- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Social Support, Ego-resiliency and Stress Coping Strategies of School-Dropout Adolescents
학업중단 청소년의 사회적지지, 자아탄력성과 스트레스 대처방식 연구
- Kim, Hyun-ji (Dept. of Counseling, Hannam University) ;
- Yang, Myong-Suk (Dept. of Counseling, Hannam University)
- Received : 2016.11.01
- Accepted : 2017.01.20
- Published : 2017.01.28
This study investigated relative explanation of social support, ego-resiliency and stress coping strategies to help adaptive coping style of school-dropout adolescents under stress situation. To this end, 101 school-dropout adolescents were surveyed by visiting and requesting the outofschool youth supporting project, youth detention center, and adolescent protective and treatment facilities in Daejeon, Cheongnam, and Chungbuk. As analysis methods, descriptive statistical analysis, pearson's correlation, and hierarchical analysis were conducted and the research results are as follows. First, stress coping strategies showed positive relationship with social support and ego-resiliency. Second, a variable that showed greater explanation power for stress coping strategies was the environmental variable, the social support. Third, it was identified that there was greater explanation power when the environmental variable, the social support, and the personal variable, the ego-resiliency, were put in at the same time for stress coping strategies. According to the result, this study implies that schools, community, national policy effort and systemetic approach are required as well as improvement of personal coping capabilities in order to overcome difficulties school-dropout adolescents face.
School-Dropout Adolescent;School-Dropout Adolescent Policy;Social Support;Ego-resiliency;Stress Coping Strategies
- Yun Cheol-Gyeong, Cho Ein-Jae, Kim Gang-Ho, Yu Seong-Nyeol, Kim Tae-Hwa, Son Hui-Jeong. "Panel survey of school dropouts and policy support for school dropouts III." National Youth Policy Institute, pp. 1-484, 2015.
- Khu Bon-Yong, Yoo Jae-Min, "Neural network model of risk and protective factors on school drop out." Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 133-146. 2003.
- Kim Ji-Hye, Ahn Chi-Min, "Runaway youth's school dropout : Determinants and Policy Implications." Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 133-157. 2006.
- Ko Kee-Hong, "The problem of school dropout and intervention of counseling." Journal of Student Guidance, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 117-136. 2003.
- Keum Myoung-Ja, "Comprehensive understanding about drop-out adolescents in Korea." Korean Psychological Association, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 299-317. 2008.
- Sung Yun-Sook, "A study of the process of adolescents' dropout from school and social adaptation." Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 295-343. 2005.
- "Korean Education Statistics Service, Ststistical Published Materials, Issue Statistics", http://kess.kedi.re.kr/content/issue (October 14, 2016).
- Kim Young-Hee, Huh Chul-Soo, "Research trends on secondary school dropouts: 1991-2011." Korean Journal of Counseling, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp.1013-1028. 2012. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.13.2.201204.1013
- Nam Ki-Gon, "The economic effect of high School dropout in Korea." Sogang Economic Papers, Vol. 40, No. 3, pp. 63-94. 2011.
- Leem Geun-Chang, "A study of factors related with adaptability after the school dropout for juvenile dropouts." Ma. dissertation, Chungnam National University, 2003.
- Jung Min-Sun, Jang Ji-Young, Choi Hee-Cheol, "The relation between social support and adolescents' norm maladjustment: Moderating effect of the intention of school dropout." The Korea Journal of Counseling, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 1691-1706. 2010. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.11.4.201012.1691
- Kim Oak-Youb, Lee Yeon-Sook, Won Yoo-Mi, "An analysis into perception and risk and protective factors associated with the dropout of study of juveniles in Jeollabuk-Do." The Korea Journal of Counseling, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 725-741. 2004.
- Hong Yeong-Su, Jeon Seon-Yeong, "The effects of life stress and depression for adolescent suicidal ideation." Korean Journal of Clinical Social Work, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 249-272, 2005.
- Compas, Bruce E., "Psychobiological processes of stress and coping." Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, Vol. 1094, No. 1, pp. 226-234, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1196/annals.1376.024
- Jeon Ji-Gyeong, "Development and validation of the resilience scale for pre-marital couple relationship." Ph.D. dissertation, Hannam University, 2011.
- Eccles, Jacquelynne S., Midgley, Carol., Wigfield, Allan., & Mac Iver, Douglas., "Development during adolescence: The impact of stage-environment fit on young adolescents' experiences in schools and in families." American psychologist, Vol. 48, No. 2, pp.90-101, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.48.2.90
- Park Hyun-Sun, "The psychosocial adjustment of high-risk adolescents in poverty." Korean Journal of Social Welfare, Vol. 37, No. 37, pp. 195-216. 1999.
- Block Jeanne Humphrey., & Block, J., "The role of ego-control and ego-resiliency in the organization of behavior. In W. A. Collins (Ed.)." The Minnesota Symposia on Child Psychology, Vol. 13, No. 37, pp. 39-101. 1980.
- Lee Yoon-Joo, "The effects of suicidal risk factors on suicidal behavior and the moderating effect of ego resiliency." The Korea Journal of Counseling, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 659-673, 2008. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.9.2.200806.659
- Philippe Frederick L., Laventure Samuel., & Beaulieu-Pelletier Genevieve., Lecours Serge., & Lekes Natasha, "Ego-resiliency as a mediator between childhood trauma and psychological symptoms." Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, Vol. 30, No. 6, pp. 583, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1521/jscp.2011.30.6.583
- Seo Seok-Nam, Lee Sang-Goo, Lim Sang-Ho, "The effect of positive parenting style, self-efficacy, stress, and depression on school adjustment of adolescents." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10 No. 8, pp. 327-333, 2012.
- Kim Yun-Jeong, Lee Chang-Seek, "The mediating effect of hope between stress and suicidal ideation of adolescent." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12 No. 6, pp. 539-547, 2014.
- Leem Geun-Chang, "A study of factors related with adaptability after the school dropout for juvenile dropouts". Ma. dissertation, Chungnam National University, 2003.
- Jang Gyeong-Mun, "The relations of ego-resiliency, stress coping style, and psychological growth environment." Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 143-161. 2003.
- Compas, Bruce E., "Coping with stress during childhood and adolescence." Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 101, No. 3, pp. 393-403. 1987. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.101.3.393
- Kwon Jae-Hwan, Lee Eun-Hee, "The effects of impulsivity, parent's child-rearing attitude, parentadolescent communication, and self-control on adolescent problem behavior." Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 325-351. 2006.
- Lee Ji-Hye, "The mediating effects of self-efficacy on the relationship between parent-adolescent communication and stress coping behavior." Ma. dissertation, Korea University, 2016.
- Park Yeong-Ae, "The mediating effects of ego-resiliency, social support in the relation between stress and school adjustment: With its focus on adolescents living in orphanages". Ma. dissertation, Kyungpook National University, 2010.
- Oh Eun-Gyeong, "The difference among social support, career preparation behavior, social exclusion and depression by types of youth Who Are dropouts of school." Korea Institute of Youth Facility & Environment, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 65-80, 2014.
- Lee Ji-Sook, "A study on the relationships between impulsivity, aspects of social support, and suicidal ideation among middle school students: Focus on the moderating effect of social support." Journal of Future Oriented Youth Society, Vol.10 No.3 pp. 1-22, 2013.
- Kim Jin-A, "The influence of academic stress upon emotional problems in middle school students: The mediating effect of ego-resilience." The Korea Journal of Counseling, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 359-377, 2015.
- WI Jong-Hee, "An analysis of structural relations among children's perceived family strength, self-resilience, social support, stress-coping behavior, and psychological well-being." Ph.D. dissertation, Dong-A University, 2012.
- Glozah Franklin N., & Pevalin David J., "Social support, stress, health, and academic success in Ghanaian adolescents: A path analysis." Journal of Adolescence, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 451-460, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2014.03.010
- Cho A-Mi, Lee Jin-Sook, "A qualitative study on life and needs of school drop out youths." Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 21 No. 7, pp. 145-170, 2014.
- Shin Hyeon-Sook, Khu Bon-yong, "Stress coping and its relationship to adjustment in Korean adolescents." The Korea Journal of Youth Counseling, Vol. 9, pp. 189-225. 2001.
- Yi Yeon-Duk, Hwang Gi-Chul, "The effects of time management behavioral therapy program on self-esteem, stress coping of school maladjusted adolescents." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11 No. 10, pp. 517-526, 2013.
- http://www.gotoschool.re.kr. september 5, 2016.
- Park Jee-Won. "A study to development a scale of social support." Ph.D. dissertation, Yonsei University, 1985.
- Yoon Hye-Jung, "A perception of everyday stress and social network support in adolescence." Ma. dissertation, Seoul University, 1993.
- Yoo Sung-Kyung, Shim Hae-Woo, "Psychological protective factors in resilient adolescents in Korea." The Korean Journal of Educational Psycholgy, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 189-206. 2002.
- Kim Jung-Hee, "Relations of perceived stress, cognitive set , and coping behaviors to depressidn." Ph.D. dissertation, Seoul National University, 1987.
- Kim Yeo-Jin, "The relationships among communication in parent-child, stress coping and adolescents' school adjustment." Ma. dissertation, Seoul Women's University, 2006.
- Lee Hu-Seung, "The influences of perceived social supports and ego-resilience on stress perception of high school students." Ma. dissertation, Yonsei University, 2004.
- Song Woon-Yoong, Kwak Soo-Ran, "A research on protection factors influencing on teenager"s school adaptation." Family and Culture, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 107-129. 2006.
- Min G-rea, "The relationship between perceived social support, ego-resilience and stress coping strategies of middle school students." Ma. dissertation, Gachon University, 2012.
- Kim Eun-Mi, "A study on the differences of risk assessment tool and personality assessment inventory by recidivism types of juvenile delinquents." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 119-128, 2014.
- Park Jung-Hyun, "The effect of adolescent's school adjustment on depression in the transition period : the moderating effects of parental support, parental monitoring, and peer support." Ma. dissertation, Catholic University, 2013.
- Son Chung-Ki, Bae Eun-Ja, Kim Young-Tae, "An analysis study on family and social-environmental factors of adolescents school dropout." Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 13, No. 6, pp. 2504-2513, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.6.2504
- Lee Sung, "The relationship of psychological environment, problem-solving, ego-resiliency and psychosocial adjustment of school dropout juvenile delinquent." Ma. dissertation, Chonnam National University, 2006.
- An Yun-A, "The relationship between middle shcool student's ego-resilience, stress and stress coping." Ma. dissertation, Hannam University, 2011.
- Jang Hwee-Sook, "Life-span developmental psychology." pp. 268-272, Pakyoungsa ; Seoul, 2015.
- Jeon Ji-Kyung, Rhee Kyung-Ah, Seo In-Doug, "The Effects of family strength on the ethnical identity of third culture adolescents-focusing on the medication effects of self-esteem." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 8, pp. 93-104, 2016.
- Jung Kyung-A, Kim Bong-Whan, "The differences of the ego-resilience and disagreement in parents' rearing attitude according to the levels of the smartphone addiction of adolescents." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 299-308, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.2.299
- Park Sung-Joo, "The effects of self-resilience and social support on school adjustment of dormitory high school students adaptation in convergence age." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 287-293, 2016.
- Kim Bum-Goo, "An analysis of research trends in dropout of adolescents." Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 315-337. 2012.
- Koh Seung-Hee, "Convergent momentum strategy in the Korean stock market", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 127-132, 2015.
- Choi Hye-Jung, Back Soon-Gi, "A study on depressive disposition by convergence approach of leisure history and family situation in elderly women", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 295-302, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.295