- Volume 3 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Convergent factors affecting length of stay in the postanesthesia care unit among elderly from general anesthesia patients
노인 전신마취 환자의 회복실 체류에 영향을 미치는 융합적 요인
- Lee, Su-Jin (Department Nursing Science The Graduate School of Nursing, Sungshin University)
- 이수진 (성신여자대학교 대학원 간호학과)
- Received : 2017.07.03
- Accepted : 2017.08.18
- Published : 2017.09.30
This study is a descriptive investigation for understanding factors influencing the length of stay in the postanesthesia care unit of elderly patients. Retrospective investigation was conducted on 300 patients aged 65 or older among those who had received an operation under general anesthesia and treated in postanesthesia care unit of hospital C located in Gyeonggi-do, from January 1 to December 31, 2014. The patients' average postanesthesia care unit stay was found to be 48.4 minutes and the 30-59 minute section accounted for the highest part with 58.0%. The postanesthesia care unit stay time according to intra-operative factors showed significant differences depending upon muscle relaxants, transfusion, ABGA, body temperature and total hours under anesthesia. Concerning the post anesthesia care unit stay length according to post-operative factors, significant differences were observed depending upon complications, PCA device, and circulatory drug use. In order to find out factors influencing the post anesthesia care unit stay length, the multiple regression analysis was conducted. As a result, the circulatory drug use and intra-operative lower body temperature were found to have an effect on the post anesthesia care unit stay length with the total explanatory power of 13%. Based on these findings above, it is deemed helpful to carefully monitor factors related to the post anesthesia care unit stay length and provide swift response accordingly for shorter post anesthesia care unit stay time of elderly general anesthesia patients.
- Statistics Korea, http://www.kostat.go.kr, 2015
- National Health Insurance Service, http://www.nhis.or.kr, 2011.
- B.M.Choi, S.Jang, S.H.Lee, H.C.Kim, S.H.Shin and M.S.Koo, "Development of an Adequate Propofol Sedation Model in Elderly Patients for Elective Surgery under Regional Anesthesia", Journal of the Korean Geriatrics Society, Vol.14, No.4, pp.203-211, 2010. https://doi.org/10.4235/jkgs.2010.14.4.203
- K.H.Yoo, "Critical Point of Anesthetic Management in the Elderly", Korean Journal of Anesthesiology, Vol.46, No.5, pp.501-516, 2004. https://doi.org/10.4097/kjae.2004.46.5.501
- The Korean Society of Anesthesiologists. "Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine 2nd ed.", Seoul: Ryo Moon Gak Publisher, 2010.
- The Korean Society of Anesthesiologists. "Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine", Seoul: Ryo Moon Gak Publisher, 2003.
- P.Trevian and G.Gobber, "Quality of post anesthetic care in a hospital without a post anesthetic care unit: A clinical audit", Minerva Anestesiologica, Vol.70 No.9, pp.631-642, 2004.
- H.S.Yoon, "Nursing in Operating Room, 2nd ed.", Seoul; Chung-gu publisher, 1999.
- R.Hines, P.G.Barash, G.Watrous, and T.Connor, "Complication occurring in the post anaesthesia care unit: a survey ." Anesthesia and analgesia, Vol.74, No.4, pp.503-509, 1992.
- M.J.Jang, "(The) Degree of Importance and Performation on Postoperative Nursing Activity in Recovery Room", Master's Thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, 1997.
- H.M.Margaret and C.R.Jane, "Alexander's Care of the patient in surgery, 10th ed.", Saint. Louis: Mosby-Year Book Inc, 1995.
- R.D.Dripps, J.E.Eckenhoff and L.D.Vandam, "Introduction to Anesthesia, 9th ed.", Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders Co, 1996.
- Y.K.Chae, Y.K.Lee, Y.S.Choi, Y.H.Kim, W.K.Lee and J.H.Min, "Clinical Survey of Patients in Anesthesia Care Unit", Kwandong Medical Journal, Vol.9 No.1, pp.49-55, 2005.
- G.E.Morgan, M.S.Mikhail, and M.J.Murray, "Clinical Anesthesiology, 4th ed.", Stanford: Appleton & Lange, 2006.
- The Korean Society of Anesthesiologists. "Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine 3rd.", Seoul: Ryo Moon Gak Publisher, 2014.
- W.O.Kim, H.G.Gil, B.N.Koo and J.I.Kim, "Analysis and Prediction of Length of Stay in the Postanesthetia Care Unit Background" Korean Journal of Anesthesiology, Vol.40, No.5, pp.613-618, 2001. https://doi.org/10.4097/kjae.2001.40.5.613
- J.Y.Choi, "Influencing factors on length of stay in the post-anesthesia care unit in elderly", Master's Thesis, Han-Yang University, Seoul, 2010.
- S.M.Kim, H.Y.So, M.H.Lee, M.Y.Park and M.J.Kwon, "Factors Influencing Length of Stay at the Recovery Room among Elderly Patients Undergone General Anesthesia" Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol.23, No.1, pp.87-99, 2011.
- K.O.Lee, "Factors Affecting The Length of Post anesthesia Care Unit Stay in Patients Who Underwent General Anesthesia", Master's Thesis, Soon Chun Hyang University, Asan, 2005.
- H.S.Park and H.S.Gu, "Factors Influencing of Stay among Patients with General Anesthesia at the Recovery Room, Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol.14, No.6, pp.3103-3120, 2012.
- E.J.Kim, "Characteristics related to Postanesthesia Care Unit of the General Anesthetic patients", Master's Thesis, Inje University, Gimhae, 2011.
- I.R.Lee, J.Y.Kim, H.Y.Kim, E.Y.Oh, and K.J.Kwon, "Factors Influencing Length of Stay among Patients with General Anesthesia at the Recovery Room." , Journal of Clinical Nursing Research, Vol.9, pp.31-54, 2006.
- Y.H.Jung, S.J.Ko and E.J.Kim, "A Study on the Effective Chronic Disease Management", Korean Institute for Health and Affairs, 2013.
- C.W.Baek, J.W.Park and Y.H.Jung, "Effect of Inspired Gas Composition during Anesthesia on Postoperative Arterial Oxygenation in Elderly Patients", Korean Journal of Anesthesiology, Vol.43, No.5, pp.573-577, 2004.
- S. H. Kim, "Factors Influencing Length of Stay at the Recovery Room", Master's Thesis, Korea University, Seoul, 2006.
- M.H.Kwon and Y.S.Byeon, "Factors Influencing Body Temperature in Elderly Surgical Patients", The Korean Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol.20 No.2, pp.108-117, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2013.20.2.108