- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of the fitness among Entrepreneurship, Dynamic capabilities and Innovation activities on Business performance
기업가정신과 동적역량, 혁신활동의 적합성이 경영성과에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Jin-Kwon (Graduate School of knowledge-based Technology and Energy, Korea Polytechnic University) ;
- Ahn, Tony Donghui (Department of Business Administration, Korea Polytechnic University)
- Received : 2016.11.10
- Accepted : 2017.01.20
- Published : 2017.01.28
The purposes of this study is to examine the effect of fitness among entrepreneurship, dynamic capabilities and innovation activities on business performance. A survey was conducted and analyzed on small & medium manufacturing companies in Korea with the following result of the study. First, the fitness of entrepreneurship and dynamic capabilities, the fitness of dynamic capabilities and innovation activities, the fitness of entrepreneurship and innovation activities have a significant effect on business performance respectively. Second, the fitness of all the three variables also has a significant positive effect on the performance. Additional path analysis shows that dynamic capabilities and innovation activities have mediating roles between entrepreneurship and business performance. The results imply that not only each of the entrepreneurship, dynamic capabilities, and innovation activities has a positive effect on business performance but also the three factors in harmony have a synergic positive effect on the business performance.
Entrepreneurship;Dynamic capabilities;Innovation activities;Business performance;Fitness
- Simon, D. G., Hittt, M. A., Arregle, J-L. & Campbell, T. J. "The Dynamic Interplay of Capability Strengths and Weaknesses: Investigating the Bases of Temporary Competitive" Advantage, Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 31, No. 13, pp. 1386-1409, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.893
- Allred, C. R., Fawcett, S. E., Wallin, C. & Magnan, C. M. "A Dynamic Collaboration Capability as a Source of Competitive Advantage" Decision Sciences, Vol. 42, No. 1, pp 129-161, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5915.2010.00304.x
- Gebauera, H., Gustafsson, A. & Witell, L. "Competitive Advantage through Service Differentiation by Manufacturing Companies" Journal of Business Research, Vol. 64, No. 12, pp1 270-1280, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2011.01.015
- Teece, D., Pisano, G., & Shuen, A.."Dynamic Capabilities and strategic management" Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 31, No 8, pp 892-902, 1997.
- Eisenhardt, K., & Martin, J. "Dynamic Capabilities: What are they?" Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 20, No. 10, pp 1105-1121, 2000.
- Zollo, M., & Winter,S. "Deliberate Learning and the Evolution of Dynamic Capabilities" Organization Science, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp 339-351, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.13.3.339.2780
- S. D. Chang & T. H. Kang, "The Effects of Environmental Uncertainty, Organizational Slack, and Paternalism on Corporate Entrepreneurship and Firm Performance" An Empirical Study of SMEs in Korea, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp, 65-87, 2010.
- Gordon. J. Pearson, "Promoting Entrepreneurship in Large Companies" Long Range Planning, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 87-97, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1016/0024-6301(89)90011-3
- Zahra, S. A. & Garvis, D. M. "International Corporate Entrepreneurship and Firm Performance: The Moderating Effect of International Environmental Hostility" Journal of Business Venturing, 15(5-6), pp, 465-492. 2000.
- Schumpeter. J. A, "The Theory of Economic Development" Harvard Economic Studies, 1934.
- Howard H Stevenson & J. Carlos. Jarillo "A Paradigm of Entrepreneurship: Entrepreneurial Management" Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 11, No. 5, pp17-27, 1990.
- Miller, D. "The correlates of entrepreneurship in three types of firms" Management Science, Vol. 29 pp770-791, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.29.7.770
- Barney, J, & Arikan, A "The resource based view: Origins and implications", Handbook of strategic management, pp. 124-188, 2001.
- Adner, R., & Helfat, C. E " Corporate effects and dynamic managerial capabilities" Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 24, No. 10, pp.1011-1025, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.331
- Knight, K.E., "A Descriptive Model of the intra-firm innovation process" Journal of Business, Vol 10, No. 2, pp.478-496, 1967.
- Draft, R. L. "A Dual-core Model of Organizational Innovation" Academy of management Journal, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 392-409, 1978.
- Barney.J. "Firm resources and sustained competitive advantage" Journal of Management, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp 99-120, 1991.
- Robert Drazin and Andrew H. Van de Ven "Alternative Forms of Fit in Contingency Theory" Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 30, No. 4, pp. 514-539, 1985. https://doi.org/10.2307/2392695
- Teece, D, "Explicating Dynamic Capabilities: The Nature and Microfoundations of Sustainable Enterprise Performance" Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 28, No. 13, pp. 1319-1350, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.640
- Y. T. Lee, "A Study on the relationship among entrepreneurship, management innovation activity and performance" Ph.D. dissertation, pp. 1-127, Kyungnam University. 2013.
- J. I. Chun, B. H. Lee, "The Effect of Dynamic Capabilities on International Performance of Korea Exporting SMEs: The Moderating Role of Environmental Dynamism and Firm Type" Korean Academy Of International Business Management, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 45-74, 2016.
- I. S. Lee, J. W. Roh, Y. Y. You, " Empirical Study on the Effects of Business Alliance capabilities needed for each stage of alliance life cycle on Performance - Focused on the Moderating Effect of Partnership & Entrepreneurship Using Multi-Group Analysis " International Commerce and Information Review, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 431-463, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15798/kaici.16.3.201406.431
- R. Y. Park, "An Empirical Study on the Relationship between CEO Characteristics and Technological Innovation" Journal of Organization and Management, Vol 22, No 2, pp. 119-229, 1998
- K. H. Hwang & H. S. Park, "The Effects of CEO's Transformational Leadership on Member's Innovative Behavior and Organizational Citizenship Behavior in the ICT Industry: Mediating Effects of Self-Efficacy" Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 7, pp. 147-161, 2015.
- M. H. Park, S. H. Park, "Effects of Quality Management Activities on the Financial and Non-Financial Performance of Manufacturing SMEs in Korea" Journal of Finance and accounting information, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 59-82, 2013
- Y. H. Huh, C. Lee, "Determinants of Dynamic Capability and Its Relationships with Competitive Advantage and Performance in Foreign Markets" International Business Journal, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 33-73, 2012.
- S. I. Choi, S. B. Song, "A Study on the Effect Business Performance of Convergence Capabilities on Corporate" Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 177-184, 2015.
- K. I. Kim, "The Impact of several management tools and techniques adoption on strong small business enterprises' Performance",Journal of Convergence Society for SMB, Vol.6, No.3, pp.7-12,2016.
- H. Kim, and K. H. Park, "The impact of collaboration process and capabilities on innovation performance in convergence environment", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.13, No.5, pp.151-158, 2015.
- H.C.Kim, S.K.Lee, "An Empirical Study on the Critical Success Factor of Technological Innovation of Small-Medium Sized enterprises by growth stages - Focusing on the Case Study" Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No.10, pp.1-20, 2014
- K .I. Kim "A study on the plan for consolidating the IT Convergency Capabilities of SMB", Journal of Convergence Society for SMB, Vol.4, No.3 pp.41-46, 2014.
- L. S. Kim "Convergence of Information Technology and Corporate Strategy", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol.6, No.6, pp. 17-26,2015.
- T. S. Jeong, "The Suggestion for Successful Factory Converging Automation by Reviewing Smart Factories in German" Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No.1, pp. 189-196, 2016.