- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Optimal Power Control Strategy for Wind Farm with Energy Storage System
- Nguyen, Cong-Long (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Ecole de technologie superieure, University of Quebec) ;
- Lee, Hong-Hee (School of Electrical Engineering, University of Ulsan)
- Received : 2016.03.18
- Accepted : 2016.11.07
- Published : 2017.03.01
The use of energy storage systems (ESSs) has become a feasible solution to solve the wind power intermittency issue. However, the use of ESSs increases the system cost significantly. In this paper, an optimal power flow control scheme to minimize the ESS capacity is proposed by using the zero-phase delay low-pass filter which can eliminate the phase delay between the dispatch power and the wind power. In addition, the filter time constant is optimized at the beginning of each dispatching interval to ensure the fluctuation mitigation requirement imposed by the grid code with a minimal ESS capacity. And also, a short-term power dispatch control algorithm is developed suitable for the proposed power dispatch based on the zero-phase delay low-pass filter with the predetermined ESS capacity. In order to verify the effectiveness of the proposed power management approach, case studies are carried out by using a 3-MW wind turbine with real wind speed data measured on Jeju Island.
Energy storage systems (ESSs);Hybrid wind and energy storage system;Power flow control;Zero-phase low-pass filter;Fluctuation mitigation requirement (FMR)
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- C. L. Nguyen, H. H. Lee, and T. W. Chun, "Cost optimized battery capacity and short-term power dispatch control for wind farm," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 595-606, Jan./Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2014.2330073
- M. P. Akter, S. Mekhilef, N. M. L. Tan, and H. Akagi "Stability and performance investigations of model predictive controlled active-front-end (AFE) rectifiers for energy storage systems," Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 202-215, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.1.202
- C. Luo and B. T. Ooi, "Frequency deviation of thermal power plants due to wind farms," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 21, no. 3, pp.708-716, Sep. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2006.874210
- D. G. Francisco, S. Andreas, G. B. Oriol, and V. R. Roberto, "A review of energy storage technologies for wind power applications," Renew. & Sustain. Energy Reviews, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 2154-2171, May 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2012.01.029
- X. Y. Wang, D. V. Mahinda, and S. S. Choi, "Determination of battery storage capacity in energy buffer for wind farm," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 868-878, Sept. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2008.921556
- P. Poonpun and W. T Jewell, "Analysis of the cost per kilowatt hour to store electricity," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 529-534, June 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2007.914157
- X. Wang, M. Yue, E. Muljadi, and W. Gao "Probabilistic approach for power capacity specification of wind energy storage systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 50, no. 2, pp.1215-1224, Mar./Apr. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2013.2272753
- Q. Jiang and H. Wang, "Two-time-scale coordination control for a battery energy storage system to mitigate wind power fluctuations," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 52-61, Mar. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2012.2226463
- S. Teleke, M. E. Baran, S. Bhattacharya, and A. Q. Huang, "Optimal control of battery energy storage for wind farm dispatching," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 787-794, Sept. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2010.2041550
- Q. Li, S. S. Choi, Y. Yuan, and D. L. Yao, "On the determination of battery energy storage capacity and short-term power dispatch of a wind farm," IEEE Trans. Sustain. Energy, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 148-158, Apr. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2010.2095434
- C. L. Nguyen and H. H. Lee, "A comparative analysis among power dispatching control strategies for hybrid wind and energy storage system," in Proc. 20th int. conf. electrical engineering, ICEE 2014, pp. 489-494, Jun. 2014.
- Q. Jiang, Y. Gong, and H. Wang, "A battery energy storage system dual-layer control strategy for mitigating wind farm fluctuations," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 3263-3273, Aug. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2013.2244925
- C. L. Nguyen and H. H. Lee, "Optimization of wind power dispatch to minimize energy storage system capacity," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 1080-1088, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.3.1080
- C. L. Nguyen, and H. H. Lee, "An optimal power flow control strategy to minimize energy storage system capacity in wind power application," The Int. Smart Grid Conf. (ISGC 2015), Korea, pp.56-62, Oct. 2015.
- A. Uehara, A. Pratap, T. Goya, T. Senjyu, A. Yona, N. Urasaki, and T. Funabashi, "A coordinated control method to smooth wind power fluctuations of a PMSG-based WECS," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 550-558, Feb. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2011.2107912
- M. M. Chowdhury, M. E. Haque, M. Aktarujjaman, M. Negnevitsky, and A. Gargoom, "Grid integration impacts and energy storage systems for wind energy applications - A review," in Proc. IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting, pp. 1-8, Jul. 2011.
- M. Tsili and S. Papathanassiou, "A review of grid code technical requirements for wind farms," IET Renew. Power Generation, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 308-332, Sept. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg.2008.0070
- X. Xi, R. Sioshansi, and V. Marano, "A stochastic dynamic programming model for co-optimization of distributed energy storage," Energy Syst., vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 475-505, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12667-013-0100-6
- W. Wang, F. Wu, K. Zhao, L. Sun, J. Duan, and D. Sun, "Elimination of the state-of-charge errors for distributed battery energy storage devices in islanded droop-controlled microgrids", Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 1105-1118, Jul. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.4.1105
- F. Luo, K. Meng, Z. Y. Dong, Y. Zheng, Y. Chen, and K. P. Wong, "Coordinated operational planning for wind farm with battery energy storage system," IEEE Trans. Sustain. Energy, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 253-262, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2014.2367550
- B. Hartmann and A. Dan, "Methodologies for storage size determination for the integration of wind power," IEEE Trans. Sustain. Energy, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 182-189, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2013.2278423
- D. L. Yao, S. S. Choi, K. J. Tseng, and T. T. Lie, "Determination of short-term power dispatch schedule for a wind farm incorporated with dualbattery energy storage scheme," IEEE Trans. Sustain. Energy, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 74-84, Jan. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2011.2163092
- S. Chai, Z. Xu, L. L. Lai, and K. P. Wong, "An overview on wind power forecasting methods," in Proc. 2015 Int. Conf. on Machine Learning & Cybernetics, pp.765-770, July 2015.
- J. Wang and F. Yang, "Optimal capacity allocation of standalone wind/solar/battery hybrid power system based on improved particle swarm optimization algorithm," IET Renewable Power Gener., vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 443-448, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg.2012.0329
- A. J. Pryde and R. M. Phatarfod, "Multiplicities of eigenvalues of some linear search schemes," Linear Algebra Appl., vol. 291, no. 1, pp. 115-124, Apr. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0024-3795(98)10246-X
- General Specification of Vestas V112-3.0 MW 50/60Hz [Online]. Available: http://www.vestas.cz/files/V126-30.pdf