- Volume 27 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Interventions of Korean Medicine for Hip Pain: A Literature Review of Case Studies
고관절 통증에 대한 한의학적 치료: 증례연구의 문헌적 분석
- Park, Sang-Cheol (Department of Pathology, College of Korean Medicine, Dae-Gu Haany University) ;
- Sung, Soo-Hyun (Department of Policy Development, National Development Institute of Korean Medicine) ;
- An, Tteul-E-Bom (Department of Gynecology of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Dae-Gu Haany University) ;
- Shin, Byung-Cheul (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, Pusan National University Korean Medicine Hospital) ;
- Choi, Gwang-Ho (Kyunghee Pinetree Korean Medicine Clinic) ;
- Park, Jong-Hyun (Department of Pathology, College of Korean Medicine, Dae-Gu Haany University)
- 박상철 (대구한의대학교 한의과대학 병리학교실) ;
- 성수현 (한약진흥재단 정책개발부) ;
- 안뜰에봄 (대구한의대학교 한의과대학 부인과교실) ;
- 신병철 (부산대학교 한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 최광호 (경희소나무 한의원) ;
- 박종현 (대구한의대학교 한의과대학 병리학교실)
- Received : 2016.12.25
- Accepted : 2017.01.15
- Published : 2017.01.31
Objectives This study aimed to review case studies on interventions of Korean medicine for hip pain. Methods We searched seven electronic databases for relevant studies up to Oct 2016. Case studies of Korean medicine interventions for hip pain were included and analysed. Results 15 case studies were included (Korean databases; n=15) and Total number of patients was 17 cases. A total of 13 types of interventions were reported, of which acupuncture (93.3%), herbal medicine (80.0%) and pharmacopuncture (40.0%) were the most frequently used. GB30 (66.7%), LR3 (41.7%), BL36 (33.3%) and ST31 (33.3%) were used in at least 4 papers. Cheongpa-jeon (25.0%) and symptom change (46.7%) were most frequently used in herbal medicine and outcome measure respectively. Conclusions Clinical studies, especially double-blinded randomized controlled trials, of Korean medicine interventions for hip pain must be conducted to obtain definite conclusions.
case studies;hip pain;Korean medicine;literature review
- Yun TL. Hip pain. Hip & Pelvis. 2003;15(4):382-7.
- Lee C(Author), Jin JP(Translator). Introduction to medicine. Seoul:Bubin publishers. 2009:257-320.
- Heo J(Author), Institute of dongui literature(Translator). Donguibogam. Seoul:Bubin publishers. 2005:1423-53.
- Kim HS, Kang JH, Hong SY, Yoon IJ, Oh MS. Study of east & west medical science documentary records of hip joint pain. Journal of Research Institute of Korean Medicine in Daejon University. 2006;15(1):125-40.
- Christmas C, Crespo CJ, Franckowiak SC, Bathon JM, Bartlett SJ, Andersen RE. How common is hip pain among older adults? Results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. J Fam Pract. 2002;51(4):345-8.
- Clohisy JC, Baca G, Beaule PE, Kim YJ, Larson CM, Millis MB, et al. Descriptive epidemiology of femoroacetabular impingement: a north american cohort of patients undergoing surgery. Am J Sports Med. 2013;41(6):1348-56. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546513488861
- Katz N. The Impact of Pain Management on Quality of Life. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2002;24(1):S38-S47. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0885-3924(02)00411-6
- Wilson JJ, Furukawa M. Evaluation of the patient with hip pain. Am Fam Physician. 2014;89(1):27-34.
- Kim YS, Kwon SY, Han SK. Anatomy and biomechanics of the hip. J Korean Hip Soc. 2009;21(2):94-106. https://doi.org/10.5371/jkhs.2009.21.2.94
- Heo YK, Lee H, Moon IR, Park KB, Park HS, Seo WH et al. A case report of avascular necrosis of the femoral head. The Acupuncture. 2004;21(6):299-309.
- Kim HJ, Bae SE, Lee SY, Jung YH. A clinical report on the case of bilateral sacroilitis with synovitis in Rt. hip joint caused by ankylosing spondylitis, treated by conservative Korean medical treatment including hip joint MST(Motion Style Treatment). The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2014;9(2):125-32.
- Jun HJ, Lee JH, Nam SS, Kim YS. A case of sequelae of septic arthritis treated by the therapy of Oriental medicine. The Acupuncture. 2001;18(5):204-12.
- Song HH, Lee H. The clinical study of 1 case of patient with numbness after hip fracture. Journal of Research Institute of Korean Medicine in Daejon University. 2005;14(2):171-6.
- Choi SW, Lim ST, Shin JC. A case of patient with the pain of hip adductors treated by scolopendrid herbal acupuncture. Journal of Pharmacopuncture. 2006;9(1): 109-13. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2006.9.1.109
- Ban DJ, Lee HS, Kang TG, Han KS, Bae HS, Park SS. A clinical study of hip joint pain improved with Gihwangbaekho-tang. J of Sasang Constitutional Medicine. 2007; 19(2):195-203.
- Chang JI, Kim YJ, Yoo SY, Choi DY. Case Report: Seok-ho Acupuncture treatment for the patient who has right hip pain after traumatic spondylopathy. Journal of Korean medicine for spine and joint. 2009;6(1):31-40.
- Kim WY, Lee JY, Han SY, Kong DH, Park JU, Lee HJ. A case report on snapping hip patient treated by chuna manual therapy for meridian sinew system. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2010;5(2):43-8.
- Yang DH, Nam TH, Park YB, Park YJ. The clinical observation of kinesio taping at left hip joint of hemiparesis. J Korea Instit Orient Med Diagn. 2010;14(1): 111-8.
- Kim HJ, Kwak KI, Lee YS, Jeon JH, Kim YI. Effect of Korean medical treatment after hip fracture surgery: a case report. Journal of Korean medicine for spine and joint. 2013;10(1):83-9.
- Baek SH, Park MW, Eom KJ, Yang SH, Lee SY. A case report on a patient of early developed avascular necrosis of femur head with lumbar HIVD, treated by conservative Oriental medical treatment including hip joint MST. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2013;8(2):141-9.
- Park JH, Oh EY, Park SA, Shin YB, Kim YJ. A case report on a patient of bilateral avascular necrosis of femur head, treated with Korean medicine and hip Joint fascia chuna therapy. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2014;9(1):115-24.
- Jun BC, Kim JS. A clinical case study on complaining the other side hip joint pain after operating total hip arthroplasty because of acascular necrosis with oriental medical treatment. J Sports Korean Med. 2014;13(2):11-6.
- Kim HS, Lee CH, Jeon JY, Lim SJ, Bae YH, Kim HS, et al. A case report on a patient with femoroacetabular impingement and lumbar HIVD, treated by bee venom pharmacopuncture and conservative oriental medical treatment. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2014;9(2):81-92.
- Ha WB, Lee JH, Ko YS, Lee JH. A rehabilitation for total hip replacement in Korean medicine: a report of three cases. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2016;26(3):153-64. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2016.26.3.153
- World health Organization Western Pacific Regional Office. Standard Acupuncture Nomenclature. Manila: World health Organization. 1993.
- World health Organization Western Pacific Regional Office. WHO International Standard Terminologies on Traditional Medicine in the Western Pacific Region. Manila: World health Organization. 2007.
- Society of Korean Medicine. Standard terminology of Korean medicine [cited 2016 oct 19]. Available from: URL: http://cis.kiom.re.kr/terminology/search.do.
- Kim SY, Park JE, Seo HJ, Lee YJ, Jang HJ, Suh HS, et al. NECA's Guidance for Undertaking Systematic Reviews and Meta-analyses for Intervention. Seoul: National Evidencebased Healthcare Collaborating Agency. 2011:19-46.
- Korean Pharmacopuncture Institute. Pharmacopuncturology: Principles and Clinical Applications. Elsevier Korea LLC, Seoul, South Korea. 2012.
- Lee HG, Hong SY. A comparative study of clinical papers about pharmacopuncture in Korea and China: focusing on papers about musculoskeletal and nervous diseases. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2009;19(3):47-67.
- Park JM, Lee HS, Shin BC, Lee MS, Kim BR, Kim JI. Pharmacopuncture in Korea: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2016.
- Textbook Compilation Committee of Traditional Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Medicine. The Acupuncture and Moxibustion. Vol1. Seoul:Jipmoondang. 2007:98-101, 643-5.
- Textbook Compilation Committee of Traditional Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Medicine. The Acupuncture and Moxibustion. Vol1. Seoul:Jipmoondang. 2007:101-3, 667-8.
- Kim DW, Kim Y, Shin JS. The clinical effect of Cheongpa-jeon on the group of patients who were treated under conservative remedies for LBP(Low Back Pain). The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2004;5(1):85-92.
- Kim TH, Yoon SJ, Lee WC, Sim JK, Shin J, Lee S, et al. Protective effect of GCSB-5, an herbal preparation, against peripheral nerve injury in rats. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011;136(2):297-304. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2011.04.037
- Chung HJ, Lee HS, Shin JS, Lee SH, Park BM, Youn YS, et al. Modulation of acute and chronic inflammatory processes by a traditional medicine preparation GCSB-5 both in vitro and in vivo animal models. J Ethnopharmacol. 2010;130(3):450-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2010.05.020
- Textbook Compilation Committee of Traditional Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Medicine. Acupuncture Medicine. Seoul:Hanmibook, 2016:101-15.
- Production Team of KBS Science Cafe. KBS Science Cafe. Vol1. Goyang:Yedam. 2008:210-9.
- Kim MJ. Principles of moxibustion and its effects on health. Korean J Stress Res. 2005;13(4):265-72.
- Harris-Hayes M, Mueller MJ, Sahrmann SA, Bloom HJ, Steger-May K, Clohisy JC, et al. Persons with chronic hip joint pain exhibit reduced hip muscle strength. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2014;44(11):890-8. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2014.5268