis and menstrual attitude", Catholic University, 2006.
- N. F. Woods, E. S. Mitchell. "Social pathways to premenstrual symptoms", Vol. 18, pp. 225-237, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770180306
- M. A. Brown, L. L. Lewis, "Cycle-phase changes in perceived stress in women with varying levels of premenstual symptomatology", Vol. 16, pp. 423-429, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770160606
- Y. M. Lew, S. H. Joe, "Premenstrual symptom patterns and coping style in women with premenstrual change", Vol. 39, pp. 1061-1071, 2000.
- K. Y. So, S. H. Joe, J. W. Kim, H. S. Lee, S. D. Ko, "Vulnerability to minor stressful events in young women with premenstrual syndrome", Vol. 41, pp. 1110-1119, 2002
- T. H. Kim, "Mechanism and the latest treatments of Premenstrual Symptoms", http://www.kmedinfo.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=15582(March 21, 2014)
- F. Blake, P. Salkovskis, D. Gath, A. Day, A. Garrod, "Cognitive therapy for premenstrual syndrome: A controlled trial", Vol. 45, No. 4, pp. 307-318, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3999(98)00042-7
- A. P. Christensen, T. P. S. Oei, "The efficacy of cognitive behaviour therapy in treating premenstrual dysphoric changes", Vol. 33, pp. 57-63, 1994.
- R. J. Kirkby, "Changes in premenstrual symptoms and irrational thinking following cognitive-behaviral coping skills training", Vol. 62, pp. 1026-1032, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.62.5.1026
- M. K. B. Lustyk, W. G. Gerrish, S. Shaver, S. L. Keys, "Cognitive-behavioral therapy for premenstrual syndrome and premenstrual dysphoric disorder: A systematic review", pp. 85-96, 2009.
- H. J. Kang, N. S. chong, "The effects of cognitive-behavioral therapy and relaxation training on reduction of premenstrual syndrome", Vol. 3, pp. 141-155, 1998.
- S. G. KO, J. K. Kwon, (2004) "The effects of cognitive-behavioral group therapy for premenstrual syndrome" Vol. 4, pp. 1-11, 2004.
- H. M. Moon, "Third Wave of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy", Vol. 17, pp. 15-33, 2005.
- S. C. Hayes, S. Smith, "Get Out of Your Mind & into Your Life for Teens : A Guide to Living an Extraordinary Life", New Harbinger Pubns Inc, 2005.
- H. M. Moon, "Development and validation of the program for facilitation of psychological acceptance based on acceptance & commitment therapy model", Catholic University, 2006.
- M. R. Yoo, C. N. Son, "Effects of acceptance and commitment therapy on menstrual discomforts, menstrual attitudes, and Quality of life in college women", Vol. 16, pp. 449-467, 2011. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2011.16.3.002
- G. H. Kim, "A convergence study about meta-analysis on the effects of ACT intervention program", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 145-153, 2016.
- J. S. Beck, "Cognitive behavior therapy, Second edition: basics and beyond", New York: The Guilford Press, 2011.
- J. V. Ciarrochi, A. Bailey, (2008). "A CBT Practitioner's Guide to ACT How to Bridge the Gap Between Cognitive Behavorial Therapy & Acceptance & Commitment Therapy", New Harbinger Publication, 2008.
- M. H. Lee, J. W. Kim, J. H. Lee, "The standardization of the shortened premenstrual assessment form and applicability on the internet", Vol. 41, pp. 159-167, 2002.
- J. O. Park, Y. S. Seo, "Validation of the perceived stress scale on samples of korean university students", Korean Journal of Psychology: General 29:611-629, 2010.
- F. Wills, "Skills in Cognitive Behaviour Counselling & Psychotherapy", Sage Pubns, 2008.
- D. A. Hope, R. G. Heimberg, H. R. Juster, C-H. Turk, "Managing Social Anxiety", Oxford Univ Pr, 2000.
- J. B. Luoma, S. C. Hayes, R. D. Walser, "Learning ACT: An Acceptance & Commitment Therapy Skills-Training Manual for Therapists", New Harbinger Publications, 2007.
- J. Y. Lee, C. N. Son, "The effects of acceptance and commitment therapy on life stress, state anxiety, and dermatological quality of life in adult atopic dermatitis patients" Vol. 14, pp. 465-480, 2008.
- D. S. Yu, C. N. Son, "The effects of acceptance and commitment therapy on diabetes stress, self-care, Quality of life, and Acceptance-action of adolescents with type 1 diabetes", Vol. 19, pp. 637-658, 2014. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2014.19.3.001