- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Meta-analysis on the effectiveness of interventions applied to teens in multicultural families.
다문화 가정 청소년에게 적용된 중재 프로그램의 효과에 대한 메타분석
- Byun, Soung-Won (Dept. of Nursing, Ansan University) ;
- Kim, Sin-Hyang (Dept. of Nursing, Graduate School of Chung-Ang University) ;
- Park, Si-Hyun (Dept. of Nursing, Inha University)
- Received : 2016.10.05
- Accepted : 2017.01.20
- Published : 2017.01.28
The purpose of this study identified the effectiveness of the existent interventions, which had been applied to the teens in multicultural families in South Korea. Totally 29 relevant studies, including dissertations and published articles, published from 2008 to 2014, were systematically searched and analyzed through meta-analytic method. The study results revealed the specific conditions which made the intervention more effective for the teens in multicultural families. Specifically, the program could be most effective when the program had a social adaptation intervention type as well as aimed to middle school students as a target population. Also, the program could be most effective when the program had lower than 8 sessions, run 3-5 times a week, and had from 21 to 30 participants in one intervention group. In addition, current existing programs showed higher effect sizes on outcomes focusing on relationships rather than on those focusing on psychological problems. This study is theoretically meaningful in terms of quantitatively synthesizing the existing intervention programs for the teens in multicultural families. In addition, we expect that this study would practically contribute to develop evidence-based programs for those teens in multicultural families.
- Ministry of Education, "The number of students of multicultural families.", 2014.
- DOI: http://www.hankyung.com/news/app/newsview.php?aid=201409217021g&intype=1
- H. W. Lee, H. Y. Lee., "Factors affecting school adjustment of the migrant workers' children in Korea", Democratic Society and policy Studies, Vol. 22, pp. 132-161, 2012.
- S. B. Choi, H. C. Lee, G. S. Kim, "Influence adaptation to the satisfaction of the life of the school life of children youth of multicultural families." South Korea Children's Youth Panel Survey Scientific Conference, Vol. 1, pp. 1-19, 2011.
- S. G. Song, "A Study on the Last 10 Years' Research Trend of Art Therapies for Youth" Arts Psychotherapy Research, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 155-179, 2014.
- E. H. Lee, G. O. Lee, "The Effectiveness of Peer Relation Improvement Program on Peer Relation in Children of Multi-cultural Families" The Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 605-612, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.2.605
- G. S. Cho, "The effects of positive psychology coaching program on self-efficacy, attitude of class, comradeship for multicultural family' children", Master's thesis, Graduate school of education, Kwangwoon University, Seoul, 2012.
- H. H. Son, "The effect which the sociability extension program reaches in social technique to the multicultural family infant", Master's thesis, Graduate school of education, Kaya University, Gimhae, 2010.
- Y. J. Jung, S. S. Pu, E. S. Hong. "The Impact of a Multi-cultural Education Program on Self-Concepts, Adjustments and Social Relationships of Young Children from Multi-cultural Families" Korean Society For Early Childhood Physical Education, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 7-19, 2011.
- M. N. Lee, Y. S. Sun, "The Effect of Bibliotherapy Program for Shy Children of Multicultural Family" Research of Bibliotherapy, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 115-129, 2011.
- I. S. Kim, G. H. Lee, "An Effect of Dance and Movement Therapy(DMT) on Psychosocial Adjustment of Multi-cultural Children" Arts Psychotherapy Research, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 57-73, 2011.
- S. H. Park, "Effects of the Reduction of Bicultural Stress and the Improvement of Peer Relation of Children in Multicultural Family", Korean Journal of Arts Therapy, Vol. 1, pp. 25-51, 2010.
- S. M. Ha, M. O. Go, "The Effects of a Group Art Therapy Program on Developing Communication Self-Expression and Art Self-Expression Abilities Assessed for the Children of Multicultural Families", Asian Journal of Child Welfare and Development, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 21-39, 2011.
- S. H. Yeum, H. K. Shin, S. S. Oh, "The Effects of a Social Skills Group-Training Program on Social Skills, Negative Automatic Thoughts, and Stress in International Couples' Children". Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol 29, No. 3, pp. 853-873, 2010. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2010.29.3.012
- J. U. Kim, C. J. Park, "The Effect of A Character Development Program on Self-Esteem and School Adjustment of Multicultural Families Children". Journal of North-east Asian cultures, Vol 27, pp. 41-59, 2011.
- S. U. Han, "The Development and Effect of School Adjustment Program for Elementary School Students from Multicultural Families", Ph.D. dissertation, Chonbuk University, Jeonju, 2012.
- Durlak. J. A & Dupre, E. P., "Implementation Matters: a review of research on the influence of implementation on program outcomes and the factors affecting implementation." American Journal of Community Psychology, Vol. 41, pp. 327-350, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10464-008-9165-0
- J. M. Lee, G. N. Jeon, "The effects of multicultural education programs on Korean children's multicultural competences: A meta-analytic synthesis", Korean Journal of Teacher Education, Vol. 29, No.2, pp. 279-306, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14333/KJTE.2013.29.2.279
- H. W. Lee, "A Meta-Analysis on the Effects of Multi-Cultural Education Programs for Children", Theory and Practice of Education, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 43-63, 2014.
- G. R. Kim, "A Study on the Character Education Contents and Approach for Infants and Young Children", Journal of Early Childhood Education & Educare Welfare, Vol. 2, pp. 61-65, 2011.
- S. S. Oh, "Meta-analysis : theory and practice, Seoul: Konkuk University Press", 2007.
- Cooper, H., "Research synthesis and meta-analysis: A step by step approach(4th ed.), NY: Sage Publications Inc", 2010.
- Malchiodi C. A., "Handbook of art therapy. NY: The Guilford Press", 2005.
- Rosenthal, R. Rosnow, R. L., "Essentials of behavioral research: Methods and data analysis (2nd ed.), NY: McGraw-Hill.", 1991.
- S. D. Hwang, "Meta-analysis, Seoul: HAKJISA", 2014.
- Cohen, "Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences, NY: Academic Press", 1998.
- Borenstein, M., Hedges, L. V., Higgins, J. P. T, & Rothstein, H. R., "Introduction to meta-anaylsis. West Sussex. UK: Wiley.", 2009.
- Cocoran, J., Dattalo, P., Crowley, M., Brown, E., Grindle, L., "A Systemic review of psychosocial intervention for suicidal adolescent", Children and youth Services Review, Vol. 33, No. 9, pp. 2112-2118, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2011.06.017
- Higgins, J., & Green, S., "Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Intervention(5.1. vers.). The Cochrane Collaboration. Retrieved from www.Cochrane-handbook.org. meta-analysis version 2. Englewood, NJ: Biostat", 2011.
- Borenstein, M., Hedges, L. V., Higgins, J. P., & Rothastein, H. R., "Comprehensive meta-analysis version 2. Englewood, NJ: Biostat.", 2005.
- S. S. Shin, "Effect of School Adjustment Program for Elementary School Students from Multicultural Families' Ego-identity, Peer Relationship and Degree of Satisfaction with Their School Lives", The Journal of Educational Research, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 459-481, 2012.