- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Applicability Comparison of Transmission Line Parameter Extraction Methods for Busbar Distribution Systems
- Hasirci, Zeynep (Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Karadeniz Technical University) ;
- Cavdar, Ismail Hakki (Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Karadeniz Technical University) ;
- Ozturk, Mehmet (Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Karadeniz Technical University)
- Received : 2016.08.30
- Accepted : 2016.12.28
- Published : 2017.03.01
Modeling busbar distribution system as a transmission line is an important subject of power line communication in the smart grid concept. This requires extraction of busbar RLGC parameters, accurately. In this study, a comparison is made between conventional and modified method for the aspect of optimum RLGC parameters extraction in the 1 MHz to 50 MHz frequency band. The usefulness of these methods is shown both in time and frequency-domain analysis. The frequency-domain analyzes show that the inherent power of modified method can eliminate the errors especially due to the discontinuities arise in conventional method. This makes the modeling approach of modified method more advantageous for the busbars due to its robustness against disturbances in the S-parameters measurements which cannot be eliminated with the calibration procedure. On the other hand, time-domain simulations show that the transmission line representation of the modified method is closer to physical reality by handling causality issues.
Busbar distribution system;Causality;Conventional method;Modified method;Parameter extraction;Power line communication;Smart grid;Transmission line model
Supported by : TUBITAK (The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey)
- Z. Hasirci and I. H. Cavdar, "Modeling of high power busbar systems for power line communications," presented at IEEE International Energy Conference (ENERGYCON2014), Dubrovnik, Croatia, 2014.
- Z. Hasirci, I. H. Cavdar, N. Suljanovic, and A. Mujcic, "Investigation of Current Variation Effect on PLC Channel Characteristics of LV High Power Busbar Systems," presented at The 5th IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT) European 2014 Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, 2014.
- M. K. Sampath, "On addressing the practical issues in the extraction of RLGC parameters for lossy multi-conductor transmission lines using S-parameter models," presented at Electrical Performance of Electronic Packaging (IEEE-EPEP2008), San Jose, USA, 2008.
- R. B. Marks, "A multiline method of network analyzer calibration," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., vol. 39, pp. 1205-1215, 1991 (current ver. 2002). https://doi.org/10.1109/22.85388
- J. Kim, and D. H. Han, "Hybrid method for frequency-dependent lossy coupled transmission line characterization and modelling," presented at 12th Topical Meeting on Electrical Performance of Electronic Packaging (IEEE-EPEP 2003), Princeton, USA, 2003.
- K. Narita, and T. Kushta, "An accurate experimental method for characterizing transmission lines embedded in multilayer printed circuit boards," IEEE Trans. on Adv. Packaging, vol. 29, pp. 114-121, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TADVP.2005.849543
- R. Papazyan, P. Petterson, H. Edin, R. Eriksson, and U. Gafvert, "Extraction of high frequency power cable characteristics from S-parameter measurements," IEEE Trans. on Dielectrics and Insulation, vol. 11, pp. 461-470, 2004.
- R. B. Marks, and D. F. Williams, "Characteristic impedance determination using propagation constant measurement," IEEE Microwave Guided Wave Lett., vol. 1, pp. 141-143, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/75.91092
- S. B. Goldberg, M. B. Steer, and P. D. Franzon, "Experimental Electrical Characterization of Interconnects and Discontinuities in High-Speed Digital Systems," IEEE Trans. Comp. Packag. Manufact. Technol., vol. 14, pp. 761-765, 1991.
- D. F. Williams, J. E. Rogers, and C. L. Holloway, "Multiconductor transmission - line characterization: representations, approximations, and accuracy," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., vol. 47, pp. 403-409, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/22.754872
- G. Chen, L. Zhu, and K. Melde, "Extraction of frequency dependent RLCG parameters of the packaging interconnects on low-loss substrates from frequency domain measurements," presented at 14th Topical Meeting on Electrical Performance of Electronic Packaging (IEEE-EPEP 2005), Austin, USA, 2005.
- J. Kim, D. Han, "Hybrid method for frequencydependent lossy coupled transmission line characterization and modeling," presented at Electrical Performance of Electronic Packaging (EPEP2003), Princeton, USA, 2003.
- A. Deutsch, G. Arjavalingam, G. V. Kopcsay, "Characterization of resistive transmission lines by short-pulse propagation," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Lett., vol. 2, pp. 25-27, 1992 (current ver. 2002). https://doi.org/10.1109/75.109132
- P. Ferrari, B. Flechet, and G. Angenieux, "Time domain characterization of lossy arbitrary characteristic impedance transmission lines," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Lett., vol. 4, pp. 177-179, 1994 (current ver. 2002). https://doi.org/10.1109/75.294284
- W. Kim, S. Lee, M. Seo, M. Swaminathan, and R. Tummala, "Determination of propagation constants of transmission lines using 1-port tdr measurements," presented at 59th ARFTG Conference Digest, Seattle, USA, 2002.
- M. J. Degerstrom, B. K. Gilbert, and E. S. Daniel, "Accurate resistance, inductance, capacitance, and conductance (RLCG) from uniform transmission line measurements," presented at Electrical Performance of Electronic Packaging (IEEE-EPEP2008), San Jose, USA, 2008.
- J. Zhang, Q. B. Chen, Z. Qiu, J. L. Drewniak, and A. Orlandi, "Extraction of causal RLGC models from measurements for signal link path analysis," presented at 2008 International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility - EMC Europe, Hamburg, Germany, 2008.
- J. Zhang, J. L. Drewniak, D. J. Pommerenke, M. Y. Koledintseva, R. E. Dubroff, W. Cheng, Z. Yang, Q. B. Chen, and A. Orlandi, "Causal RLGC(f) models for transmission lines from measured S-parameters," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, vol. 52, pp. 189-198, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEMC.2009.2035055
- J. Zhang, M. Y. Koledintseva, J. L. Drewniak, G. Antonini, and A. Orlandi, "Extracting R, L, G, C parameters of dispersive planar transmission lines from measured S-parameters using a genetic algorithm," presented at International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, EMC 2004, Eindhoven, Netherlands, 2004.
- Z. Q. Chen, and S. J. Chun, "Per-unit-length RLGC extraction using a lumped port De-embedding method for application on periodically loaded transmission lines," presented at 56th Electronic Components & Technology Conference, San Diego, USA, 2006.
- R. L. Wigington, and N. S. Nahman, "Transient analysis of coaxial cables considering skin effect," in Proc. 1957 IRE, pp. 166-174.
- T. R. Arabi, A. T. Murphy, and T. K. Sarkar, and R.F. Harrington, "On the modeling of conductor and substrate losses in multiconductor, multidielectric transmission line systems," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., vol. 39, pp. 1090-1097, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/22.85374
- C. Svensson, and G. E. Dermer, "Time-domain modeling of lossy interconnects," IEEE Trans. Adv. Packag., vol. 24, pp. 191-196, 2001.
- EAE Company, Turkey, "E-Line KX Busbar Power Distribution System (datasheet)," 57 pages. [Online] Cited 2016-07-15
- Z. Hasirci and I. H. Cavdar, "Extraction of narrowband propagation properties of a 630 A current level busbar," presented at 39th International Conference on Telecommunications and Signal Processing (TSP 2016), Vienna, Austria, 2016.
- Z. Hasirci, I. H. Cavdar, and M. Ozturk, "Estimation of propagation parameters for aluminum busbar up to 500 kHz, " presented at International Symposium on Innovations in Intelligent Systems and Applications (INISTA 2016), Sinaia, Romania, 2016.
- R. Achar and M. Nakhla, "Simulation of high-speed interconnects," in Proc. of the IEEE, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 693-728, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/5.929650
- W. R. Eisenstadt and Y. Eo, "S-parameter-based IC interconnect transmission line characterization," IEEE Trans. Compon., Hybrids, Manufac. Technol., vol. 15, pp. 483-489, 1992 (current ver. 2002). https://doi.org/10.1109/33.159877
- W. Kim, J. H. kim, D. Oh, and C. Yuan, "S-parameters based transmission line modeling with accurate low-frequency response," in Proc. 2006 IEEE 15th Topical Meeting, pp. 79-82.
- DuPont Teijin Films, http://usa.dupontteijinfilms.com/informationcenter/downloads/Electrical_Propert ies.pdf, Last Access Date: 18 Aug. 2016.
- D. M. Pozar, "Microwave Engineering," New York: Wiley, 1998.
- J. Kennedy, and R. C. Eberhart, "Particle swarm optimization," in Proc. 1995, IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, pp. 1942-1948.