- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Development of Self- Esteem Improvement Program for Elementary School students by Self-Acceptance
자기수용을 통한 초등학생의 자아존중감 증진 프로그램 개발
- Lee, Sang-Hyeon (Dept. of Education Won Kwang University) ;
- An, Kwan-Su (Dept. of Education Won Kwang University)
- Received : 2016.10.31
- Accepted : 2017.01.20
- Published : 2017.01.28
The objective of this study is to develop self-esteem program for elementary school students by accepting themselves. Elementary school students' self-esteem is closely related with accepting themselves as they are. For this reason, the contents of this study were consisted of stability, self-understanding, self-acceptance, self-respect, personal relationships. Three experts accomplished program structure and contents design performed by two tests on validity. The need-survey for this was based on the participants who were 93 elementary school students and 32 elementary school teachers. Also, this program was designed in 3 steps of observation, conversion and relation-orientation. The contents of these steps are related with this program's propriety. This program has a little weakness in behavioristic sides because it concentrated on cognitive and affective aspect for the self-esteem development of elementary school students.
- E P. Cho, "A study on Methods of Self-Esteem Promdotion for Moral Development of Elementary Students", Seoul National Universit, 2012.
- Ellis, A., Harper, R. A. "A guide to rational living (3rd Ed.)" pp.1-283, North Hollywood, CA: Wilshire. 1998.
- Berger, E. M. "Relationships among acceptance of self, acceptance of others, and MMPI score", Journal of Counseling Psychology, Vol. 2, pp.279-283, 1955. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0040612
- M Y. Park, "(The) factors that are consisted of self-esteem : the relations among the importance of specific domains, self-acceptance, and global self-esteem", Pusan National University, 1999.
- S H. We, "effect of self-esteem and attribution of social comparison on adaptation to school life and emotional state", Hanyang University, 2011.
- Mussen, P. H., Conger, J. H., & Kagan, J, "Child Development and Personality(2nd ed.)", pp.1-625, New York: Harper. 1963.
- Rosenberg, M., "Concerning the self",pp.1-319, New York: Basic Books. 1979.
- Rogers, C. & Dymond. (1954). "Psychology and Personality Change", pp.1-447,Chicago: University of Chicago press. 1954.
- S H, Kim, "The Relationship between Self-Acceptance and Subjective-wellbeing of Elementary School Students", Chungbuk National University, 2009.
- M A. Kim, "The Effect of Reality-therapy Group Counseling on Self-Acceptance and Self-Esteem of Elementary School Children", Jeju University, 2012.
- Chamberlain, J. M., & Haaga, D. A. F. "Unconditional self-acceptance and psychological health", Journal of Rational-Emotive & Cognitive-Behavior Therapy, Vol.19, pp.163-176, 2001a. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1011189416600
- Bogart, L. M., Benotsch, F. G., & Pavlovic, J. D., "Feeling superior but not threatened: The relation of narcissism to social comparison", Basic and Applied Social Psychology, Vol. 26, pp.35-44, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15324834basp2601_4
- Festinger, L.," A theory of social comparison processes", Human Relations, Vol.7, pp.117-140, 1954. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872675400700202
- Buunk; B. P., Collins, R. L., Taylor, S. E., VanYperen, N. W., & Dakof, G. A., The affective consequences of social comparison: Either direction has its ups and downs. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 59, pp.1238-1249.1990. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1998
- J H, Kim, "The Effects of Middle School Student's Social Comparison Orientation on Anxiety: Self-Esteem as a Mediator", Hanyang Universit, 2014.
- Blanton, H., Buunk, B., Gibbons, F. X., & Kuyper, H., When better-than-others compare upward: Choice of comparison and comparative-evaluation as independent predictors of academic performance. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 76, No.3, pp.420-430, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.520
- Dijkstra, P., Kuyper, H., Van der Werf, G., Buunk, A. P., & Van der Zee, Y. (2008). Social Comparison in the classroom: A review. Review of Educational Research, Vol.78,No.4, pp.828-879. 2008. https://doi.org/10.3102/0034654308321210
- Diane, R. N., & Ruble, D. N.," The acquisition of self-knowledge: A self-socialization perspective", In Eisenberd N.(Eds).1986.
- Higgins, Tory E.," Self-discrepancy : a Theory relating self and affect", Psychological Review, Vol. 94, No. 3, pp.319-340, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.94.3.319
- Taylor, S. E., & Wayment, H. A., & Carillo, M.,."Social comparison. Self-regulations, and motivation", In R. M. Sorrentino & E. T. Higgins (Eds.), 99.1-646, Motivation & Cognition, The Guilford Press. 1993.
- Reasoner, R. W., "Building self-esteem", California: CPP.
- J A, Kim, "(The) effects of REBT group counseling program on self-acceptance, problem solving and motivation for learning of elementary school students", Konkuk University, 2002.
- Wild, L. G.; Flisher, A. J.; Lombard, C.(2004) Suicidal ideation and attempts in adolescents: associations with depression and six domains of self-esteem. J ournal of adolescence, Vol. 27, No. 6, pp.611-624. 1982.