- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Comparing the Mobile-phone Overuse by Gender and School Levels
성별과 학교급에 따른 휴대전화 과다사용의 차이
- Yoon, Mi-Sun (Dep. of Teaching Education, Dankook University)
- 윤미선 (단국대학교 교직교육과)
- Received : 2016.11.29
- Accepted : 2017.01.20
- Published : 2017.01.28
The purpose of this study is to investigate the differences of the mobile phone overuse by gender and school levels. For this study, 565 middle and high school students in Gyeonggi province answered the self-report survey, 253 students were extracted as an overuse group, and the data were analyzed by one-way MANOVA. The results showed that 'daily disturbance' was a common major factor in gender and school level difference and 'school life disturbance', 'with draw' and 'tolerance' were added in school level difference. Based on the results, this study suggested users' characteristics such as gender and school level should be taken into prevention and treatment of mobile phone overuse.
Mobile phone;Cellular phone;Smartphone;Overuse;Overdependence;Addiction
- http://www.kcc.go.kr/user.do?mode=view&page=A02060400&dc=K02060400&boardId=1030&cp=2&boardSeq=36008 2016.10.14
- K. A. Jung, & B. W. Kim, "The differences of the ego-resilience and disagreement in parents' rearing attitude according to the levels of the smartphone addiction of adolescents." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol 13, No. 2, pp. 299-308, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.2.299
- M. Griffiths, "Internet addiction: Fact of fiction?." The Psychologist, Vol. 12, No. 5, pp. 246-251, 1999.
- J. Y. Park, G. A, Kim, & C. H. Hong, "The relationships between adolescents' cellular phone use motivation, peer relationships, emotional factors and cellular phone addictive use." The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 151-169, 2012. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2012.31.1.008
- H. J. Han & M. S. Yoon, "The impact of adolescents' stress on mobile-phone overuse according to grades and gender." Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 21-46, 2010.
- K. S. Lee, H. R. Ahn, & K. H. Lee, "Factors related to the overuse of mobile phone in elementary school students." Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 271-280, 2011. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2011.20.3.271
- C. S. Ko, "The effects of addictive cell-phone use of adolescence on mental health." Forum For Youth Culture, Vol. 30, pp. 8-36, 2012.
- H. G. Lee, "Exploration the predicting variables affecting the addictive mobile phone use." Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 133-157, 2008.
- H. G. Lee, "Exploration the predicting variables of the addictive mobile phone use of teenage: Comparison 20 and 30 ages. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 117-153, 2009.
- B. G. Kang, & H. J. Shin, "Risk and protective factors affecting mobile phone addiction in adolescence: With a special focus on the comparison by gender." Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 21, No. 8, pp. 213-241, 2014.
- M. S. Ha, "The latent classes depending on trajectories of mobile phone dependency and its relationship with psychological and emotional characteristics amongst adolescence." Asian Journal of Education, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 313-336, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15753/aje.2014.15.4.013
- K. H. Hwang, Y. S. Yoo, & O. H. Cho, "Smartphone overuse and upper extremity pain, anxiety, depression and interpersonal relationships among college students." Journal of the Korean Contents Association, Vol. 12, No. 10, pp. 365-375, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.10.365
- H. S. Yoo, & K. O. Min, "Effect of mental health, academic self efficacy, school life adjustment on cellular phone addiction of elementary." The Journal of Child Education, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 213-227, 2015.
- H. S. Choi, H. K. Lee, & J. C. Ha, "The influence of smartphone addiction on mental health, campus life and personal relations-Focusing on K university students." Journal of the Koeran Data & Information Science Society, Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 1005-1015, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2012.23.5.1005
- B. N. Kim, "Effects of smart-phone addiction on youth's socially development." Journal of the Korean Contents Association, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 208-217, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.04.208
- C. M. Keum, "Research into smartphone addiction proneness and mental health problem for middle and high school student at Korea. Master thesis, Seoul National University. 2013.
- S. M. Jun, "Longitudinal relationship between overuse/addictive use of mobile phones and depression in adolescents: Adapting the autoregressive cross-lagged model and multiple group analysis across gender. Family and Environment Research, Vol. 52, No. 3, pp. 301-312, 2014. https://doi.org/10.6115/fer.2014.026
- S. M. Jun, "The complex effects of the purposes of using mobile phones on mobile phone dependency and depressive symptoms among elementary school students." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol 13, No. 10, pp. 471-482, 2015.
- S. M. Jun, "Longitudinal relationship between addictive use of mobile phones and learning activities for elementary school students: Multiple and complex group analysis across gender." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol 13, No. 8, pp.267-279, 2015.
- H. G. Baek & J. W. Yun, "A study on the relation between adolescent's smartphone addiction and psychological mindedness." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol 12, No. 7, pp. 389-400, 2014.
- H. G. Baek & T. H. Ha, "Study on the relationship between youth smartphone addiction and personality type." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol 14, No. 4, pp. 239-249, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.4.239
- H. J. Kang, "The relationships among smartphone use, mental health and physical health: Focusing on smartphone users' attitudes." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol 14, No. 3, pp.483-488, 2016.
- H. J. Kim & J. Y. Rha, "Is smartphone smart for everybody? A study of smartphone user typology." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol 13, No. 1, pp.37-47, 2015.
- Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning & National Information Society Agency. 2015 The survey on internet overdependence. Seoul: NIA, 2016.
- E. J. Oh, & S. H. Jang, "The relationship among social support, ego-identity, and cellular phone addiction in adolescents." Journal of Adolescent Welfare, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 25-44, 2009.
- H. Y. Koo, "Factors influencing cell phone addiction in middle school students by gender." Korean Parent Child Health Journal, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 60-70, 2012.
- H. J. Lee, M. S. Kim, H. K. Son, S. H. Ahn, J. S. Kim, & Y. H. Kim, "Discriminating power of socio-demographic and psychological variables on addictive use of cellular phones among middle school students." Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 37, No. 6, pp. 957-965, 2007. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.6.957
- S. C. Park, & K. I. Baik, "Characteristics of MMPI of adolescent cellular phone addicts." Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, Vol. 42, No. 9, pp. 135-147, 2004.
- S. H. Han, & S. H. Lee, "A survey on relationships between mobile-phone addiction and emotional/behavioral problems in middle school students." The Journal of Special Children Education, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 139-157, 2010. https://doi.org/10.21075/kacsn.2010.12.3.139
- M. J. Gwag, "The Characteristics of trend and addictive inclination in mobile phone use among adolescents." Master thesis, Chungbuk National University, 2008.
- S. H. Choi, "The Relations among use of Internet and cellular phone, self-control and academic achievement with middle school students. Master thesis, Pukyong National University, 2008.
- H. J. Han & M. S. Yoon, "Influences of the stressors and ego-resilience on adolescents' mobile phone overuse." Journal of Research in Education, Vol. 34, pp. 81-100, 2009.
- N. S. Kim, & K. E. Lee, "Effects of self-control and life stress on smart phone addiction of university students." Journal of the Korea Society of Health Informatics and Statistics, Vol. 37, No. 2, pp. 72-83, 2012.
- K. S. Young, "Caught in the Net: How to recognize the signs of internet addiction and a winning strategy for recovery." New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons, 1998.
- B. M. Choi, "A study on the comparison of the patterns of mobile phone usage amongst middle school and high schools students." Korean Public Health Research, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 398-417, 2002.
- The Effects of Over-Parenting Behavior and Peer-Alienation on Adolescents’ School Adjustment: The Mediating of Smartphone Dependency and Focus on Multi Group Analysis between Boys and Girls vol.56, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.6115/fer.2018.011