- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Supervisor's Authentic Leadership on OCB and Job Performance for Employees
상사의 진성리더십이 구성원의 조직시민행동과 직무성과에 미치는 영향
Tak, Jin-Gyu;Roh, Tae-Woo
- Received : 2016.11.17
- Accepted : 2017.01.20
- Published : 2017.01.28
This study analyzes the influence of the four components of authentic leadership on employees' OCB and job performance to suggest the implications behind the developing of authentic leadership. A survey was conducted on employees of various business areas in Korea, and 448 responses were used in statistical analysis. The results are as follow: First, self-awareness has not shown significantly effective on organizational citizenship behavior and job performance. Second, internalized moral perspective has shown significantly effective toward organizational citizenship behavior and job performance. Third, relational transparency has shown significantly effective for organizational citizenship behavior, but not effective for job performance. Forth, balanced processing of information has not shown significantly effective on organizational citizenship behavior and job performance. This paper makes significant contribution by considering the supervisor's relational transparency and internalized moral perspective, because these authentic leadership dimensions improve employees' OCB and job performance.
Authentic Leadership;Self-Awareness;Internalized Moral Perspective;Relational Transparency;Balanced Processing of Information;Organizational Citizenship Behavior(OCB);Job Performance
- B. J. Avolio and W. L. Gardner, "Authentic leadership development: Getting to the root of positive forms of leadership." Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 315-338, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2005.03.001
- J. B. Kim, "A Study on the Influence of Authentic Leadership in the Age of Convergence on the Organizational Effectiveness: Revolved around Effect of Tuned from Confidence of Superio." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 12, pp. 125-134, 2015.
- J. G. Yoon, "What Is Authenticity?" Haneon: Seoul, 2012.
- B. J. Luthans and F., Avolio, "Authentic Leadership: A Positive Developmental Approach." Positive Organizational Scholarship, pp. 241-261, 2003.
- W. J. Choi and Y. H. Cho, "The Effects of Authentic Leadership on Psychological Well-being and Adaptive Performance: The Mediating Role of Self-Efficacy." Korean Journal of Management, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 185-228, 2013.
- H. K. Lee, "Effects of authentic leadership on organizational commitment for employees." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 5, pp. 181-190, 2014.
- M. H. Kernis, "Towards a conceptualization of optimal self-esteem." Psychological Inquiry, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 1-26, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327965PLI1401_01
- F. O. Walumbwa, B. J. Avolio, W. L. Gardner, T. S. Wernsing, and S. J. Peterson, "Authentic Leadership: Development and Validation of a Theory-Based Measure." Journal of Management, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 89-126, 2008.
- W. L. Gardner, B. J. Avolio, F. Luthans, D. R. May, and F. Walumbwa, "'Can you see the real me?' A self-based model of authentic leader and follower development." Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 343-372, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2005.03.003
- M. K. Lee, Y. J. Kim; B. H. Noh, and Y. M. Park, "Converged Research on the Difference of Learning Style According to Sasang Constitution and Major and Brain Dominance." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 145-153, 2016.
- R. Ilies, F. P. Morgeson, and J. D. Nahrgang, "Authentic leadership and eudaemonic well-being: Understanding leader-follower outcomes." Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 373-394, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2005.03.002
- F. O. Walumbwa, P. Wang, H. Wang, J. Schaubroeck, and B. J. Avolio, "Psychological processes linking authentic leadership to follower behaviors." Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 21, No. 5, pp. 901-914, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2010.07.015
- D. W. Organ, "Organizational Citizenship Behavior: The Good Soldier Syndrome." Lexington, 1988.
- D. W. Bateman and T. S. Organ, "Job satisfaction and good soldier: The relationship between affect and employee citizenship." Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 587-595, 1983. https://doi.org/10.2307/255908
- J. W. Graham, "An essay on organizational citizenship behavior." Employee Responsibilities and Rights Journal, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 249-270, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01385031
- J. P. Campbell, "On the Nature of Organizational Effectiveness." New Perspective on Organizational Effectiveness, Vol. 13, 1977.
- P. M. Podsakoff, S. B. Mackenzie, J. B. Paine, and D. G. Bachrach, "Organizational citizenship behaviors: A critical review of the theoretical and future research." Journal of Management, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 513-563, 2000.
- B. J. Avolio, W. L. Gardner, F. O. Walumbwa, F. Luthans, and D. R. May, "Unlocking the mask: A look at the process by which authentic leaders impact follower attitudes and behaviors." Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 801-823, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2004.09.003
- R. P. Tett and J. P. Meyer, "Job satisfaction, organizational commitment, turnover intention, and turnover: path analyses based on meta‐analytic findings." Personnel Psychology, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 259-293, 1993.
- M. Blumberg and C. D. Pringle, "The missing, opportunity in organizational research: Some implications for a theory of work performance." Academy of Management Review, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 560-569, 1982. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1982.4285240
- J. W. Lee and J. W. Park, "Effects Hotel Leader's Transformational Leadership on Job Performance: Focused on Intermediating Effect of Organizational Commitment and Job Commitment." Journal of Tourism and Leisure Research, Vol. 27, No. 12, pp. 393-409, 2015.
- R. A. Brown and S. P. Peterson, "Antecedents and Consequences of Salesperson Job Satisfaction A Meta-analysis and Assessment of Causal Effects." Journal of Marketing, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 66-70, 1993.
- S. J. Peterson, F. O. Walumbwa, B. J. Avolio, and S. T. Hannah, "The relationship between authentic leadership and follower job performance: The mediating role of follower positivity in extreme contexts." Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 502-516, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2011.12.004
- B. J. Avolio, W. L. Gardner, and F. O. Walumbwa, "Authentic leadership scale (ALQ Version 1.0 Self)." Redwood City, CA: Mind Garden, 2007.
- L. J. Williams and S. E. Anderson, "Job satisfaction and organizational commitment as predictors of organizational citizenship and in-role behavior." Journal of Management, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 601-617, 1991.
- H. S. Ko, "The Effects of the Supervisor's Leadership and Perceived Organizational Support, the Individual's Needs for Achievement on the Organizational Commitment: Focused on the Role of Self-Leadership." The Graduate School of Business Administration Seoul School of Integrated Sciences & Technologies, 2012.
- J. Yang, K. W. Mossholder, and T. K. Peng, "Supervisory procedural justice effects: The mediating roles of cognitive and affective trust." Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 143-154, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2009.01.009
- J. H. Kim, "The Effects of Perception and Attitude on Corporate Philanthropy on Job Performance: Focusing on Mediated Effects of Organizational Citizenship Behavior." Social Science Research Review, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 127-148, 2012.
- H. S. Lee and J. H. Lim, "SPSS 20.0 Manual." Seoul: JypHyunJae, 2013.
- J. Anderson and D. Gerbing, "Structural Equation Modelling In Practice: A Review And Recommended Two-Step Approach." Psychological. Bulletin, Vol. 103, No. 3, pp. 411-423, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.103.3.411
- C. Fornell and D. F. Larcker, "Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error." Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 39-50, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- J. Tzelgov and A. Henik, "Suppression situations in psychological research: Definitions, implications, and applications." Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 109, No. 3, pp. 524-536, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.109.3.524
- S. E. Valsania, J. A. M. Leon, F. M. Alonso, and G. T. Cantisano, "Authentic leadership and its effect on employees' organizational citizenship behaviours." Psicothema, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 561-566, 2012.
- J. C. Shin and K. I. Kim, "A study on the success factors in the Enterprise Information Systems introduced." Journal of IT Convergence Society for SMB, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 1-8, 2016.
- J. Y. Lee, "r-Learning and Educational Information Policies." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 1-15, 2010.
- B. G. Park, "A Convergence Study of Transformational Leadership on Organizational Devotion and Team Performance: Moderating Effects of Authenticity." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 7, pp. 117-124, 2015.
Supported by : 순천향대학교, 서울과학종합대학원대학교