- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study of Convergence Relationships among Nurses' Image, Professional Self-Concept and Nursing Professionalism in Nursing Students.
간호대학생의 간호사 이미지, 전문직 자아개념 및 간호전문직관과의 융복합적 관계
- Lee, Eun-Seon (Dept, of Nursing, Nambu University) ;
- Park, Myung-Sook (Dept, of Nursing, Nambu University)
- Received : 2016.11.05
- Accepted : 2017.01.20
- Published : 2017.01.28
The purpose of this study investigates the relationships between nurses' image, professional self-concept and nursing professionalism in nursing students, and explore the plan of nursing education for the establishment of exemplary nursing professionalism in nursing students. A convenience sample of 292 subjects were recruited from one university in G city. And data were collected from November 11 to November 15, 2015. Data were analyzed using t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's Correlation, Stepwise Multiple linear regression analyses with SPSS 21.0 Program. The nursing professionalism of nursing students showed a significantly positive correlation of nurses' image(r=.821, p<.001) professional self-concept(r=.701, p<.001). Fifty-seven percentage of the variance was explained by nurses' image, professional self-concept and grade. Therefore, on the basis of this study's result, when nursing educational programs are developed to make positive professionalism, these factors need to be consider.
- D. Weis, M. J. Schank, "Professional values : key to professional development", Journal of Nursing Professional Nursing, Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 271-275, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1053/jpnu.2002.129224
- M. Takase, E. Kershaw, L. Burt, "Does public image of nurses matter?", Journal of Professional Nursing, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 196-205, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1053/jpnu.2002.127014
- Y. M. Kwon, E. J. Yeun, "Correlation study on nursing professional values, department satisfaction, sociality, self-esteem among nursing students", Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 285-292, 2007.
- E. H. Kim, "Relationships of nursing professionalism, self-leadership and empowerment of nursing students", Journal of Korean Clinical health science, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 532-541, 2016 https://doi.org/10.15205/kschs.2016.4.1.532
- M. H. Nam, Y, Y. C. Kwon. "The relationship between better life index, nursing performance and intents to leave among hospital nurses", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 9, pp. 417-427, 2012. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2012.10.9.417
- K. Leduc, A. M. Kotzer, "Bridging the gap: A comparison of the professional nursing values of students, new graduates, and seasoned professional using", Education Research, Vol.30, No. 5, pp. 279-284, 2009,
- Y. J. Ko, I. K. Kim, "The relationship between professional nursing values and career preparation behaviors of nursing students", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 62-71, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.1.062
- H. J. Park, J. W. Oh, "The Relationships of the Clinical Practice Stress and the Major Satisfaction with the Nursing Professionalism of Nursing College Students", Journal of Digital convergence, Vol. 12, No. 12, pp. 417-426, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.12.417
- K. O. Lee, H. j. Chae, "The relationships between emotional intelligence and college adjustment and nursing professionalism in nursing students", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 10, pp. 355-365, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.10.355
- T. M. Nauderer, M. A. D. Lima, "Nurse's image: Review of the literature", Revista Brasileira de Enfermagem, Vol. 58, No. 1, pp. 74-77, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0034-71672005000100014
- M. Y. Park, S. Y. Kim, "A qualitative study of nursing students' first clinical experience", Journal korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 23-35, 2000.
- D. Arthur, "The develop of an instrument for measuring the professional self-concept of nurse", Master of Educational Thesis, University of Newcastle, Australia. 1990.
- S. I. Park, E. H. Seo, "Effects of nurses Newspaper In Education (NIE) on self efficacy and professional self concept in nursing students", Journal Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 179-187, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.2.179
- W. H. Seo, "Nursing college students'nursing professional self-concept and their satisfaction with clinical nursing practicum", Master's thesis, Kyungpook university. 2006.
- Y. H. Kwon, O. G. Kwag, "Effects of a ready planned small group collaboration learning program through MBTI on nursing professional self-concept and career maturity of nursing college students", Journal Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 229-238, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.2.229
- J. A. Lee, "A study on the image of nurses and the professional self-concept perceived by nursing students", Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 325-334, 2004.
- J. A. Seong, E. Y. Yeom, Y. S. Do, "Image of Nurses and Nursing Professional Values Perceived by Nursing Students", Journal of The Korea Contents Association, Vol. 14, No. 11, pp. 798-809, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.11.798
- H. H. Cho, N. H. Kim, "Relationships Among Nursing Professionalism, Nurse Image, and Core Elements of Nursing Professionalism that Nursing Students Perceive", Journal Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 548-557, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.548
- M. K. Joo, G. Y. Shin, "Nursing image and professionalism perceived by Male and Female Nursing Students in College", Journal Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 510-521, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.3.510
- Y. S. Ham, H. S. Kim, I. S. Cho, J. Y. Lim, "Affecting Factors of Nursing Professionalism Perceived by Senior Nursing Students", Journal Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 536-544. 2011. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.3.536
- K. J. Kang, Y. S. Jeong, H. M. Seo, M. S. Park, M. Yu, Y. R. Chae et al., "Factors influencing professionalism in male and female student nurses", The Journal of Koean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 491-501, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.491
- K. M. Lim, E. J. Jo, "Influence of satisfaction with clinical practice and image of nurses on nursing professionalism of nursing students", Journal of Korean Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 556-566, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.4.556
- H. J. Gu, O. S. Lee, "The correlation between nurse' image, biomedical ethics and professionalism in nursing students", Journal of Korean Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 11, pp. 7356-7366, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7356
- E. J. Seo, N. H. Cha, "Relationships among nursing professional values, bioethics and death ethic perception in nursing student", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 349-358, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.5.349
- E. K. Lee, O. H. Kim, " Comparison among nursing professional values, self-esteem and social support by gender of nursing students", Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 2135-2148, 2013.
- J. J. Yang, "Nurses' Image perceived by student nurses before and after their first clinical practice", Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 9(1), pp. 64-72, 2003.
- H. C. Noh, K. Y. Sohng, "An analytical study of the professional self-concept of hospital nurses in korea", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 94-100, 1996.
- F. Dagneais, A. I. Meleis, "Professionalism, work ethic, and empathy in nursing: The nurse self-description form", Western Journal of Nursing Research, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 407-422, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1177/019394598200400406
- F. S. Oh, H. Y. Lee, K. S. Choi, M. S. Ko, S. J. Lee, I. J. Kim, "A study of evaluating nursing education", Korean Accreditaion Board of Nursing Report, Unpublished manuscript, 2007.
- J. Y. Ha, "Image of Nurses and Career Identity Perceived by Nursing Students", Nursing Science, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 23-30, 2012.
- J. Choi, N. S. Ha, "The relationship among image of nurses, self-esteem and professional socialization in nursing students", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 54-63, 2009.
- S. H. Lee, J. A. Kim, "Image of nurse and it'sl Determinants among Nursing Students and Non-nursing Students", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 52-62, 2006.
- P. A. Pearcey, B. E. Elliott, "Student impressions of clinical nursing", Nurse Education Today, 24(5), 382-387, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2004.03.007
- M. S. Park, M. H. Lee, J. A. Gu, "Clinical competency, professional self-concept, and satisfaction of clinical practice in undergraduate nursing students", Journal of Military Nursing research, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 111-123, 2011.
- M. H. Park, J. J. Yang, "A study on the nurses image perceived by college students", Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 107-121, 2002.
- J. S. Kim, "A study on professional self concept perceived by nursing student", Journal of the Korean data analysis society, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 1991-2001, 2011.
- H. Y. Lee, Y. J. Kim, H. S. Kang, J. Lee, X. Fan, M. Ling, Q. Yuan, "Comparison of Critical Thinking and Professionalism between Korean and Chinese Nursing Students", Journal of East-West Research, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 179-186, 2007.
- E. J. Yeun, Y. M. Kown, & O. H. Ahn, "Development of a Nursing Professional Values Scale", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 35, No. 6, pp. 1091-1100, 2005. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.6.1091
- J. W. K. Geiger, J. S. Davit, "Self-image and job satisfaction in varied settings", Nurs Manag, Vol, 19. pp. 50-58, 1988
- Self-Directed Learning Among Nurse Learners in Sri Lanka vol.50, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3928/00220124-20190102-09