- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Minimize Reactive Power Losses of Dual Active Bridge Converters using Unified Dual Phase Shift Control
- Wen, Huiqing (Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Eng., Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University, State Key Laboratory of Electrical Insulation and Power Equipment, Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Su, Bin (Hangzhou Electric Power Bureau, State Grid Corporation of China)
- Received : 2015.12.10
- Accepted : 2016.10.11
- Published : 2017.03.01
This paper proposed an unified dual-phase-shift (UDPS) control for dual active bridge (DAB) converters in order to improve efficiency for a wide output power range. Different operating modes of UDPS are characterized with respect to the reactive current distribution. The proposed UDPS has the same output power capability with conventional phase-shift (CPS) method. Furthermore, its implementation is simple since only the change of the leading phase-shift direction is required for different operating power range. The proposed UDPS control can minimize both the inductor rms current and the circulating reactive current for various voltage conversion ratios and load conditions. The optimal phase-shift pairs for two bridges of DAB converter are derived with respect to the comprehensive reactive power loss model, including the reactive components delivered from the load and back to the source. Simulation and experimental results are illustrated and explained with details. The effectiveness of the proposed method is verified in terms of reactive power losses minimization and efficiency improvement.
DC-DC converter;Phase shift control;Reactive power loss;Power characterization
Supported by : National Nature Science Foundation of China
- Engel, S.P.; Stieneker, M.; Soltau, N.; Rabiee, S.; Stagge, H.; De Doncker, R.W., "Comparison of the Modular Multilevel DC Converter and the Dual-Active Bridge Converter for Power Conversion in HVDC and MVDC Grids," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 124-137, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2310656
- Huiqing Wen; Weidong Xiao; Bin Su, "Nonactive Power Loss Minimization in a Bidirectional Isolated DC-DC Converter for Distributed Power Systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 61, no. 12, pp. 6822-6831, Dec. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2316229
- Ge, J.; Zhao, Z.; Yuan, L.; Lu, T., "Energy Feed-Forward and Direct Feed-Forward Control for Solid State Transformer," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., 2014, doi:10.1109/TPEL.2014.2382613. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2382613
- Hyun-Jun Choi, and Jee-Hoon Jung, "Practical Design of Dual Active Bridge Converter as Isolated Bidirectional Power Interface for Solid State Transformer Applications," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 11. No, 5, pp. 1265-1273, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2016.11.5.1265
- Krismer, F.; Kolar, J. W., "Efficiency-Optimized High-Current Dual Active Bridge Converter for Automotive Applications," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 59, no. 7, pp. 2745-2760, July 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2112312
- Naayagi, R. T.; Forsyth, A. J.; Shuttleworth, R., "Bidirectional control of a dual active bridge DC-DC converter for aerospace applications," IET Power Electron., vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 1104-1118, August 2012. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2011.0278
- Rodriguez, A.; Vazquez, A.; Lamar, D. G.; Hernando, M. M.; Sebastian, J., "Different Purpose Design Strategies and Techniques to Improve the Performance of a Dual Active Bridge With Phase-Shift Control," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 790-804, Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2309853
- C. Mi, H. Bai, C. Wang, and S. Gargies, "Operation, design and control of dual H-bridge-based isolated bidirectional DC-DC converter," IET Power Electron., vol. 1, pp. 507-517, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel:20080004
- Engel, S. P.; Soltau, N.; Stagge, H.; De Doncker, R.W., "Improved Instantaneous Current Control for High-Power Three-Phase Dual-Active Bridge DCDC Converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 4067-4077, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2283868
- Biao Zhao; Qiang Song; Wenhua Liu; Yandong Sun, "Overview of Dual-Active-Bridge Isolated Bidirectional DC-DC Converter for High-Frequency-Link Power-Conversion System," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 4091-4106, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2289913
- Xiaodong Li; Yi-Fan Li, "An Optimized Phase-Shift Modulation For Fast Transient Response in a Dual-Active-Bridge Converter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 2661-2665, June 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2294714
- G. G. Oggier, Garci, x, G. O. a, and A. R. Oliva, "Modulation Strategy to Operate the Dual Active Bridge DC-DC Converter Under Soft Switching in the Whole Operating Range," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 26, pp. 1228-1236, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2072966
- B. Hua and C. Mi, "Eliminate Reactive Power and Increase System Efficiency of Isolated Bidirectional Dual-Active-Bridge DC-DC Converters Using Novel Dual-Phase-Shift Control," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 23, pp. 2905-2914, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2005103
- Wen, H.; Su, B.; Xiao, W., "Design and performance evaluation of a bidirectional isolated dc-dc converter with extended dual-phaseshift scheme," IET Power Electron., vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 914-924, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2012.0545
- Yu Du; Lukic, S. M.; Jacobson, B. S.; Huang, A. Q., "Modulation Technique to Reverse Power Flow for the Isolated Series Resonant DC-DC Converter With Clamped Capacitor Voltage," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol.59, no.12, pp. 4617-4628, Dec. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2175669
- Jong-Woo Kim; Gun-Woo Moon, "A New LLC Series Resonant Converter with a Narrow Switching Frequency Variation and Reduced Conduction Losses," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 4278-4287, Dec. 2012.
- Wei Chen; Ping Rong; Zhengyu Lu, "Snubberless Bidirectional DC-DC Converter With New CLLC Resonant Tank Featuring Minimized Switching Loss," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 57, no. 9, pp. 3075-3086, Sept. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2037099
- Z. Biao, Y. Qingguang, and S. Weixin, "Extended-Phase-Shift Control of Isolated Bidirectional DC-DC Converter for Power Distribution in Microgrid," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 27, pp. 4667-4680, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2180928
- M. Kim, M. Rosekeit, S.-K. Sul, and R. W. A. A. De Doncker, "A dual-phase-shift control strategy for dual-active-bridge DC-DC converter in wide voltage range," in Proc. IEEE ICPE & ECCE, 2011, pp. 364-371.
- Huiqing Wen, "Reactive power loss optimization method for bi-directional isolated DC-DC converters," in Proc. IEEE IPEC & ECCE, 2014, pp. 702-706, 18-21.
- W. A. Roshen, "A practical, accurate and very general core loss model for nonsinusoidal waveforms," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 30-40, Jan. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.886608
- Huiqing Wen, Bin Su, "Operating modes and practical power flow analysis of bidirectional isolated power interface for distributed power systems," Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 111, pp. 229-238, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2015.12.071