- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Renewable Low-viscosity Dielectrics Based on Vegetable Oil Methyl Esters
- Yu, Hui (College of Chemistry and Molecular Science, Wuhan University) ;
- Yu, Ping (College of Chemistry and Molecular Science, Wuhan University) ;
- Luo, Yunbai (College of Chemistry and Molecular Science, Wuhan University)
- Received : 2016.08.02
- Accepted : 2016.12.22
- Published : 2017.03.01
Vegetable oil dielectrics have been used in transformers as green alternatives to mineral insulating oils for about twenty years, because of their advantages of non-toxic, biodegradability, and renewability. However, the viscosity of vegetable oils is more than 3 times of mineral oils, which means a poor heat dissipation capacity. To get low-viscosity dielectrics, transesterification and purification were performed to prepare vegetable oil methyl esters in this study. Electrical and physical properties were determined to investigate their potential as dielectrics. The results showed that the methyl ester products had good dielectric strengths, high water saturation and enough fire resistance. The viscosities (at
Insulating oil;Vegetable oil methyl ester;Low viscosity;Electrical and physical performance;Pour point depressants
- D. Cao, Chromatographic analysis and fault diagnosis for transformer oil, China Electric Power Press, 2010.
- M. Heathcote, J & P transformer book, Newnes, 2011.
- T.O. Rouse, "Mineral insulating oil in transformers," IEEE Electrical Insulation Magazine, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 6-16, 1998.
- Y. Bertrand, and L. Hoang, "Vegetable oils as substitute for mineral insulating oils in medium-voltage equipments," CIGRE Reports, D1-202, 2004.
- S.Z. Erhan, and S. Asadauskas, "Lubricant basestocks from vegetable oils," Industrial crops and products, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 277-282, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0926-6690(99)00061-8
- S. Boyde, "Green lubricants. Environmental benefits and impacts of lubrication," Green Chemistry, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 293-307, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1039/b202272a
- M. Shinke, K. Miyazato, T. Tada, Y. Takeuchi, Y. Nakagami, R. Shimizu, M. Kosaka, and M. Wada, "Fundamental studies on development of environment friendly vegetable oil filled transformer," IEEJ Transactions on Power and Energy, vol. 123, pp. 187-193, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1541/ieejpes.123.187
- M.A.G. Martins, "Vegetable oils, an alternative to mineral oil for power transformers-experimental study of paper aging in vegetable oil versus mineral oil," IEEE Electrical Insulation Magazine, vol. 6, no. 26, pp. 7-13, 2010.
- N. Azis, J. Jasni, M.Z.A. Ab Kadir, and M.N. Mohtar, "Suitability of palm based oil as dielectric insulating fluid in transformers," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 662-669, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.2.662
- C. Watkins, "Transforming the transformer industry," Inform, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 524-526, 2008.
- C. P. McShane, "Vegetable-oil-based dielectric coolants," IEEE Industry Applications Magazine, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 34-41, 2002.
- T. Oommen, "Vegetable oils for liquid-filled transformers," IEEE Electrical Insulation Magazine, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 6-11, 2002.
- S. Tenbohlen, and M. Koch, "Aging performance and moisture solubility of vegetable oils for power transformers," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 825-830, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2009.2034747
- F.M.T. Luna, B.S. Rocha, E.M. Rola, M.C. Albuquerque, D.C. Azevedo, and C.L. Cavalcante, "Assessment of biodegradability and oxidation stability of mineral, vegetable and synthetic oil samples," Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 579-583, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2010.12.012
- S.Z. Erhan, B.K. Sharma, and J.M. Perez, "Oxidation and low temperature stability of vegetable oil-based lubricants," Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 292-299, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2006.06.008
- M. Rafiq, Y. Lv, Y. Zhou, K. Ma, W. Wang, C. Li, and Q. Wang, "Use of vegetable oils as transformer oils-a review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 52, pp. 308-324, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2015.07.032
- C.P. McShane, "Relative properties of the new combustion-resist vegetable-oil-based dielectric coolants for distribution and power transformers," IEEE Transactions on industry applications, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 1132-1139, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.936406
- D. Martin, J. Wijaya, N. Lelekakis, D. Susa, and N. Heyward, "Thermal analysis of two transformers filled with different oils," IEEE Electrical Insulation Magazine, vol. 1, no. 30, pp. 39-45, 2014.
- C.P. McShane, K.J. Rapp, J.L. Corkran, G.A. Gauger, and J. Luksich, "Aging of paper insulation in natural ester dielectric fluid," in Transmission and Distribution Conference and Exposition, 2001 IEEE/PES, 2001.
- S. Liang, R. Liao, L. Yang, J. Li, C. Sun, and H. Sun, "Thermal aging characteristics of natural ester impregnated Kraft paper and thermally upgraded paper insulation," in High Voltage Engineering and Application, 2008. ICHVE 2008. International Conference on, 2008.
- M. Amanullah, S.M. Islam, S. Chami, and G. Ienco, "Analyses of physical characteristics of vegetable oils as an alternative source to mineral oil-based dielectric fluid," in IEEE International Conference on Dielectric Liquids, 2005. ICDL 2005.
- M. Amanullah, S.M. Islam, S. Chami, and G. Ienco, "Low viscosity vegetable oil-based dielectric fluids," Google Patents, 2007.
- D. Y. Leung, X. Wu, and M. Leung, "A review on biodiesel production using catalyzed transesterification," Applied energy, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 1083-1095, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2009.10.006
- T. Kanoh, H. Iwabuchi, Y. Hoshida, J. Yamada, T. Hikosaka, A. Yamazaki, Y. Hatta, and H. Koide, "Analyses of electro-chemical characteristics of palm fatty acid esters as insulating oil," in 2008 IEEE International Conference on Dielectric Liquids, 2008.
- A. Rottig, L. Wenning, D. Broker, and A. Steinbuchel, "Fatty acid alkyl esters: perspectives for production of alternative biofuels," Applied microbiology and biotechnology, vol. 85, no. 6, pp. 1713-1733, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-009-2383-z
- L. Meher, D.V. Sagar, and S. Naik, "Technical aspects of biodiesel production by transesterification - a review," Renewable and sustainable energy reviews, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 248-268, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2004.09.002
- U. Schuchardt, R. Sercheli, and R.M. Vargas, "Transesterification of vegetable oils: a review," Journal of the Brazilian Chemical Society, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 199-210, 1998.
- Y. Kasahara, M. Kato, S. Watanabe, M. Iwahashi, R. Wakamatsu, T. Suzuki, A. Kanetani, T. Kano, and T. Tamura, "Consideration on the relationship between dielectric breakdown voltage and water content in fatty acid esters," Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, vol. 89, no. 7, pp. 1223-1229, 2012.
- S. C. Cermak, G. Biresaw, T. A. Isbell, R. L. Evangelista, S.F. Vaughn, and R. Murray, "New crop oils - Properties as potential lubricants," Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 44, pp. 232-239, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2012.10.035
- M.J. Ramos, C.M. Fernandez, A. Casas, L. Rodriguez, and A Perez, "Influence of fatty acid composition of raw materials on biodiesel properties," Bioresource technology, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 261-268, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2008.06.039
- A. Kamal-Eldin, and R. Andersson, "A multivariate study of the correlation between tocopherol content and fatty acid composition in vegetable oils," Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 375-380, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11746-997-0093-1
- W. Neff, T. Mounts, W. Rinsch, H. Konishi, and M. El-Agaimy, "Oxidative stability of purified canola oil triacylglycerols with altered fatty acid compositions as affected by triacylglycerol composition and structure," Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, vol. 71, no. 10, pp. 1101-1109, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02675903
- D. Martin, and Z. Wang, "A comparative study of the impact of moisture on the dielectric capability of esters for large power transformers," in 2006 IEEE Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena, 2006.
- Y. Du, A.V. Mamishev, B.C. Lesieutre, M. Zahn, and S.-H. Kang, "Moisture solubility for differently conditioned transformer oils," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 805-811, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/94.959706
- D. Martin, N. Lelekakis, W. Guo, and Y. Odarenko, "Further studies of a vegetable-oil-filled power transformer," IEEE Electrical Insulation Magazine, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 6-13, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/MEI.2011.6059976
- H. Borsi, and E. Gockenbach, "Properties of ester liquid Midel 7131 as an alternative liquid to mineral oil for transformers," in IEEE International Conference on Dielectric Liquids, 2005. ICDL 2005., 2005.
- D. Martin, I. Khan, J. Dai, and Z. Wang, "An overview of the suitability of vegetable oil dielectrics for use in large power transformers," in TJ/H2b Euro TechCon Conf., Chester, UK, 2006.
- R. Liao, J. Hao, G. Chen, Z. Ma, and L. Yang, "A comparative study of physicochemical, dielectric and thermal properties of pressboard insulation impregnated with natural ester and mineral oil," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 1626-1637, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2011.6032833
- D. Martin, and Z. Wang, "Statistical analysis of the AC breakdown voltages of ester based transformer oils," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 1044-1050, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2008.4591226
- X. Wang, and Z. Wang, "Particle effect on breakdown voltage of mineral and ester based transformer oils," in 2008 Annual Report Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena, 2008.
- A. Tekin, and E.G. Hammond, "Factors affecting the electrical resistivity of soybean oil methyl ester," Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 281-283, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11746-000-0046-0
- R. Dunn, and M. Bagby, "Low-temperature properties of triglyceride-based diesel fuels: transesterified methyl esters and petroleum middle distillate/ester blends," Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, vol. 72, no. 8, pp. 895-904, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02542067
- A. Srivastava, and R. Prasad, "Triglycerides-based diesel fuels," Renewable and sustainable energy reviews, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 111-133, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1364-0321(99)00013-1
- A. S. Ramadhas, S. Jayaraj, and C. Muraleedharan, "Biodiesel production from high FFA rubber seed oil," Fuel, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 335-340, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2004.09.016
- T. Oommen, C. Claiborne, E. Walsh, and J. Baker, "A new vegetable oil based transformer fluid: development and verification," in Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena, 2000 Annual Report Conference on, 2000.