- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Environmental Effects on the Benthic Polychaete Communities Around the Power Plant Areas in the East Sea of Korea
동해 발전소 주변의 저서다모류 군집에 영향을 미치는 환경 요인
- Received : 2016.09.09
- Accepted : 2017.01.23
- Published : 2017.02.28
The East Sea is almost entirely composed of sandy facies, and the facies type is the major factor influencing benthic polychaete communities. There have been few studies of the effects of environmental factors on benthic polychaetes in thermal discharge areas consisting of different sediment types. This study identified the spatial distribution patterns based on the species composition and distribution of benthic polychaete communities, and the environmental factors influencing benthic polychaetes near power plants were investigated. The polychaete communities in the Uljin, Hupo, and Gori coastal areas near the power plants in the East Sea were seasonally investigated from August 2006 to February 2013. As a result, 283 species were collected. The dominant species were Spiophanes bombyx, Magelona japonica, Lumbrineris longifolia, and Sternaspis scutata. Spiophanes bombyx was the dominant species at Uljin and Hupo, but M. japonica was the dominant species at Gori. Two dominant species from the coastal waters of the East Sea, Lumbrineris longifolia and M. japonica, were rare in the power plant water intake or drainage areas. Cluster analysis was performed to divide the study area into groups by the total organic carbon content, sediment grain size and facies patterns. This study suggests that the community structures of polychaetes are more affected by the total organic carbon, grain size of sediment and facies than by disturbance from thermal discharge, which only affected the polychaete community near power plant drainage areas.
Coastal area of East Sea;Thermal discharge;Polychaete community;Environmental variable
- 해양수산부, 2007. 해양생태계보전을 위한 온배수 관리방안연구. pp. 24-26.
- 해양수산부, 2015. 해양배출 냉.온배수 실태조사 연구. pp. 78-88.
- Abe, H., G. Kobayashi and W. Sato-Okoshi, 2015. Impacts of the 2011 tsunami on the subtidal polychaete assemblage and the following reclonization in Onagawa Bay, northeastern Japan. Mar. Envrion. Res., 112: 86-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marenvres.2015.09.011
- Choi, J.W, J.G. Je, J.H. Lee and H.S. Lim, 2000. Distributional pattern of macrobenthic invertebrate on the shallow subtidal sandy bottoms near Kangrung, East coast of Korea. J. Korean Soc. Oceanogr., 5: 346-356.
- Choi, J.W. and C.H. Koh, 1988. The polychaete assemblages of the continental shelf off the southeastern coast of Korea. J. Korean Soc. Oceanogr., 23: 169-183.
- Clarke, K.R. and R.M. Warwick, 2001. Change in marine communities: An approach to statistical analyses and interpretation. Nat. Environ. Res. Council, U.K. P. 144.
- Dauvin, J.C., T. Ruellet, N. Desroy and A.L. Janson, 2007. The ecological quality status of the bay of Seine and the Seine estuary: use of biotic indices, Mar. Pollut. Bull., 55: 241-257. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2006.04.010
- Diaz, R.J., M. Solan and R.M. Valente, 2004. A review of approaches for classifying benthic habitats and evaluating habitat quality, J. Environ. Manage., 73: 165-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2004.06.004
- Durrett, C.W. and W.D. Pearson, 1975. Drift of macroinvertebrates in a channel carrying heated water from a power plant. Hydrobiologia, 46: 33-43. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00038725
- Folk, R.L. and W.C. Ward, 1957. Brazos river bar: A study in the significance of grain-size parameters. J. Sed. Pet., 267: 3-27.
- Gibbons, J.W. and R.R. Sharits, 1974. Thermal ecology. U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, Springfield, Virginia, p. 670.
- Jung, R.H., S.P. Yoon, Y.J. Kim, M.K. Choi and W.C. Lee, 2011. Spatio-temporal distributions of polychaete communities and benthic environmental characteristics of the harbor area of Busan port, Korea. The Sea J. Korean Soc. Oceanogr., 16(3): 125-138.
- Kim, A., J.L. Lee and B.H Choi, 2001. Analysis of wave data and estimation of littoral drifts for the eastern coast of Korea. J. Kor. Soc. Mar. Environ. Eng., 13: 18-34.
- Kim, D.I., I.S. Seo, C.H. Moon, B.M. Choi, R.H. Jung and M.H. Son, 2011. Community structure of macrobenthic assemblages around Gijang province, East sea of Korea. The Sea J. Korean Soc. Oceanogr., 16(2): 97-105.
- Kim, Y.H., J.K. Ahn, H.D. Yoon and M.A. Jang, 2007. Effects of heated effluents on the intertidal macroalgal community near Gori nuclear power plant. Algae. J. Korean Soc. Phycolog., 22(4): 297-304.
- Lardicci, C., F. Rossi, and F. Maltagliati, 1999. Detection of thermal pollution: Variability of benthic communities at two different spatial scales in an area influenced by a coastal power station. Mar. Pollut. Bull., 38: 296-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-326X(98)00149-0
- Lee, J.H., 1987. Distributional pattern of polychaetes in the benthic community of the Yellow Sea. Bull. Korean Fish. Soc., 20(3): 224-229.
- Lim, H.S. and J.W. Choi, 2001. Macrobenthic Community in the Soft Bottom around Sorido Island, Southern Coast of Korea. J. Korean Fish. Soc., 34(3): 225-237.
- Lim, H.S., J.G. Je, J.W. Choi and J.H. Lee, 1991. Distribution pattern of macrozoobenthos at Yoja Bay in summer. Ocean Res., 13: 31-46 (in Korean).
- Lim, H.S., J.W. Choi, J.G. Je and J.H. Lee, 1992. Distribution pattern of macrozoobenthos at the farming ground if the western part of Chinhae Bay, Korea. J. Korean Fish. Soc., 25(2): 115-132.
- Lim, H.S., R.J. Diaz, J.S. Hong and L.C. Schaffner, 2006. Hypoxia and benthic community recovery in Korean coastal waters. Mar. Pollut. Bull., 52: 1517-1526. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2006.05.013
- Long, B. and Lewis, 1987. Distribution and community structure of the benthic fauna of the north shore of the Gulf of St. Lawrence described by numerical methods of classification and ordination. Mar. Biol., 95: 93-101. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00447490
- Macdonald, T.A., B.J. Burd, V.I. Macdonald and A. van Roodselaar, 2010. Taxonomic and feeding guild classificatin for the marine benthic macroinvertebrates of the strait of Georgia, British Columbia. Can. Tech. Rep. Fish. Aquat. Sci., 2874: 63.
- Nishijima, W., A. Umehara, T. Okuda and S. Nakai, 2015. Variations in macrobenthic community structures in relation to environmental variables in the Seto Inland Sea, Japan, Mar. Pollut. Bull., 92: 90-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2014.12.051
- Paik, S.G., R.S. Kang, J.O. Jeon, J.H. Lee and S.G. Yun, 2007. Distribution patterns of sandy bottom macrobenthic community on the Hupo coastal area, in the East sea of Korea. Ocean Polar Res., 29(2): 123-134. https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2007.29.2.123
- Rhoads, D.C. and D.K. Young, 1970. The influence of deposit-feeding organism on the sediment stability and community trophic structure. J. Mar. Res., 25: 150-178.
- Rhoads, D.C., 1974. Organism-sediment relations on the muddy floor. Oceanogr Mar. Biol. Ann. Rev., 12: 263-300.
- Sanders, H.L., 1958. Benthic studies in Buzzards Bay I Animal sediment relationships. Limnol Oceanog., 3(3): 245-258. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1958.3.3.0245
- Seo, I.S., H.T. Moon, B.M. Choi, M.H. Kim, D.I. Kim, J.S. Yun, J.Y. Byun, H.C. Choi and M.H. Son, 2009. Community structure of macrobenthic assemblages around the Wolseong nuclear power plant, East sea of Korea. Korean J. Envrion. Biol., 27(4): 341-352.
- Shannon, C.E. and W. Wiener, 1963. The mathematical theory of communication. Urbna, Univ. of Illinois Press, p. 125.
- Shin, H.C., J.W. Choi and C.H. Koh, 1989. Faunal assemblages of benthic macrofauna in the inter- and subtidal regions of the inner Kyeonggi Bay, west coast of Korea. J. Oceanogr. Soc. Korea, 24: 184-193.
- Somerfield, P.J., 2008. Identification of the Bray-curtis similarity index: comment on Yoshioka (2008). Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., 372: 303-306. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps07841
- Teixeira T.P., L.M. Neves and F.G. Araujo, 2009. Effects of a nuclear power plant thermal discharge on habitat complexity and fish community structure in Ilha Grande Bay, Brazil. Mar. Environ. Res. 68: 188-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marenvres.2009.06.004
- Warwick, R.M., 1993. Environmental impact studies on marine communities: Pragmatical consideration. Aus. J. Ecol., 18: 63-80. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-9993.1993.tb00435.x
- Yu, O.H., H.G. Lee, J.H. Lee, K.T. Kim, C.S. Myung, H.T. Moon and J.Y. Byun, 2013. Spatial variation in macrobenthic communities affected by the thermal discharge volumes of a nuclear power plant on the East coast of Korea. Ocean Polar Res., 35(4): 299-312. https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2013.35.4.299
- Yu, O.H., S.G. Paik, H.G. Lee and J.H. Lee, 2011. Spatio-temporal distribution of macrobenthic communities in the coastal area of Uljin and its relation to environmental variables. Ocean Polar Res., 33(4): 421-434. https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2011.33.4.421
Supported by : 한국해양과학기술원