- Volume 15 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Korean Women's Response Type and Characteristics on Unwanted Sexual Request
원하지 않은 성관계 요구에 대한 한국 여대생의 반응 유형 및 특성
- Cho, Jung-Hwa (Konyang University, Department of Counseling and Psychotherapy) ;
- Song, Wonyoung (Konyang University, Department of Counseling and Psychotherapy)
- Received : 2017.01.02
- Accepted : 2017.02.20
- Published : 2017.02.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the typology of response to unwanted sexual request, and find the characteristics according to the types. For this purpose, 332 college female students were surveyed. As a results, two group were identified through cluster analysis: assertive type and compliant type. Compliant type had more sexual experiences, consensual unwanted sex, reasons for sexual compliance. Furthermore, compliant type had more unstable attachment, rejection sensitivity, and loneliness. Implications related with prevention and education program for the high risk compliant group were discussed and ideas for health, education, psychological experts were suggested.
- B. Krahe', R. Scheinberger-Olwig, & S. Koplin (2000). "Ambiguous communication of sexual intentions as a risk marker of sexual aggression". Sex Roles, 42, pp. 313-337 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007080303569
- R. L. Shotland, & B. A. Hunter (1995). "Women's Token Resistant and Compliant sexual Behaviors are Related to Uncertain Sexual Intentions and Rape". Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 21, pp. 226-236. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167295213004
- E. A. Impett, & L. A. Peplau (2003). "Sexual compliance: gender, motivational, and relationship perspectives". The Journal of Sex Research, 40(1), pp. 87-100. https://doi.org/10.1080/00224490309552169
- L. Y. Bay-Cheng, & R. K. Eliseo-Arras, (2008). "The Making of Unwanted Sex: Gendered and Neoliberal Norms in College Women's Unwanted Sexual Experiences". Journal of Sex Research, 45(4), pp. 386-397. 8 https://doi.org/10.1080/00224490802398381
- Reneau, S. E., & Muehlenhard, C. L. (2007). "Unwanted consensual sexual activity in heterosexual dating relationships". Manuscript submitted for publication.
- L. F. O'Sullivan, S. Hoffman, A. Harrison, & C. Dolezal (2006). "Men, multiple sexual partners, and young adults'sexual relationships: understanding the role of gender in the study of risk". Journal of Urban Health, 83(4), pp. 695-708. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11524-006-9062-5
- P. L. Erickson, and A. J. Rapkin. 1991. "Unwanted sexual experiences among middle and high school youth". Journal of Adolescent Health 12. 319 https://doi.org/10.1016/0197-0070(91)90007-9
- Testa, Jennifer, Livingstone, Kenneth & Leonard, (2003). "Women's substance use and experiences of intimate partner violence: a longitudinal investigation among a community sampl"e. Addictive Behavior 28(9) 1649-64 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2003.08.040
- S. M. Park, W. Song (2012). "The Effects of Rape Myth and Tolerance towards Violence on Dating to the Sexual Assertiveness in College Women". The Korean Journal of Woman Psychology. Vol. 17. No. 2, 265-280. https://doi.org/10.18205/kpa.2012.17.2.010
- E. J. Lee (2015). "Sexual Self-Determination Rights in Psychological Studies". The Korean Journal of Woman Psychology. Vol 20, No. 3. 427-441
- J. E. Lee & E. S. Lee. (2005) "The Explanatory Models of Dating Violence and Victimization With Dating Partners Among College Students". The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy. Vol. 17, No. 2 419-436
- J. M. Patricia, Q. Kathryn, L. H. Lisa, W. Laura, M. G. Diane, R. G. Pamela (1997). "Sexual assertiveness scale for women: Development and validation". Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 73(4), 790-804. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2060
- M. H. Choi (2004). "Factors influencing sexual assertiveness among women college students". Yonsei University Master's Degree Dissertation.
- O, S. Yoo (2004). "Sexual Interactions between Dating Couple -Saying "yes", but thinking 'no'". paper presented at 2004 Korean Health Psychological Association.
- L. F. O'Sullivan, & E. S. Byers (1996). "Gender differences in responses to discrepancies in desired level of sexual intimacy". Journal of Psychology and Human Sexuality, 8, 49-67. https://doi.org/10.1300/J056v08n01_04
- O. S. Yoo, P. Park, (2004). "An Explanatory Model of Unwanted Sexual Compliance with Dating Partners among College Students". The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy. Vol. 16, No. 4, 793-812
- S. Y. Son (2010). "The Relationship between Adult Attachment and consent to unwanted sex: The mediating effects of self-esteem and sexual assertiveness". Ewha University, Master's degree Dissertation
- G. Downey, & S. Feldman (1996). "The implications of rejection sensitivity for intimate relationships". Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 70, pp. 1327-1343. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.117
- B. D. Lee (2000). "Adult attachment and Partner Relationship Satisfaction". Korea University, Master's degree Dissertation.
- R. C. Fraley, N. G. Waller, & K. A. Brennan (2000). "An item-response theory analysis of self-report measures of adult attachment". Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 78, 350-365. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1680
- S. H. Kim (2004). "The Explanatory Models of Dating Violence and Victimization With Dating Partners Among College Students". Seoul National University. Doctoral Dissertation.
- K. A. Brennan, C. L. Clark, & P. R. Shaver (1998). "Self-report measurement of adult attachment: An integrative overview". In J. A. Simpson & W. S. Rholes(Eds.), Attachment theory and close relationships(pp. 46-76) New York: Guilford Press.
- D. Russell, L. A. Peplau, & M. L. Ferguson (1978). "Developing a measure of Loneliness". Journal of Personality Assessment, 42, 290-294 https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa4203_11
- D. Russell, L. A. Peplau, & C. E. Cutrona (1980). "The Revised UCLA Loneliness Scale: Concurrent and discriminate validity evidence". Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 39, 472-480 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1242
- K. H. Kim, & J, H, Kim (1989). "Korea UCLA Loneliness Scale". Journal of Student Guidance. 16, 13-30.
- O. S. Kim (1997). "The effects of social support on loneliness and life satisfaction in elderly Korean immigrants". The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing. Vol. 10, No. 2. 311-321.
- E. S. Kim, W. K. Woo (2015). "The Mediating Effects of Rejection Sensitivity in the Relationship between Insecure Attachment and Consensual Unwanted Sex of Female College Students". paper presented at 2015 Korean Psychological Association Annual Report. 310.
- N. R. Sin, W. Song (2015). "Comprehensive Understanding of the Double-sidedness of Sexual Fantasy: focused on disability, crime and treatment". Journal of Digital Convergence. 14(1), 339-351. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.1.339