- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Utilization of Energy Storage System based on the Assessment of Area of Severity in Islanded Microgrid
- Lee, Kyebyung (School of Electrical Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Yoon, Minhan (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Tongmyong University) ;
- Park, Chang-Hyun (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Pukyong National University) ;
- Jang, Gilsoo (School of Electrical Engineering, Korea University)
- Received : 2016.07.09
- Accepted : 2016.12.25
- Published : 2017.03.01
This paper proposes a method to utilize an energy storage system (ESS) based on the assessment of an area of severity (AOS) to voltage sag. The AOS is defined as a set of the fault positions that can cause voltage sags at many buses simultaneously. The assessment of AOS helps to determine an optimal location of ESS installation to minimize the expected sag frequency (ESF) at concerned buses. The ESS has the ability not only to play traditionally known roles but also to mitigate voltage sag impact on renewable energy sources (RES) in the islanded microgrid. Accordingly, using the proposed method the ESS has additional features to prevent the operation failure of RESs and improve the stability of the microgrid. In order to verify the presented method, a case study was conducted on the sample microgrid system that is modified from an IEEE 57-bus system.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning(KETEP)
- R. H. Lasseter and P. Piagi, "Providing Premium Power through Distributed Resources," in Proc. the 33rd Hawaii International Conf. on System Sciences, pp. 1437-1445, Jan. 4-7 2000.
- F. Katiraei, R. Iravani, N. Hatziargyriou, and A. Dimeas "Microgrids Management," IEEE power & energy magazine, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 54-65, May/June 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/MPE.2008.918702
- J. A. Pecas Lopes, C. L. Moreira, and A. G. Madureira, "Defining Control Strategies for Micro-Grids Islanded Operation," IEEE Trans. Power Systems, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 916-924, May 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2006.873018
- N. Jayawarna, C. Jones, M. Barnes, and Nick Jenkins, "Operating MicroGrid Energy Storage Control during Network Faults," in Proc. 2007 IEEE International Conference on System of Systems Engineering, pp. 1-7, Apr. 16-18 2007.
- M. Ghofrani, A. Arabali, M. Etezadi-Amoli, and Mohammed Sami Fadali, "A Framework for Optimal Placement of Energy Storage Units within a Power System with High Wind Penetration", IEEE Trans. Sustainable Energy, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 434-442, April 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2012.2227343
- J.-H. Teng, C.-Y. Chen, and I. C. Martinez, "Utilising Energy Storage Systems to Mitigate Power System Vulnerability", IET Gener. Transm. Distrib., vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 790-798, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2012.0694
- Johan Driesen and F. Katiraei, "Design for Distributed Energy Resources," IEEE power & energy magazine, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 33-39, May/June 2008.
- M. C. Chandorkar, D. M. Divan, and R. Adapa, "Control of Parallel Connected Inverters in Standalone ac Supply systems," IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 136-143, Jan./Feb. 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.195899
- C. L. Moreira, F. O. Resende, and J. A. Pecas Lopes, "Using Low Voltage MicroGrids for Service Restoration," IEEE Trans. Power Systems, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 395-403, Feb. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2006.888989
- C. H. Park and G. Jang, "Stochastic Estimation of Voltage Sags in a Large Meshed Network," IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 1655-1664, Jul. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2006.886795
- M. H. J. Bollen, Understanding Power Quality Problems: Voltage Sags and Interruptions, ser. IEEE Power Eng. Ser. Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press, 2000.
- C. H. Park, J. H. Hong, and G. Jang, "Assessment of System Voltage Sag Performance based on the Concept of Area of Severity" IET Gener. Transm. Distrib., vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 683-693, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2009.0492
- X. Tan, Q. Li, H. Wanga, "Advances and Trends of Energy Storage Technology in Microgrid," International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 179-191, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2012.07.015
- P. E. Pascoe and A. H. Anbuky, "A VRLA Battery Simulation Model," Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 45, no. 7-8, pp. 1015-1041, May 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2003.08.014
- Farret Felix A., and Marcelo Godoy Simoes, Integration of Alternative Sources of Energy, IEEE PRESS, 2006.
- IEEE 57-Bus Test Case, [Online]. Available: http://www.ee.washington.edu/research/pstca/pf57/pg_tca57bus.htm