- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Comparison of Earnings Quality Between KOSPI Firms and KOSDAQ Firms
상장기업과 코스닥기업의 회계이익의 질 비교
- Moon, Hyun-Ju (Dept. of Business Administration, SunMoon Uni.)
- 문현주 (선문대학교 경영학과)
- Received : 2016.10.25
- Accepted : 2017.01.20
- Published : 2017.01.28
This study analyzed and compared the accounting earnings quality after the adoption of K-IFRS, targeting the stock exchange-listed firms (KOSPI, KOSDAQ). The analysis first revealed that KOSPI had higher quality accruals, and better persistence and predictability of the reported earnings and cash flows, compared to KOSDAQ. Second, in both KOSPI and KOSDAQ, the predictability of future cash flow showed that the accounting earnings was better than the cash flows. Third, for the persistence and predictability of earnings associated with the degree of accruals, in KOSPI and KOSDAQ both all, groups with better accruals quality had greater persistence and predictability of earnings, and a better future cash flow predictability of accounting earnings.
Korean International Financial Reporting Standards(K-IFRS);Earnings Quality;Persistence;Predictability;Accruals
- Bellas, A., K. Toludas, and K. Papadatos, "The Consequences of Applying International Accounting Standards (IAS) to the Financial Statements of Greek Enterprises ",Working paper, 2007.
- Morais, A. and J. D. Curto, "IASB Standards Adoption : Value Relevance and Influence of Country-Specific Factors",Working paper, 2007.
- Francis, J., R. LaFond, P. Olsson, and K. Schipper, "Cost of Capital and Earnings Attributes", The Accounting Review, Vol. 79, pp.967-1010, 2004. https://doi.org/10.2308/accr.2004.79.4.967
- M.C.Kim, K.Choi, "The Quality of Earnings Concept.", Korean Accounting Journal, Vol. 8, No.1, pp.221-249, 1999.
- Christensen, H. B., E. Lee, and M. Walker, Cross-section Variation in the Economic Consequences of International Accounting Harmonisation: The Case of Mandatory Adoption in the UK ",The International Journal of Accounting,Vol. 42, pp.341-379, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intacc.2007.09.007
- Gordon, E., Jorgensen, B., Linthicum, C., "Could IFRS Replace US GAAP? A Comparison of Earnings Attributes and Informativeness in the US Market", Working paper, Temple University, Columbia University, and University of Texas, SanAntonio, 2008.
- Ahmed, A., M. Neel, and D. Wang, "Does mandatory adoption of IFRS improve accounting quality? Preliminary evidence", Contemporary Accounting Research. forthcoming, 2012.
- E. J. Yeo, Y. S. Koh, J. H. Kim, "The Effects of the IFRS on the Financial Statement", Korea International Accounting Review, Vol. 19, pp.175-201, 2007.
- S.H. Choi, I. S. Kim, K.. Choi, "The Early Adoption of K-IFRS and its Effect on the Quality of Accounting Information", Korean Accounting Review, Vol.36, No. 2, pp.1-31, 2011.
- H. J. Moon, "A Comparison of Earnings Quality under Korean GAAP versus IFRS", Business Education Research,Vol. 26, No 6, pp.143-162, 2011.
- K.H. Choe , Y. J. Son, " The Effect of K-IFRS Adoption on the Financial Statement Items, Financial Ratios, and Accruals", Korean Accounting Journal, Vol. 21,No. 6, pp.209-256, 2012.
- H.Y. Park, H.Y.Lee, M.J. Kang, "The Impact of IFRS Adoption on Earnings management and Audit Hours", Accounting and Auditing Research,Vol. 54,No. 2, pp.529-564, 2012.
- S.Y.Lee, "Accruals Quality and the Ability of Earnings to Predict Future Cash Flows", Korean Accounting Journal, Vol. 10,No. 4, pp.9-41, 2012.
- Barth. M. E., W. R. Landsman., M. H. Lang, "International Accounting Standards and Accounting Quality ",Journal of Accounting Research, Vol. 46, No. 3, pp.467-498, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-679X.2008.00287.x
- Ding, Y., O. K. Hope, T. Jeanjean, and H. Stolowy, Differences between Domestic Accounting Standards and IAS: Measurement, Determinants and Implications", Journal of Accounting & Public Policy, Vol. 26, pp.1-38, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0143814X06000420
- D.I.Kim, "Analysis of the Value Relevance on International Financial Reporting Standards Fair Value in China", Journal of Digital Convergence , Vol.12, No.9, pp.75-81, 2014.
- K.S.An,K.Y.Kim,"Relationship of earnings and credit rating before and after IFRS", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.12, No.11, pp.99-112, 2014.
- H.Y. Ma,S.J. Park, "A Case Study on the Adoption of K-IFRS: focusing on the Ground Radio Wave Broadcasting System Sector, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.11, No.5, pp.135-144, 2013.
- Lev. B., "On the Usefulness of Earninga and Earning Research : Lessons and Direction from two Decades of Empirical Research",Journal of Accounting Research, Vol. 27(Supplement), pp.153-219, 1989. https://doi.org/10.2307/2491070
- Dechow,P.D.,I.D.Dichev,"The Quality of Accruals and Earnings : The Role of Accrual Estimation Errors", The Accounting Review, Vol. 77(supplement), pp.35-59, 2002, https://doi.org/10.2308/accr.2002.77.s-1.35
- K.S.Park, E.J. Lee, H.S.Jang, "Role of Controlling Shareholders in the Corporate Goverence of Korean Firms", The Korean Journal Of Fianance, Vol. 17, No.2, pp.163-201, 2004.
- S.S.Yoon, "A Comparison of Between KOSPI Firms and KOSDAQ Firms", Asia-Pacific Journal of Financial Studes, Vol. 29, pp.57-85, 2001.
- McNichols, M. F., " Discussion of The Quality of Accruals and Earnings : The Role of Accrual Estimation Errors",The Accounting Review, Vol. 77(supplement), pp.61-69, 2002. https://doi.org/10.2308/accr.2002.77.s-1.61
- Beneish, M., Miller, B.,Yohn,T., "The Impact of Financial Reporting on Equity versus Debt Market :Macroeconomic Evidence from Mandatory IFRS Adoption", working paper,Indiana University
- Farshadfar,S.,C.Ng and M.Brimle, "The Relative Ability Of Earnings and Cash Flows Data in Forecasting Future Cash Flows, Pacific Accounting Review, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp.254-268, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1108/01140580810920236
- Imhoff, Jr., E.,"Accounting Quality and Corporate Governance. Accounting Horizons. Forthcoming.
- Y.I.Pyo, "The Relative Informativeness of Accounting Income versus Cash Flows about Future Cash Flows ", Korean Organization Management Research, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp.65-81, 2008.
- Lev,B. 1983. Some economic determinants of the time-series properties of earnings",Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp.31-48, 1992
- Sloan,R.G., "Do Stock Prices fully reflect Information in Accrual and Cash Flow about Future Earnings?", The Accounting Review,Vol. 71, pp.239-315, 1996.
- J.Y.Lee,K.I.Kim,"The Effects of Accounting Service Worker's Professoionalism and Accounting Information System's Level on the Quality of Customer's Accounting Information", Covergence Society for SMB,Vol.6, No.3, pp.1-6, 2016.