- Volume 33 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Quality Characteristics of White Bread Made with Makgeolli Sourdough
막걸리 사워도우로 제조한 식빵의 품질특성
- Received : 2016.12.22
- Accepted : 2017.02.16
- Published : 2017.02.28
Purpose: This study developed sourdough bread according to consumers' preferencesby shortening the sourdough fermentation process time through addition of makgeolli to sourdough. Methods: Fermentation time was measured by adding makgeolli and water to wheat flour. Results: Fermentation time was shorter than that of starter made with only water and flour, with 5 hours of primary fermentation and 3 hours of secondary fermentation. The optimum mixing ratio was 400 g of flour, 192 mL of water, and 48 mL of makgeolli. An increase in makgeolli sourdough content decreased crude protein and moisture contents of white bread. Crude fat and ash contents increased, and volume of bread was decreased as sourdough increased. The height of bread prepared with makgeolli sourdough was lower than that of bread without makgeolli sourdough. According to the results of the texture measurement, hardness, gumminess, and chewiness of sourdough group were lower as the addition of sourdough increased. Addition of makgeolli sourdough to white bread resulted in decreased lightness, but increased yellowness of white bread. Preparation of white bread with addition of sourdough improved taste and flavor compared to bread prepared only with wheat flour. Conclusion: The highest sensory preference was observed for white bread prepared whit 5 g of sourdough.
- AACC. 1995. Approved methods of the AACC. 9th ed. American Association of Cereal Chemists, Inc., St. Paul, MN, USA. Method 54-40.
- An HL, Lee KS. 2012. Effects of adding sourdough starter powder using Korean wheat flour on the quality of pan bread. Korean J Culin Res 18(4):183-198.
- An HL. 2005. A study on the properties of Korean sourdough bread using Korean wheat. Master's thesis. Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea. pp 18-20, pp 37-41.
- AOAC. 2005. Official methods of analysis. 18th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington DC, USA. Method 959.08.
- Bae SJ. 2010. Jeontong welbingju Makgeolli [Traditional wellbeing liquor, Makgeolli]. Hanam Publisher, Seoul, Korea. pp 11-15.
- Champomier-Verges MC, Maguin E, Mistou MY, Anglade P, Chich JF. 2002. Lactic acid bacteria and proteomics : Current knowledge and perspectives. J Chromatogr B 771(1-2):329-342. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1570-0232(01)00624-9
- Choi SH, Lee SJ. 2014. Quality characteristics of Korean wheat bread prepared with substitutions of naturally fermented rice starters. Korean J Culin Res 20(2):100-119.
- Heo SJ. 2014. Quality characteristics of sour starter and sourdough bread made of Korean whole wheat flour. Doctorate dissertation. Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea. pp 1-3.
- Jeong JW, Park KJ. 2006. Quality characteristics of loaf bread added with Takju powder. Korean J Food Sci Technol 38(1):52-58.
- Kang ES. 2004. Studies on the characteristic changes of bread with sourdough at the different fermentation periods. Master's thesis. Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea. pp 2-5.
- Kulp K, Lorenz K. 2003. Handbook of dough fermentations. Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, NY, USA. pp 23-42.
- Lee HS, Kim SM. 2010. Quality characteristics of morning rolls added with Makgeolli lees extract powder. Korean J Food Cult 25(6):633-638.
- Lee JW. 2013. A study on quality characteristics of rice bread utilizing Nuruk fermentation liquid starter. Master's thesis. Kyonggi University, Gyeonggi, Korea. pp 33-41.
- Lee JY, Lee SK, Cho NJ, Park WJ. 2003. Development of the formula for natural bread -Making starter. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 32(8):1245-1252. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.8.1245
- Martinez-Anaya MA, Pitarch B, Bayarri P, Benedito de Barber C. 1990. Microflora of sourdoughs of wheat flour bread. X. Interactions between yeasts and lactic acid bacteria in wheat doughs and their effect on bread quality. Cereal Chem 67(1):85-91.
- Oh JH. 2012. A study of characteristics of morning roll with Makgeolli. Master's thesis. Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea. pp 34-41, pp 45-46.
- Park JH. 2013. A study on development and quality characteristics of Nuruk sourdough bread. Master's thesis. Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea. pp 45-52.
- Rocha JM, Malcata FX. 2012. Microbiological profile of maize rye flours, and sourdough used for the manufacture of traditional Portuguese bread. Food Microbiol 31(1):72-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2012.01.008
- Sanz-Penella JM, Tamayo-Ramos JA, Haros M. 2012. Application of bifidobacteria as starter culture in whole wheat sourdough breadmaking. Food Bioprocess Technol 5(6):2370-2380. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11947-011-0547-1
- Seo EO, Choi EO, Yun YS, Chung BW. 2008. Effects of ethanol on the characteristics of white bread containing lotus root powder. J East Asian Soc Diet Life 18(1):64-71.
- Spicher G. 1995. Preparation of stable sourdoughs and sourdough starters by drying and freeze-drying. In: Frozen and refrigerated doughs and batters. Kulp K, Lorenz K, Brummer J (eds.). American Association of Cereal Chemists, Inc., St. Paul, MN, USA.
- Sung JH, Han MJ. 2008. Quality characteristics of Jeungpyun manufactured by ginseng Makgeolli. Korean J Food Cook Sci 24(6):837-848.
- Yondom F, Ozilgen M, Bozoglu TF. 1992. Kinetic aspects of leavening with mixed culture of Lactobacillus plantarum and Saccharomyces cerevisie. Lebensm-Wiss Technol 25(2):162-167.
- Yoon SJ. 2003. Quality characteristics of Jeungpyun with different ration of Makkulli leaven to water. Korean J Soc Food Cook Sci 19(1):11-16.
- Quality Properties of Whole Wheat Flour Sourdough Bread Using Sweet Persimmon Starter vol.34, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2018.34.3.263