- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Reduced-Order Unscented Kalman Filter for Sensorless Control of Permanent-Magnet Synchronous Motor
- Moon, Cheol (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Kwon, Young Ahn (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2016.02.07
- Accepted : 2016.10.28
- Published : 2017.03.01
The unscented Kalman filter features a direct transforming process involving unscented transformation for removing the linearization process error that may occur in the extended Kalman filter. This paper proposes a reduced-order unscented Kalman filter for the sensorless control of a permanent magnet synchronous motor. The proposed method can reduce the computational load without degrading the accuracy compared to the conventional Kalman filters. Moreover, the proposed method can directly estimate the electrical rotor position and speed without a back-electromotive force. The proposed Kalman filter for the sensorless control of a permanent magnet synchronous motor is verified through the simulation and experimentation. The performance of the proposed method is evaluated over a wide range of operations, such as forward and reverse rotations in low and high speeds including the detuning parameters.
Unscented Kalman filter;Reduced order model;Unscented transformation;Sensorless speed control;Permanent-magnet synchronous motor
- H. Lin, K-Y. Hwang and B-I. Kwon, "An Improved Flux Observer for Sensorless Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor Drives with Parameter Identification," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 516-523, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.3.516
- H-W. Sim, J-S. Lee and K-B. Lee, "On-line parameter estimation of interior permanent magnet synchronous motor using an extended Kalman filter," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 600-608, March 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.2.600
- S. J. Julier, J. K. Uhlmann and H. F. Durrant-Whyte, "A new approach for filtering nonlinear systems," in Proc. American Control Conf., Seattle WA, YSA, 1995, pp. 1628-1632.
- S. J. Julier, "The scaled unscented transformation," in Proc. American Control Conf. 2002, vol. 6, 2002, pp 4555-4559.
- Y. H. Kim "High Performance IPMSM Drives without Rotational Position Sensors Using Reduced-Order EKF," IEEE Trans. Energy Conversion, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 868-873, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/60.815001
- M. C. Huang, A. J. Moses and F. Anayi, X. G. Yao, "Reduced-Order Linear Kalman Filter (RLKF) Theory in Application of Sensorless Control for Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor(PMSM)," in Conf. Rec. IEEE-ICIEA, 2006, pp. 1-6.
- J.-S. Jang, B.-G. Park, T.-S. Kim, D. M. Lee and D.-S. Hyun, "Parallel reduced-order extended Kalman filter for PMSM sensorless drives," in Proc. IEEE Ind. Electron. Soc. Annu. Conf., Nov. 2008, pp. 1326-1331.
- V. Smidl and Z. Peroutka, "Reduced-order squareroot EKF for sensorless control of PMSM drives," in Proc. IEEE Ind. Electron. Soc. Annu. Conf., Nov. 2011, pp. 2000-2005.
- M. Grewal and A. Andrews, Kalman Filtering: Theory and Practice Using MATLAB, 3nd Edition, Wiley-IEEE Press, 2008.
- Cheol Moon and Young Ahn Kwon, "Sensorless Speed Control of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor by Unscented Kalman Filter using Various Scaling Parameters," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 237-252, Mar, 2016
- S. Jafarzadeh, C. Lascu, and M. Fadali, "State estimation of induction motor drives using the unscented Kalman filter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 59, no. 11. pp. 4207-4216., Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2174533
- T.-F. Chna, P. Borsje, and W. Wang "Application of unscented Kalman filter to sensorless permanentmagnet synchronous motor drive," in IEEE Int. Conf. Electr. Machines Drives, Miami, FL, 2009, pp. 631-638.
- A Parameter Identification Method Based on Forgetting Factor Dynamic Adjustment for PMSM Applied to the Rapid Control of Satellite Attitude vol.14, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s42835-018-00049-x