- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Nutrient Distribution by the Natural and Artificial Controlling Factors in Small Stream Estuary
소하천 하구(남해 당항포)에서 자연적, 인위적 요인이 영양염 분포에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2016.07.26
- Accepted : 2017.01.31
- Published : 2017.02.28
This study was conducted to investigate the nutrient distribution and controlling factors in small stream estuaries. The seasonal variations of nutrient concentration (nitrate, ammonium and phosphate) were observed from 2010 to 2012 in the three streams located in Dang-hang (closed estuary: Go-seong, open estuary: Gu-man and Ma-am). The nutrient concentrations in Go-seong were significantly higher than other estuaries, because Go-seong is relatively large and has large nutrient load from the watershed. The dyke located at the estuary, also, caused the high nutrient concentration by reducing the dilution and increasing residence time. In all three streams, nitrate concentration was high at upstream and decreased toward the downstream, because high load of nutrient input were located at upstream. Dilution and biogeochemical removal toward the downstream also caused the trends. Especially, denitrification, a typical nitrogen removing process showed clear tendency of gradual decreasing from upstream to downstream. However, Ammonium and phosphate concentrations were high at upstream and decreased toward the downstream only when the nutrient loads from the rivers were high. Nutrient concentrations were low in summer and high in winter. Freshwater discharge in summer caused a decrease of the residence time and increase of the transport of nutrients to downstream and reduced the nutrient concentrations in the estuary. Nutrient removal by the biological production during high temperature periods also affected the low nutrient concentrations. Small stream estuaries showed distinct nutrient dynamics. It is necessary to understand these characteristics in order to properly manage the small stream estuary.
Small stream estuary;Nutrient distribution;Denitrification
- 건설교통부, 1993. 죽천천.고성천.진전천.연초천 하천정비기본계획.
- 경상남도, 2008. 마암천.구만천.수양천 하천정비기본계획.
- 국토해양부, 2009. 하구역 관리체제 구축연구(III)-섬진강 하구-.
- 권기영, 문창호, 이재성, 양성렬, 박미옥, 이필용, 2004. 섬진강 하구역에서 영양염의 하구내 거동과 플럭스. 한국해양학회지, 9(4): 153-163.
- 기상청, 기상년도 각년도.
- 김규범, 황동운, 류재웅, 이용우, 2005. 한반도 연안 해역에서 해저 지하수 유출의 환경 생태학적 중요성. 한국해양학회지, 10(4): 204-212.
- 김동선, 김경희, 2009. 황해 근소만 조간대 퇴적물에서 인산염 흡착이 저층플럭스에 미치는 영향. Ocean and Polar Research, 31(3): 247-255. https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2009.31.3.247
- 김진호, 한국헌, 이종식, 2008. 농촌유역의 강우사상별 농업 비점원오염물질 유출특성. 한국물환경학회지, 24(1): 69-77.
- 신은성, 최지용, 이동훈, 2001. 농업지역의 비점오염물질 유출특성에 관한 연구. 한국물환경학회지, 17(3): 299-311.
- 안순모, 이상룡, 최재웅, 2011. 하구 생태 복원을 위한 생태구역 구분; 남해 고성만 고성천 인근 하구의 예. 한국해양학회지 바다, 16(2): 70-80.
- 안태웅, 범봉수, 김태훈, 최이송, 오종민, 2013. 불투수성 지역의 강우유출수에 대한 비점오염물질의 초기유출현상 분석. 대한환경공학회지, 35(9): 643-653.
- 양재삼, 정용훈, 지광희, 김현수, 최정훈, 김원장, 2008. 새만금 방조제 체절 이후 초기의 수질변화에 관한 연구. 한국해양환경.에너지학회지, 11(4): 199-213.
- 양재삼, 정주영, 허진영, 이상호, 최진용, 1999. 금강하구의물질수지 1. 영양염의 계절적 분포. 한국해양학회지 바다, 4(4): 71-79.
- 양해근, 2006. 강우시 비점오염물질의 유출특성에 관한 연구-곡성천 상.하류를 대상으로. 대한지리학회지, 41(4): 418-434.
- 이지영, 2009. 연안과 심해 퇴적물에서 질산염 환원과정의 중요성. 이학석사학위논문, 부산대학교, 부산.
- 이지영, 권지남, 안순모, 2012. 낙동강 하구 갯벌 퇴적물에서 강을 통한 질산염 우입에 따른 질소순환의 계절변화. 한국해양학회지 바다, 17(2): 120-129.
- 정하영, 조경제, 2003. 낙동강 하류 수계에서 저질퇴적층의 SOD와 영양염 용출. 한국하천호수학회지, 36(3): 322-335.
- 해양수산부. (2014). 하구역 종합관리시스템 개발연구.
- 허낙원, 이지영, 최재웅, 안순모, 2011. 남해안 주요 하구 갯벌 퇴적물의 탈질소화를 통한 질소 영양염 제거. 한국해양학회지 바다, 16(2): 81-96.
- 현정호, 정경호, 박용철, 최중기, 1999. 한강기수역에서의 암모늄 제거율 변화 및 질산화의 잠재적 역할. 한국해양학회지 바다, 4(1): 33-39.
- Alexander R.B., R.A. Smith and G.E. Schwarz, 2000. Effect of stream channel size on the delivery of nitrogen to the Gulf of Mexico. Nature, 403: 758-761. https://doi.org/10.1038/35001562
- An, S. and S.B. Joye, 2001. Enhancement of coupled nitrification-denitrification by benthic photosynthesis in shallow estuarine sediments. Limnology and Oceanography, 46(1): 62-74. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.2001.46.1.0062
- Arheimer, B. and R. Liden, 2000. Nitrogen and phosphorus concentrations from agricultural catchments-influence of spatial and temporal variables. Journal of Hydrology, 227(1): 140-159. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-1694(99)00177-8
- Billen, G., M. Somville, E.D. Becker and P. Servais, 1985. A nitrogen budget of the Scheldt hydrographical basin. Netherlands Journal of Sea Research, 19(3): 223-230. https://doi.org/10.1016/0077-7579(85)90027-4
- Brin, L.D., A.E. Giblin and J.J. Rich, 2014. Environmental controls of anammox and denitrification in southern New England estuarine and shelf sediments. Limnol. Oceanogr, 59(3): 851-860. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.2014.59.3.0851
- Chang, W.K., J. Ryu, Y. Yi., W.C. Lee, C.W. Lee, D. Kang, C.H. Lee, S. Hong, J. Nam and J.S. Khim, 2012. Improved water quality in response to pollution control measures at Masan Bay, Korea. Marine pollution bulletin, 64(2): 427-435. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2011.11.011
- Clavero, V., J.J. Izquierdo, J.A. Fernandez and F.X. Niell, 2000. Seasonal fluxes of phosphate and ammonium across the sediment-water interface in a shallow small estuary (Palmones River, southern Spain). Marine ecology. Progress series, 198: 51-60. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps198051
- Cooper, A.B. and J.G. Cooke, 1984. Nitrate loss and transformation in 2 vegetated headwater streams. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research, 18(4): 441-450. https://doi.org/10.1080/00288330.1984.9516065
- Cowan, J.L.W., J.R. Pennock and W.R, Boynton, 1996. Seasonal and interannual patterns of sediment-water nutrient and oxygen fluxes in Mobile Bay, Alabama (USA): regulating factors and ecological significance. Marine ecology progress series. Oldendorf, 141(1): 229-245. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps141229
- Day, J.H., 1989. Estuarine ecology. Wiley, 106-109 pp.
- Ensign, S.H. and M.W. Doyle, 2006. Nutrient spiraling in streams and river networks. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences (2005-2012), 111(G4).
- Fairbridge, R.W., 1980. The estuary: its definition and geodynamic cycle. Chemistry and biogeochemistry of estuaries, wiley, 1136 pp.
- Fear, J.M., S.P. Thompson, T.E. Gallo and H.W. Paerl, 2005. Denitrification rates measured along a salinity gradient in the eutrophic Neuse River Estuary, North Carolina, USA. Estuaries, 28(4): 608-619. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02696071
- Giblin, A.E., N.B. Weston, G.T. Banta, J. Tucker and C.S. Hopkinson, 2010. The effects of salinity on nitrogen losses from an oligohaline estuarine sediment. Estuaries and Coasts, 33(5): 1054-1068. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12237-010-9280-7
- Groffman, P.M. and M.K. Crawford, 2003. Denitrification potential in urban riparian zones. Journal of Environmental Quality, 32(3): 1144-1149. https://doi.org/10.2134/jeq2003.1144
- Gumbricht, T., 1993. Nutrient removal processes in freshwater submersed macrophyte systems. Ecological Engineering, 2(1): 1-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/0925-8574(93)90024-A
- Hathaway, J.M., R.S. Tucker, J.M. Spooner and W.F. Hunt, 2012. A traditional analysis of the first flush effect for nutrients in stormwater runoff from two small urban catchments. Water, Air, & Soil Pollution, 223(9): 5903-5915. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11270-012-1327-x
- Herbert, R.A., 1999. Nitrogen cycling in coastal marine ecosystems. FEMS microbiology reviews, 23(5): 563-590. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-6976.1999.tb00414.x
- Herrman, K.S., V. Bouchard and R.H. Moore, 2008. Factors affecting denitrification in agricultural headwater streams in Northeast Ohio, USA. Hydrobiologia, 598(1): 305-314. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10750-007-9164-4
- Hobbie, J.E., 2000. Chesapeake Bay eutrophication model. In estuarine science: A synthetic approach to research and practice. ISLAND PRESS, 363-404 pp.
- Hu, J. and S. Li, 2009. Modeling the mass fluxes and transformations of nutrients in the Pearl River Delta, China. Journal of Marine Systems, 78(1): 146-167. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2009.05.001
- Huang, Q., H. Shen, Z.,Wang, X. Liu and R. Fu, 2006. Influences of natural and anthropogenic processes on the nitrogen and phosphorus fluxes of the Yangtze Estuary, China. Regional Environmental Change, 6(3): 125-131. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10113-005-0001-x
- Jickells, T.D., 1998. Nutrient biogeochemistry of the coastal zone. Science, 281(5374): 217-222. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.281.5374.217
- Jones, M.N., 1984. Nitrate reduction by shaking with cadmium: alternative to cadmium column. Water Research, 18(5), 643-646. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1354(84)90215-X
- Kaul, L.W. and P.N Froelich, 1984. Modeling estuarine nutrient geochemistry in a simple system. Geochimica et cosmochimica Acta, 48(7): 1417-1433. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-7037(84)90399-5
- Lee, J. and S. An, 2015. Effect of dikes on the distribution and characteristics of Phragmites australis in temperate intertidal wetlands located in the South Sea of Korea. Ocean Science Journal, 50(1): 49-59. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12601-015-0004-6
- Lee, J.H. and K.W. Bang, 2000. Characterization of urban stormwater runoff. Water Research, 34(6): 1773-1780. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(99)00325-5
- Li, L.Q., C.Q. Yin, Q.C. He and L.L. Kong, 2007. First flush of storm runoff pollution from an urban catchment in China. Journal of Environmental Sciences, 19(3): 295-299. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1001-0742(07)60048-5
- Liu, S.M., G.H. Hong, J. Zhang, X.W. Ye and X.L. Jiang, 2009. Nutrient budgets for large Chinese estuaries. Biogeosciences, 6(10): 2245-2263. https://doi.org/10.5194/bg-6-2245-2009
- Liu, S.M., J. Zhang, H.T. Chen, Y. Wu, H. Xiong, and Z.F. Zhang, 2003. Nutrients in the Changjiang and its tributaries. Biogeochemistry, 62(1): 1-18. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021162214304
- Malecki, L.M., J.R. White and K.R. Reddy, 2004. Nitrogen and phosphorus flux rates from sediment in the lower St. Johns River estuary. Journal of environmental quality, 33(4): 1545-1555. https://doi.org/10.2134/jeq2004.1545
- McColl, R.H.S, 1974. Self-purification of small freshwater streams: phosphate, nitrate, and ammonia removal. New Zealand journal of marine and freshwater research, 8(2): 375-388. https://doi.org/10.1080/00288330.1974.9515512
- Moon, C.H., 1989. Studies on the Phytoplankton and Nutrients in the Yeosu Haeman. Bull. Korean. Fish. Soc. 22(6): 408-414.
- Mulholland, P.J., A.M. Helton, G.C. Poole, R.O. Hall, S.K. Hamilton, B.J. Peterson, J.H. Tank, L.R. Ashkenas, L.W. Cooper, C.N. Dahm, W.K. Dodds, S.E.G. Findlay, S.V. Gregory, N.B. Grimm, S.L. Johnson, W.H. McDowell, J.L. Meyer, H.M. Valett, J.R. Webster, C.P. Arango, J.J. Beaulieu, M.J. Bernot, A.J. Burgin, C.L. Crenshaw, L.T. Johnson, B.R. Niederlehner, J.M. O'Brien, J.D. Potter, R.W. Sheibley, D.J. Sobota and S.M. Thomas, 2008. Stream denitrification across biomes and its response to anthropogenic nitrate loading. Nature, 452(7184): 202-205. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature06686
- Newbold, J.D., 1992. Cycles and spirals of nutrient. The Rivers Handbook (Vol. 1), CalowP, PettsGE (eds). Blackwell Science: Oxford, UK; 379-408 pp.
- Newbold, J.D., J.W. Elwood, R.V. O'Neill and W.V. Winkle, 1981. Measuring nutrient spiralling in streams. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 38(7): 860-863. https://doi.org/10.1139/f81-114
- Nielsen, L.P., 1992. Denitrification in sediment determined from nitrogen isotope pairing. FEMS Microbiology Ecology, 9(4): 357-361. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-6941.1992.tb01771.x
- Pacini, N. and R. Gachter, 1999. Speciation of riverine particulate phosphorus during rain events. Biogeochemistry, 47(1): 87-109.
- Peterson, B.J., W.M., Wollheim, P.J. Mulholland, J.R. Webster, J.L. Meyer, J.L. Tank, J.L. Tank, E. Marti, W.B. Bowden, H.M. Valett, A.E. Hershey, W.H. McDowell, W.K. Dodds, S.K. Hamilton, S. Gregory and Morrall, D.D., 2001. Control of nitrogen export from watersheds by headwater streams. Science, 292(5514): 86-90. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1056874
- Rendell, A.R., T.M. Horrobin, T.D. Jickells, H.M. Edmunds, J. Brown and S.J. Malcolm, 1997. Nutrient cycling in the Great Ouse estuary and its impact on nutrient fluxes to The Wash, England. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 45(5): 653-668. https://doi.org/10.1006/ecss.1996.0226
- Royer, T.V., J.L. Tank and M.B. David, 2004. Transport and fate of nitrate in headwater agricultural streams in Illinois. Journal of Environmental Quality, 33(4): 1296-1304. https://doi.org/10.2134/jeq2004.1296
- Sanders, R.J., T. Jickells, S. Malcolm, J. Brown, D. Kirkwood, A. Reeve, J. Taylor, T. Horrobin and C. Ashcroft, 1997. Nutrient fluxes through the Humber estuary. Journal of Sea Research, 37(1): 3-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1385-1101(96)00002-0
- Schaller, J.L., T.V. Royer, M.B. David and J.L. Tank, 2004. Denitrification associated with plants and sediments in an agricultural stream. Journal of the North American Benthological Society, 23(4): 667-676. https://doi.org/10.1899/0887-3593(2004)023<0667:DAWPAS>2.0.CO;2
- Seitzinger, S.P., 1988. Denitrification in freshwater and coastal marine ecosystems: ecological and geochemical significance. Limnology and Oceanography, 33(4): 702-724.
- Sharp, J.H., C.H. Culberson, and T.M. Church, 1982. The chemistry of the Delaware estuary. General considerations. Limnology and Oceanography, 27(6): 1015-1028. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.19220.127.116.115
- Sharp, J.H., J.R. Pennock, T.M. Church, J.M. Tramontano, and L.A. Cifuentes, 1984. Estuarine Interaction of Nutrients, Organics, and Metals: A Case Study in the Delaware Estuary. The Estuary as a Filter, Academic Press, Orlando FL. 1984. NA 80 AA-D-00106. 241-258 pp.
- Shen, Z.L. and Q. Liu, 2009. Nutrients in the changjiang river. Environmental monitoring and assessment, 153(1-4): 27-44. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-008-0334-2
- Strickland, J.D.H. and T.R. Parsons, 1972. A practical handbook of seawater analysis. Fisheries Research Board of Canada, Ottawa, 310.
- Utley, B.C., G. Vellidis, R. Lowrance and M.C. Smith, 2008. Factors Affecting Sediment Oxygen Demand Dynamics in Blackwater Streams of Georgia's Coastal Plain1. JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 44(3),: 742-753. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-1688.2008.00202.x
- Wall, L.G., J.L. Tank, T.V. Royer and M.J. Bernot, 2005. Spatial and temporal variability in sediment denitrification within an agriculturally influenced reservoir. Biogeochemistry, 76(1): 85-111. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10533-005-2199-6
- Zhang, J., 1996. Nutrient elements in large Chinese estuaries. Continental Shelf Research, 16(8): 1023-1045. https://doi.org/10.1016/0278-4343(95)00055-0
Grant : 내만 빈산소수괴 해소기술개발
Supported by : 한국해양과학기술진흥원