- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Mediating Effect of Self-esteem between School Violence Victimization and Happiness of Adolescents
초·중·고 학생들의 학교폭력 피해경험이 행복감에 미치는 영향: 자아존중감의 매개효과
- Lee, Chang-Seek (Dept. of Child and Adolescent Welfare) ;
- Park, Ji-Young (Dept. of Child and Elderly Welfare) ;
- Jang, Ha-Young (Dept. of Lifelong Education)
- Received : 2016.11.09
- Accepted : 2017.01.20
- Published : 2017.01.28
This study aimed to investigate the mediating effect of self-esteem between school violence victimization and happiness of adolescents. For this study, 1274 adolescents were surveyed at D city of Korea from April to May in 2016. Main results of this study were as follows. First, it was found out that school violence victimization was significantly different depending on gender, school level, academic achievement. And self-esteem was significantly different depending on gender, school level, family type, income level, academic achievement. Also their happiness was significantly different depending on gender, school level, income level, academic achievement. Second, school violence victimization and self-esteem were negatively correlated. And school violence victimization and their happiness were negatively correlated. Third, self-esteem was partially mediated for elementary, middle school students, but perfectly mediated for high school students between school violence victimization and happiness of adolescents. Lastly, policy implications for the students with lower happiness due to school violence victimization were suggested.
School violence victimization;Self-esteem;Happiness;Adolescents;Mediating effect
- Law on Prevention and Countermeasures for School Violence, www.law.go.kr, 2015.
- J. Y. Moon, "A Single case study on effects of happiness enhancement program on an abused child's depression and Self-esteem", Unpublished Master's Dissertation, Gongju National University of Education, 2015.
- J. H. Park, "Prevalence and survey issues of school violence in Korea and foreign countries", Teachers and Education, Vol. 30, No. 1, pp.17-38, 2012.
- M. Akiba, & G. K. LeTendre, & D. P. Baker, & G. Brian, "Student victimization: National and school system effects on school violence in 37 nations", American Educational Research Journal, Vol. 39, No. 4, pp.829-854, 2002. https://doi.org/10.3102/00028312039004829
- K. S. Lee, "Development of expressive activity program for prevention of student violence in elementary school", Korean Society For The Study Of Physical Education, Vol. 19, No.3 , pp.55-65, 2014.
- Baker and Siryk.(1984). Early predictors of adolescent aggression and adult violence. Violence and Victioms, Vol. 4, pp. 79-100.
- M. O. Choi, "The study of comparing the factors affecting male and female happiness - focusing on the city of Busan", Journal of Social Sciences, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp.19-40, 2011.
- R. Veenhoven, "Developments in satisfaction research", Social Indicators Research, Vol. 37, pp.1-46, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00300268
- Youth Values International Comparison of Korea, China and Japan, www.mogef.go.kr/korea/view/news/news03_01.jsp, 2011.
- S. Y. Park, & H. G. Lee, "Determinants of subjective well-being among Korean adolescents", The Korean Journal Of Stress Research, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp.73-84, 2013.
- H. J. Lee, & K. S. Kim, & K. H. Kim, & G. W. Nam, & K. W. Min, & S. S. Lee, & C. H. Jeong, & S. Y. Park, "Relationship between socio-demographic characteristics, health and internet addiction among the Korean Adolescents and their smoking behaviors", The Journal of The Korea Institute of Electronic Communication Sciences, Vol. 8, No. 5, pp. 695-702, 2013. https://doi.org/10.13067/JKIECS.2013.8.5.695
- J. I. Kim, & B. R. Choi, "Convergence study on emotional labor, stress response and turnover intention of call-center workere", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp.139-146, 2015.
- H. Y. Koo, & H. S. Park, & E. H. Jang, "Satisfaction with life and its predictors of Korean adolescents", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 36, No. 1, pp.151-158, 2006. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.1.151
- H. W. Hwang, "A research on protective factors influencing on adolescents' quality of life", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp.1-26, 2011.
- S. D. Han, "A study on the influence, which has affect on the happiness, of self elasticity and the social support felt by children", The Journal of Cultural Exchange, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 111-134, 2012.
- S. W. Kwon, & E. H. Lee, & I. H. Song, "A study on adolescent happiness: application of the adolescent resilience model", Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp.39-72, 2012.
- U. Bronfenhrenner, "The ecology of human development: Experiments by nature and design", Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1979.
- E. M. Sung, & G. H. Kim, "The structural relationships analysis among happiness, personal traits, and environmental traits of adolescents using the structural equation modeling", Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp.177-202, 2013.
- A. B. Klomek, & F. Marrocco, & M. Kleinman, & I. S. Schonfeld, & M. S. Gould, "Peer victimization, depression, and suicidality in adolescents", Suicide Life-Threatening Behavior, Vol. 38, pp.166-180, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1521/suli.2008.38.2.166
- C. Mills, & S. Guerin, & F. Lynch, & I. Daly, & C. Fitzpatrick, "The Relationship between bullying, depression and suicidal thoughts/behaviour in Irish adolescents", Irish Journal of Psychological Medicine, Vol. 21, pp.112-116, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0790966700008521
- E. Roland, "Bullying, depressive symptoms and suicidal thoughts", Educational Research, Vol. 44, pp.55-67, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1080/00131880110107351
- G. M. Kim, & Y. S. Yum, & Y. M. Park, "Impact of school violence on psychological well-being: Korean students' happiness and suicidal impulse", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp.236-247, 2013.
- M. S. Yoon, & H. J. Cho, "Effects of violence experience type on adolescent's depression, alcohol use", Mental Health & Social Work, Vol. , No. 29, pp.295-329, 2008.
- C. J. Lee, & G. J. Gwak, "Self-concept & social support according to bullying types", The korean Journal Of Developmental Psychology, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp.65-80, 2000.
- J. H. Park, "An understanding of school bullying (Wangtta): developmental trend and relation to mental health", Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp.247-272, 2007.
- S. O. Shin, & J. Park, "Converged association between suicidal ideation and neighborhood environment among some adolescents", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp.271-277, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.271
- S. I. Han, & H. M. Yoon, "Difference in early adolescent's self-esteem, assertive behavior and parent-child communication by bullying groups", Journal of Human Science, Vol. 14, No. 1 pp.31-46, 2010.
- G. K. Natvig, & G. Albrektsen, & U. Qvarnstrom, "School-related stress experience as a risk factor for bullying behavior", Journal of Youth and Adolescence, Vol. 30, No. 5, pp.561-575, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1010448604838
- V. S. Baste, & J. V. Gadkari, "Study of stress, self-esteem and depression in medical students and effect of music on perceived stress", Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, Vol. 58, No. 3, pp.296-299, 2014.
- E. Diener, "Subjective well-being", Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 95, No. 3, pp.542-575, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.95.3.542
- Y. H. Kang, "Exploring the constructs of school happiness of elementary students", The Korean Journal of Elementary Counseling, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp.219-235, 2012.
- H. W. Cho, "Influence of self-esteem, social support, health of the rural elderly upon life satisfaction-Centering on Sancheong-gun, Gyungsangnam-do-", Unpublished Master's Dissertation, Presbyterian Theological University, 2007.
- K. S. Han, & J. P. Kim, "Impact of self-esteem of the elderly who participate in sport for all on their psychological happiness and life satisfaction", Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, Vol., No. 41, pp.521-531, 2010.
- E. H. Jeon, "The effects of family support recognized by elderly on one's psychological well-being", Unpublished Master's Dissertation, Kyungseong University, 2008.
- J. Y. Cho, & I. S. Oh, "The relationship between type of school violence experience, changes in experience, and emotional factors", Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp.301-323, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14816/sky.2014.25.4.301
- Rosenberg, M. Society and Adolescent Self-image. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1965.
- E. K. Suh, & J. S. Koo, "A concise Measure of subjective well-being(COMOSWB): scale development and validation", Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, Vol. 25, No.1, pp.95-113, 2011.
- R. M. Baron, D. A. Kenny, "The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 51, No. 6, pp.1173-1183, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2063
- M. E. Sobel, "Asymptotic intervals for indirect effects in structural equations models", In S. Leinhart(ed), Sociological Methodology, pp.290-312, San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1982.
- H. J. Jeon, "The ecological characteristics of adolescents according to school violence offense experience and victimization experience", Unpublished Master's Dissertation, Donga University, 2013.
- D. G. Go, & K. M. Kim, "A study on actual state and influencing factors of internet addiction in upper class of elementary school children: according to school year, gender and physical activity barriers", Journal of Elementary Education, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp.281-295, 2009.
- Y. M. Lim, "Exploration of variables effecting on poor adolescents' self-resilience and self-esteem: focusing on parents' child-rearing attitudes and the quality of peer and teacher relationships", Journal of Korean Home Economics Education Association, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp.147-167, 2013.
- Y. H. Ju, "The impact of discrimination experience of persons with developmental disability on self-esteem: focusing on the mediating effect of life satisfaction and the moderating effect of earned income", Unpublished Master's Dissertation, Ewha Womans University, 2014.
- S. M. Park, & M. C. Gang, & E. H. Kim, "Self-esteem change in adolescents: latent state-trait model", Korean Journal Of Counseling And Psychotherapy, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp.63-84, 2015.