- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Factors Influencing Self-Confidence in the Teacher's Role on Adolescent Suicide
청소년 자살에 대한 교사의 역할수행 자신감에 영향을 미치는 요인
- Oh, Kyong-ok (College of Nursing, Chungnam National University) ;
- Gang, Moon-hee (College of Nursing, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Myong-sook (Dept. of Nursing, Howan University)
- Received : 2016.11.22
- Accepted : 2017.01.20
- Published : 2017.01.28
The aim of study was to identify factors influencing the self-confidence in the teacher's role on adolescent suicide. The cross-sectional descriptive study design was used. Participants were 318 teachers from elementary, middle, and high school in D city. Data were collected using questionnaires which included general characteristics, attitude toward adolescent suicide, knowledge about guideline for adolescent suicide prevention, and self-confidence in the teacher's role on adolescent suicide. Collected data was analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, Pearson correlation coefficient, and multiple regression with SPSS 21.0 program. The results of the regression analysis revealed that experience of suicide education, attitude, and knowledge about adolescent suicide were the significant factors affecting the self-confidence in teacher's role for adolescent suicide. The predictor variables explained 22.5% of variance regarding self-confidence in teacher's role for adolescent suicide. Findings indicate the factors should be used in developing effective intervention for enhancement of self-confidence in teacher's role on adolescent suicide.
Supported by : 충남대학교
- M. K. Nock, J. G. Green, I. Hwang, K. A. McLaughlin, N. A. Sampson, A. M. Zaslavsky, R. C. Kessler, "Prevalence, Correlates, and Treatment of Lifetime Suicidal Behavior among Adolescents: Results from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication Adolescent Supplement", JAMA Psychiatry, Vol.70, pp.300-310, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1001/2013.jamapsychiatry.55
- Korea National Statistical Office. 2013 Annual Report on the Cause of Death Statistics. Daejeon: Korea National Statistical Office; 2014.
- N. A. Ryu, S. H. Yoo, K. M. Yun, "A Survey of Teachers Perception about Adolescent Suicide" Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 16, No. 11, pp. 145-163, 2009.
- J. Y. Lee et al. "Perception regarding Student's Suicidal Behavior and Attitudes toward Suicide among School Counselors", Journal Korean Society Biologic Therapeutic Psychiatry, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 45-53, 2014
- A. S. Kimberly, A. P. Sara, D. D. Denise, S. Karen, "Attitudes and Beliefs of Adolescents and Parents regarding Adolescent Suicide", Pediatrics, Vol. 125, pp. 221-227, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2008-2248
- C. Katz, S. L. Bolton, L. Y. Katz, C. Isaak, T. Tilston-Jones, J. Sareen, Swampy Cree Suicide Prevention Team, "A Systematic Review of School-based Suicide Prevention Programs", Depress Anxiety, Vol. 30, No. 10, pp. 1030-1045, 2013. doi: 10.1002/da.22114. https://doi.org/10.1002/da.22114
- E. Nadeem, S. H. Kataoka, V. Y. Chang, P. Vona, M. Wong, B. D. Stein, "The Role of Teachers in School-Based Suicide Prevention: A Qualitative Study of School Staff Perspectives", School Mental Health, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 209-221, 2011. doi: 10.1007/s12310-011-9056-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12310-011-9056-7
- B. Papp, A. Lang, "Teachers' Knowledge about Suicide and Its Connection to Burn-out and Avoidant Coping", Psychiatr Hungarian, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 229-238, 2013.
- Y. S. Choi, "The Role and Current Status of ADHD Information-Sharing Websites for School Teachers", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp.145-154, 2014.
- Chungcheongnamdo Office of Education, Guide book of adolescent suicide prevention, Ministry of Education, 2010, http://schoolhealth.kr/shnhome/bbs/bbs01005s.php
- D. W. Seo, et al. Survey of the Life Respect and Attitude toward Suicide in Koreans, Korea Suicide Prevention Center, http://wwwsuicideprevention.or.kr/public/public_05_view.htm?idx=9&article_num=6&page=3&keyfield=&keytext=&bbs_id=public_05&bbs_kind=notice, 2005.
- S. Y. Lee, "High School Teachers Knowledge and Misconception on Youth Suicide", Korean Journal of Culture and Social issues, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 97-117, 2007.
- M. Anderson, P. Standen, S. Nazir, J. P. Noon, "Nurses' and Doctors' Attitudes towards Suicidal Behavior in Young People", International Journal of Nursing Studies, Vol. 37, pp. 1-11, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7489(99)00057-7
- M. G. Macdonald, "Teachers' Knowledge of Facts and Myths about Suicide", Psychological Report, Vol. 95, No. 2, pp. 651-656, 2004. doi: 10.2466/pr0.95.2.651-656. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.95.2.651-656
- J. A. Hamrick, R. L. Goldman, G. L. Sapp, M. P. Kohler, "Educator Effectiveness in Identifying Symptoms of Adolescents at Risk for Suicide", Journal of Instructional Psychology, Vol. 31, pp. 246-252, 2004.
- E-J. Lee, "Roles of Childcare Teachers toward Child Abuse Prevention", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 8, pp. 81-91, 2016.
- T. Crawford, W. Geraghty, K. Street, E. Simonoff, "Staff Knowledge and Attitudes towards Deliberate Self-harm in Adolescents", Journal of Adolescence, Vol. 26, pp. 619-629, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-1971(03)00060-5
- S. W. Kim et al., "A Survey on Attitude toward Suicide and Suicidal Behavior in Korea", Journal of Korean Society Biology Therapeutic Psychiatry, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 43-48, 2008.
- M. Kodaka et al., "A Systematic Review of Scales that Measure Attitudes toward Suicide" International Journal of Social Psychiatry, Vol. 57, No. 4, pp. 338-361, 2010. doi: 10.1177/0020764009 357399. https://doi.org/10.1177/0020764009357399
- J. I. Kwon et al. "Attitude toward Suicide and Personal Experiences of Suicide among Doctors and Health Care Workers in Korea", Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatry Association, Vol. 52, pp. 231-242, 2013. https://doi.org/10.4306/jknpa.2013.52.4.231
- Suicide Prevention Resources Center, The Role of High School Mental Health Providers in Preventing suicide,www.http:/www.sprc.org/sites/sprc.org/files/SchoolMentalHealth.pdf, 2013.