- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Integrating Fuzzy based Fault diagnosis with Constrained Model Predictive Control for Industrial Applications
- Mani, Geetha (School of Electrical Engineering, VIT University) ;
- Sivaraman, Natarajan (Dept. of Instrumentation & Control Systems Engineering, PSG College of Technology)
- Received : 2014.03.03
- Accepted : 2016.07.05
- Published : 2017.03.01
An active Fault Tolerant Model Predictive Control (FTMPC) using Fuzzy scheduler is developed. Fault tolerant Control (FTC) system stages are broadly classified into two namely Fault Detection and Isolation (FDI) and fault accommodation. Basically, the faults are identified by means of state estimation techniques. Then using the decision based approach it is isolated. This is usually performed using soft computing techniques. Fuzzy Decision Making (FDM) system classifies the faults. After identification and classification of the faults, the model is selected by using the information obtained from FDI. Then this model is fed into FTC in the form of MPC scheme by Takagi-Sugeno Fuzzy scheduler. The Fault tolerance is performed by switching the appropriate model for each identified faults. Thus by incorporating the fuzzy scheduled based FTC it becomes more efficient. The system will be thereafter able to detect the faults, isolate it and also able to accommodate the faults in the sensors and actuators of the Continuous Stirred Tank Reactor (CSTR) process while the conventional MPC does not have the ability to perform it.
- Prakash J., Narasimhan Shankar, Patwardhan Sachin C.: Integrating Model Based Fault Diagnosis with Model Predictive Control. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 44 (12), pp. 4344-4360, (2005). https://doi.org/10.1021/ie049392z
- U. Sabura Banu and G. Uma: ANFIS based sensor fault detection for continuous stirred tank reactor. Applied Soft Comp., vol. 11, pp. 2618-2624, (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2010.10.009
- J.J. Gertler: A survey of model based failure detection and isolation in complex plant. IEEE Control Syst. Mag., vol. 8, pp. 3-11, (1988).
- Maciejowski J. M.: Modeling and Predictive Control: Enabling Technologies for reconfiguration. Annual Reviews in Control, vol. 23, pp. 13-23, (1999). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1367-5788(99)90051-2
- T. N. Pranatyasto, S. Joe Qin.: Sensor validation and process fault diagnosis for FCC units under MPC feedback. Control engg. practice, vol. 9, pp. 877-888, (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0967-0661(01)00055-7
- Isermann, R.: Process Fault Diagnosis Based on Modeling and Estimation Methods: A survey. Automatica, vol. 20, pp. 387-404, (1984). https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-1098(84)90098-0
- M Geetha, Jovitha Jerome: Fuzzy expert system based sensor and actuator fault diagnosis for continuous stirred tank reactor. 2013 International Conference on Fuzzy Theory and Its Applications (iFUZZY), pp. 251-257, (2013).
- M Geetha, Jovitha Jerome, Arun Kumar: Critical evaluation of non-linear filter configurations for the state estimation of Continuous Stirred Tank Reactor. Applied soft computing, vol. 25, pp. 452-460, (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2014.08.046