- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Information Literacy and Motivation Factors on Information Representation Capability and Information Contribution
정보리터러시와 동기요인이 정보표현능력과 정보공헌에 미치는 영향
- Kang, Jae-Jung (Dept. of Business Administration, Jeju National University) ;
- Kim, Yoo-Jung (Dept. of Business Administration, Hoseo University)
- Received : 2016.09.18
- Accepted : 2017.01.20
- Published : 2017.01.28
Web 2.0 paradigm and technologies allow users to contribute their information voluntarily and actively to online community. This paper aims to investigate key determinants of information contribution in online communities. We come up with the research model and proposed hypotheses on the basis of intensive literature review on motivation theory, information literacy, and self expression. Using survey response date collected from those who have ever experienced in uploading or providing information on online community such as social media. A total of 262 survey responses were used to test research hypotheses. The results show that self expression motive influences on information representation capability(IRC) and information contribution. The impact of Information literacy on IRC is found to be significant, and IRC is positively related to information contribution. In addition, approval motive is proven to be key determinant of IRC and information contribution. Some practical implications of these findings are discussed.
Self Expression Motive;Information Literacy;Approval Motive;Information Representation Capability;Information Contribution
Supported by : 제주대학교
- Ho-Seong Yun, "Effect of Online Social Network to Build Virtual Human Capita", The Journal of Digital Policy, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 71-79, 2010.
- S. Ye, H, Chen, X. Jin, "An Empirical Study of What Drives Users to Share Knowledge in Virtual Communities", International Conference on Knowledge Science, Engineering and Management, pp. 563-575, 2006.
- C. Yu, T. Chu, "Exploring Knowledge Contribution from an OCB Perspective", Information & Management, Vol. 44, No. 3, pp. 731-331, 2007.
- H. W. Kim, R. Zheng, S. Gupta, "Examining Knowledge Contribution from the Perspective of an Online Identity in Blogging Communities", Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 27, No. 5, pp. 1760-1770, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2011.03.003
- Sang-Hyun Kim, Young-Mi Song, "A Study on the Motivating Factors Influencing Intention to Share Individual Users' Knowledge in Social Networking Service", The e-Business Studies, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 327-346, 2010. https://doi.org/10.15719/geba.11.3.201009.327
- Doo-Hee Lee, Seong-Hee Lim, "Motivations and Consequences of Voluntary Self-Disclosure by Blog Users", Advertising Research, Vol. 17, No. 5, pp. 227-240, 2006.
- Ji-Eun Choi, Doo-Hee Lee, "Antecedents and Consequences of Knowledge Sharing on SNS", Marketing Management Research, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 29-44, 2013.
- B. S. Chakravarthy, A. Zaheer, S. Zaheer, "Knowledge Sharing in Organizations: A Field Study", Strategic Management Research Center, University of Minnesota, pp. 1999-1935, 1999.
- B. Van den Hooff, van Weenen, "Committed to share: commitment and CMC use as antecedents of knowledge sharing", Knowledge and Process Management, Vol. 11. No. 1, pp. 13-24, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/kpm.187
- Seo-Han Lee, Ho Lee, Kyung-Kyu Kim, "The Influence of Intra-SNS on Knowledge Sharing Behavior: Social Psychology Perspective", Knowledge Management Research, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 189-206, 2014.
- Seil-Hong, Byoung-Soo Kim, "A Study on Antecedents of Game User Participation Intention in User Community in an Era of Convergence", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 185-194, 2016.
- M. Wasko, S. Faraj, "Why should I share?: examining social capital and knowledge contribution in electronic networks of practice", MIS Quarterly, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 34-56, 2005.
- M. Hansen, N. Nohria, T. Tierney, "What's your strategy for managing knowledge?", Harvard Business Review, Vol. 77, No. 2, pp. 106-116, 1999.
- A., Kankanhalli, B. Tan, K. Wei. "Contributing Knowledge to Electronic Knowledge Repositories: An Empirical Investigation", MIS Quarterly, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 113-143, 2005. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148670
- Min-Sun Yeu, So Young Bae, "A Study on the Influence of Flow on Online Community Satisfaction : Focusing on the Mediating Role of Social Capital", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 9, pp. 171-179, 2016.
- G. W. Bock, R. W. Zmud, Y. Kim, J. Lee, "Behavioral Intention Formation Knowledge Sharing: Examining Roles of Extrinsic Motivators, Social-Psychological Forces and Organizational Climate", MIS Quarterly, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 87-111, 2005. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148669
- Kyung-Kyu Kim, Beom-Soo Kim, Se-Jeong Song, Ho-Kyoung Shin, "Does Knowledge-sharing Intent Matter in the Use of Knowledge Management Systems?", Asia Pacific Journal of Information Systems, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 65-89, 2005.
- Jae-Jung Kang, Yoo-Jung Kim, "Effects of Online Citizenship Behavior, Trust, Incentives on Information Contribution in Online Community", The Journal of Internet Electronic Commerce Research, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 85-108, 2012.
- S. H. Kwok, S. Gao, "Attitude towards Knowledge Sharing Behavior", Journal of Computer Information Systems, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 45-51, 2005.
- H. F. Lin, "Effects of Extrinsic and Intrinsic Motivation on Employee Knowledge Sharing Intentions", Journal of Information Science, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 135-149, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1177/0165551506068174
- Do-Hyung Park, Sung-Wook Lee, In-Gu Han, "A Exploratory Study on Identifying UCC sharing motivation: Focused on UCC Video UCC", The 2007 Spring Conference of The Korea Society of Management Information Systems, pp. 171-178, 2007.
- W. B. Swann Jr., To be adored or to be known : The interplay of self-enhancement and self-verification. In R. M. Sorrentino & E. T. Higgins (Eds.) Foundations of Social Behavior, Vol. 2, pp. 408-448. New York: Guilford, 1990.
- B. Gersch, "Gender at the Crossroads: The Internet as Cultural Text", Journal of Communication Inquiry, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 306-321, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1177/0196859998022003005
- Hyun-Jee Park, Bong-Gyu Park, Young-Ha Kim, "A Study on the Relationship among Social Support, Self Expression, Tourism Experience and Tourism SNS Use Intention - Moderating Effect of Tourism SNS Usage Purpose-", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 12. pp. 105-115, 2015.
- Jun-Ko, Sun-Jin Shin, Hee-Woong King, "The Antecedents of Need for Self-Presentation and the Effect on Digital Item Purchase Intention in an Online Community", Asia Pacific Journal of Information Systems, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 117-144, 2008.
- Byoung-Soo Kim, Dae-Kil Kim, "A Study on Antecedents of SNS User's Addiction in the Age of Convergence: The Role of SNS Habit", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13. No. 8, pp. 161-168, 2015.
- E. Goffman, "The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life", London: Penguin, 1982.
- D. P Crowne and D. Marlowe, "The approval motive: studies in evaluative dependence", New York: Wiley, 1964.
- Na-Rae Kim, Ki-Hak Lee, "The Influence of Need for Approval, Social Support and Social Anxiety on Life Satisfaction among College Students", The Counseling Studies, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 245-264, 2015.
- Yong-Kil Cho, "The Effect of Self-Disclosure on the Intention to Use of SNS in the Digital Convergence Environment", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 139-150, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.5.139
- M. Wei, B. Mallinckrodt, L. M. Larson, and R. A Zakalik, "Adult Attachment, Depressive Symptoms, and Validation From Self Versus Others", Journal of Counseling Psychology, Vol. 52, No. 3, pp. 368-377, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0188.8.131.528
- Sun-Kyu Lee, Dong-Guk Choi, Doo-yul Kim, Eun-gu Kang, Sang-min Lee, "A Study on the Influence of Dimensions of Learning Organization to Job Satisfaction : Mediating Effect of Self-Efficacy", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 7, pp. 113-121, 2014.
- D. Compeau, C. Higgins, "Computer Self Efficacy: Development of a Measure and Initial Tes.", MIS Quarterly, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 189-211. 1995. https://doi.org/10.2307/249688
- M.-H. Kang, R.-Y. Kim, "A Study on the Effective Use of Big 6 Information Literacy Model", Study of Education and Broadcasting, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 5-25, 2000.
- Jae-Jung Kang, "The Role of Information literacy Competency in Technology Acceptance Model", The Journal of Internet Electronic Commerce Research, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 13-34, 2010. 12.
- Hae-Young Lee, Tae-Woo Nam, "The Study on Undergraduates' Information Literacy Scale Development", Journal of the Korean Society for Library and Information Science, Vol. 42, No. 4, pp. 503-532, 2008. https://doi.org/10.4275/KSLIS.2008.42.4.503
- M. R. Leary, R. M., Kowalski, "Impression management: A literature review and two-component model", Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 107, pp. 34-47, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.107.1.34
- J. R. Dominick, "Who Do You Think You Are? Personal Home Pages and Self-Presentation on the World Wide Web", Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly December, Vol. 76, No. 4, pp. 646-658, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1177/107769909907600403
- Y. Moon, "Intimate Exchanges: Using Computers to Elicit Self-disclosure from Consumers", Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 324-340, 2000.
- Chao-Min C, Meng-Hsiang Hsu, Eric T.G. Wang, "Understanding knowledge sharing in virtual communities: An integration of social capital and social cognitive theories", Decision Support Systems, Vol. 42, No. 3, pp. 1872-1888, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2006.04.001
- Nam-Ho Chung, Ki-Chan Nam, Chul-Mo Koo, "Examining Information Sharing in Social Networking Communities: Applying Theories of Social Capital and Attachment", Telematics and Infomatics, Vol. 33, pp. 77-91, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tele.2015.05.005
- M. Ma, R. Agarwal, "Through a glass darkly: Information technology design, identity verification, and knowledge contribution in online communities", Information Systems Research, Vol. 17, No, 1, pp. 42-67, 2007.
- M. M. Wasko, S. Faraj, "Why should I here? Examining social capital, knowledge contribution in electronic networks of practice", MIS Quarterly, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 35-57, 2005. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148667
- L. Liu, C. M. K. Cheong, M. K. O. Lee, "An empirical investigation of information sharing behavior on social commerce sites", International Journal of Information Management, Vol. 36, pp. 686-699, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2016.03.013
- D. Constant, S. Kiesler, L. Sproull, "What's Mine Is Ours, or Is It? A Study of Attitudes about Information Sharing.", Information Systems Research, Vol. 5, Issue. 4, pp. 400-421, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.5.4.400
- Jong-Gi Kim, Jin-Sung Kim, "The Effect of Relationship Building through SNS on an Individual's Intention to Share Information", Informatization Policy, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 57-84, 2012.
- H. L. Yang, C. Y. Lai, "Understanding knowledge-sharing behaviour in Wikipedia", Behaviour and Information Technology, Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 131-142, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1080/0144929X.2010.516019
- Jin-Woo Han, Chul-Woo Yoo, Youung-Chan Choi, "The Factors to Promote Internet Knowledge Sharing: Based on Social Capital Theory and Self-Expression Concept", Agricultural Extension & Rural Development, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 153-180, 2009.
- C. Fornell, D. F. Larcker, "Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 18, pp. 39-50, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- J. C. Nunnally, Psychometric Theory. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 1978.