- Volume 8 Issue 1
To increase the bioavailability of Opuntia humifusa, O. humifusa was fermented using L. plantarum, and the characteristics of the fermented extract were confirmed. The characteristics of fermented extracts were investigated through viscosity, total polyphenol content, amino acid, antibacterial activity, cytokine analysis and zymography. The viscosity decreased by half and vitamin C remained almost unchanged during fermentation. Total polyphenols, most amino acids, total amino acids and major minerals were increased by fermentation. There was no cytotoxicity, and the activity of cytokines and MMP-9 in inflammation was inhibited. The inhibitory effect on inflammation and tissue destruction was found to be inhibited in L. plantarum fermentation extracts compared to hot water extracts. These results are expected to be the basis for the development of materials that enhance the functionality of L. plantarum-fermented O. humifusa extract.
- Lee KS, et al., "Antimicrobial effect of the extracts of cactus Chounnyouncho (Opuntia humifusa) against food borne pathogens", J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 33, 1268-1272, 2004. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.8.1268
- Kim MJ, "Physicochemical characteristics of Jeungpyun by different addition ratios of prickly pear powder during storage" MS thesis, Sungshin Women''s University, Seoul, Korea, 2008.
- Kwon DK, Song YJ, "Effect of Opuntia humifusa supplementation on endurance exercise performance in rats fed a high-fat diet" J Exer Nutr Biochem 9, 183-188, 2005.
- Kim TJ, "Illustrated guide to Korean flora" Seoul National University Press, Seoul, Korea. 140-141, 1996.
- Askar A, El-Smamhy SK, "Chemical composition of prickly pear fruit", Dtsch. Lebensm-Rundsch. 77: 279-281, 1981.
- Cho IK, et al., "Analysis of components in the parts of Opuntia ficus indica from Shinan Korea", Korean J Food Preserv 16, 742-746, 2009.
- Lee KS, et al., "Antioxidative effect of the fractions extracted from a cactus Cheonnyuncho (Opuntia humifusa). Korean J Food Sci Technol 37: 474-478, 2005.
- Yoon BR, et al., "Antioxidant effect of hot water and ethanol extracts from Cheonnyuncho (Opuntia humifusa) on reactive oxygen species (ROS) production in 3T3-L1 adipocytes", Korean J Food Preserv 19, 443-450, 2012 https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2012.19.3.443
- Park MK, et al., "Hepatoprotective effect of Cheonnyuncho (Opuntia humifusa) extract in rats treated carbon tetrachloride", Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 37, 822-826, 2005.
- Kwon DK, Song YJ, "Effect of Opuntia humifusa supplementation on endurance exercise performance in rats fed a high-fat diet", Korean J. Exer. Nutr. 9, 183-188, 2005.
- Kim SY, "Studies on the separation of antioxidative and antimicrobial compounds of Korean perennial cactus Opuntia ficus-indica var, MS thesis, Hoseo University, Asan, Korea, 2003.
- Yoon JA, et al., "Nutrients contents in different parts of prickly pear (Opuntia humifusa) and possible anti-breast cancer effect", Korean J Food & Nutr 22, 485-491, 2009.
- Yoon JA, et al., "Total polyphenol and flavonoid of fruit extract of Opuntia humifusa and its inhibitory effect on the growth of MCF-7 human breast cancer cells", J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 1679-1684, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.12.1679
- Kim KT, et al., "Quality characteristics of bread made from domestic Korean wheat flour containing cactus Cheonnyuncho (Opuntia humifusa) powder", Korean J. Food Cookery Sci. 23, 461-468, 2007.
- Park SM, et al., "The effects of the supplementation of Opuntia humifusa water extracts and methyl sulfonyl methane on the laying productivity, egg quality and sensory characteristics", J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 39, 294-300, 2010. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.2.294
- Jeon BS, et al., "Fermented mushroom milk supplemented dietary fiber prevents the onset of obesity and hypertriglyceridemia in Otsuka Long-Evans Tokushima Fatty (OLETF) rats", Diabetes Obes Metab, 7, 709-715, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1463-1326.2005.00456.x
- Jung YM, et al., "Anti-inflammatory effects of Fusion-fermented Aralia continentalis Radix(fACR) on THP-1 cells", J Digital Convergence Vol.14, No.1, pp.353-361, 2015.
- Trinh TH, et al., "Bifidus fermentation increases hypolipidemic and hypoglycemic effects of red ginseng", J Microbiol Biotechnol, 17(7), 1127-1133, 2007.
- S. I. Lee, et al., "Effect of ginsengchungkukjang effects on lipid profiles of serum in alcohol administered diabetic-induced rats", J. Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr, 34, 1362-1366, 2005. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.9.1362
- Hasler CM, "Functional Foods: the western perspective", Nutr. Rev. 54, S6-10, 1996
- Kim JW, "Quality improvement of traditional doenjang prepared from meju fermented with pure microbes", MS thesis, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju, Korea, 2007
- Baek LM, et al., "Effect of Starter Cultures on the Fermentative Characteristics of Cheonggukjang", Korean J Food Sci Technol, 40(4), 400-405, 2008.
- Buckley ML, Ramji DP, "The influence of dysfunctional signaling and lipid homeostasis in mediating the inflammatory responses during atherosclerosis", Biochim Biophys Acta, 1852(7), 1498-1510, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbadis.2015.04.011
- Andrew CN, "Metalloproteinases expression in monocytes and macrophages and its relationship to atherosclerotic plaque instability", Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol, 28, 2108 -2114, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1161/ATVBAHA.108.173898