- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Initial Firing Angle Control of Parallel Multi-Pulse Thyristor Dual Converter for Urban Railway Power Substations
- Kim, Sung-An (Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Dong-A University) ;
- Han, Sung-Wo (R&D Center of Busan Transportation Corporation) ;
- Cho, Yun-Hyun (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Dong-A University)
- Received : 2015.12.07
- Accepted : 2016.10.28
- Published : 2017.03.01
This paper presents an optimal initial firing angle control based on the energy consumption and regenerative energy of a parallel multi-pulse thyristor dual converter for urban railway power substations. To prevent short circuiting the thyristor dual converter, a hysteresis band for maintaining a zero-current discontinuous section (ZCDS) is essential during mode changes. During conversion from the ZCDS to forward or reverse mode, the DC trolley voltage can be stabilized by selecting the optimal initial firing angle without an overshoot and slow response. However, the optimal initial firing angle is different depending on the line impedance of each converter. Therefore, the control algorithm for tracking the optimal initial firing angle is proposed to eliminate the overshoot and slow response of DC trolley voltage. Simulations and experiments show that the proposed algorithm yields the fastest DC voltage control performance in the transient state by tracking the optimal firing angle.
Thyristor dual converter;Initial firing angle;DC voltage control;Power substations
Supported by : Korean Agency for infrastructure Technology Advancement, National Research Foundation of Korea
- Y. Jiang, J. Liu, W. Liu, W. Tian, M. Shahidehpour, and M. Krishnamurthy, "Energy harvesting for the electrification of railway stations: Getting a charge from the regenerative braking of trains. A," IEEE Electrification Mag., vol. 2, pp. 39-48, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/MELE.2014.2333561
- T. Ratniyomchai, S. Hillmansen, and P. Tricoli, "Recent developments and applications of energy storage devices in electrified railways," IET Electr. Syst. Transp., vol. 4, pp. 9-20, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-est.2013.0031
- M. Hasan Ali, B. Wu, and R. A. Dougal, "An overview of SMES applications in power and energy systems," IEEE Trans. Sustain. Energy, vol. 1, pp. 38-47, Apr. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2010.2044901
- T. A. Aanstoos, J. P. Kajs, W. G. Brinkman, H. P. Liu, A. Ouroua, R. J. Hayes, C. Hearn, J. Sarjeant, and H. Gill, "High voltage stator for a flywheel energy storage system," IEEE Trans. Magn., vol. 37, pp. 242-247, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/20.911830
- S. R. Gurumurthy, V. Agarwal, and A. Sharma, "Optimal energy harvesting from a high-speed brushless DC generator-based flywheel energy storage system," IET Electr. Syst. Transp., vol. 7, pp. 693-700, 2013.
- David J. Perreaul, John G. Kassakian. "Effects of firing angle imbalance on 12-pulse," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 10, no. 3, May. 1995.
- S. W. Han, S. K. Kim, S. H. Park, C. H. Lee, and H. Y. Yoo. "Development of Double Converter Substation with Control Algorithm and Parallel Operation Method for Electric Railway Power System," Conf. International Journal of Railway, pp. 223-228, 2015.
- S. W. Han, C. H. Lee, Y. W. Kim and D. O. Moon, "Control algorithm of thyristor dual converter power system for railway power substations," Transactions of the Korean Institute of Power Electronics, vol. 20, no.6, pp. 573-579. Dec. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/TKPE.2015.20.6.573
- S. A. Kim, G. J. Han, S. W. Han and Y. H. Cho, "Study on Parallel Operation Control of Dual Converter for Urban Railway DC Power Substations," Conf. KIEE, pp. 999-1000, July 2016.
- C. S. Jang, S. A. Kim, S. W. Han and Y. H. Cho, "A study on output characteristics according to initial firing angle of double converter," Conf. KIEE, pp. 978-979, July 2015.
- S. J. Jeong and S. H. Song, "Improvement of predictive current control performance using online parameter estimation in phase controlled rectifier," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 22, pp. 1820-1825, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.904235
- C. Lee, H. Liu, K. Hwang, S. Lee, H. Park, C. Kim, J. S. Oh, J. H. Suh, J. Choi, S. J. Jeong, and, S. H. Song, "A novel control for four-quadrant operation of ITER VS converter," in 2013 Int. Conf. Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS), pp. 1657-1661, 2013.
- A Study on Control Algorithm of Thyristor Dual Converter System for DC Electricity Supply of Urban Railway vol.14, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s42835-018-00057-x