- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
SoMA: A System of Making Avatars based on a Commercial Game Engine
SoMA: 상용 게임엔진 기반의 아바타 생성 시스템
- Kim, Byung-Cheol (Dept. of Computer and Game Sciences, Joongbu University) ;
- Roh, Chang Hyun (Dept. of Computer and Game Sciences, Joongbu University)
- Received : 2016.10.25
- Accepted : 2017.01.20
- Published : 2017.01.28
We propose the SoMA(System of Making Avatars) based on a commercial 3D game engine. It first decomposes a given character into assemblable pieces, then gives the user them as prefab components so that he or she can reassemble and/or customize them to be plenty of characters. To accomplish this, it implements the character assembly structure as an hierarchy, the upper levels of which are categorized for gross assembly, and the lower levels of which are parameterized for detailed customization. It also defines a hierarchical naming convention for ease of access to the structure. Finally, it provides body, clothes, and attachment systems to make relevant characters.
Avatar;Character Customization;Game Engine;3D Computer Game;Assembly System
- S. T. Da Silva, "Character creation and customization for Massively Multiplayer Online Games," Int'l J. of Asia Digital Art & Design, 2013.
- M. Boberg, P. Piippo, E. Ollila, "Designing avatars," Proceedings of 3rd Int'l Conf. on Digital Interactive Media in Entertainment and Arts, pp. 232-239, 2008.
- H. Prendinger et al., "MPML: A markup language for controlling the behavior of life-like characters," Journal of Visual Languages and Computing, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 183-203, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvlc.2004.01.001
- S. Ullrich et al., "MPML3D: Agent Authoring Language for Virtual Worlds," Proceedings of the 2008 Int'l Conf. on Advances in Computer Entertainment Technology, pp. 134-137, 2008.
- K. Apostolakis and P. Daras, "RAAT - The Reverie Avatar Authoring Tool," Proceedings of 18th Int'l Conf. on Digital Signal Processing, July 2013.
- B.-C. Kim and C. H. Roh, "Design of an Avatar Assembly System based on a Commercial Game Engine," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 12, 2016.
- N. Burtnyk and M. Wein, "Interactive skeleton techniques for enhancing motion dynamics in key frame animation," Communications of the ACM, Vol. 19, No. 10, pp. 564-569, 1976. https://doi.org/10.1145/360349.360357
- D. Forsey, "A Surface Model for Skeleton-Based Character Animation," Proceedings of 2nd Eurographics Workshop on Animation and Simulation, pp. 55-73, 1991.
- J. P., Lewis et al., "Pose Space Deformations: A Unified Approach to Shape Interpolation and Skeleton-Driven Deformation," Proceedings of ACM SIGGRAPH 2000, pp. 165-172, 2000.
- K. Singh and E. Kokkevis. "Skinning Characters using Surface Oriented Free-Form Deformations," Graphics Interface, pp. 35-42, 2000.
- J. M. P. van Waveren, "Fast Skinning," Id Software Inc., March 21, 2005.
- M.-J. Lee, "A Study on Game Production Education through Recent Trend Analysis of 3D Game Engine," Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 15-20, 2013.
- N.-J. Kim et al., "3D Character Production for Dialog Syntax-based Educational Contents Authoring System," Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 1, No. 1, 2010년, pp. 69-75, 2010.
- S.-Y. Min et al., "SW Quality of Convergence Product: Characteristics, Improvement Strategies and Alternatives," Journal of Convergence Society for SMB, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 19-28, 2011.
- S. Lee, "Evaluation and Analysis of Software Globalization Capability in Korea," Journal of Convergence Society for SMB, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 9-17, 2011.