- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Novel Procedure for Protection Setting in an HVDC System Based on Fault Quantities
- Gao, Benfeng (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, North China Electric Power University) ;
- Zhang, Ruixue (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, North China Electric Power University) ;
- Zhang, Xuewei (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, North China Electric Power University)
- Received : 2016.03.19
- Accepted : 2016.11.22
- Published : 2017.03.01
HVDC protection setting is difficult to be calculated analytically because of its strong nonlinearity. The currently used setting method is based on the empirical setting of previous projects and then verified by digital simulation. It entails a huge workload and low efficiency. To facilitate protection setting, this paper systematically summarizes the HVDC protection characteristics and then presents a classification of HVDC protections according to the protection principles. On the basis of the fault quantities, a novel setting procedure suitable for travelling wave protection, derivative and level protection, and differential protection is proposed. The proposed procedure is illustrated and verified in detail with the example of travelling wave protection. An HVDC protection setting system that has the functions of automatic protection setting and data management is developed utilizing the C# programming language.
HVDC;Protection setting;Procedure;Fault quantities;PSCAD/EMTDC
- R. Rudervall, J. P. Charpentier, R. "Sharma. High voltage direct current (HVDC) transmission systems technology review paper," Energy week 2000, 5.
- M. Karthikeyan, Y. M. Yeap, A. Ukil. "Simulation and analysis of faults in high voltage DC (HVDC) power transmission," IECON 2014 - 40th Annual Conference of the IEEE, pp. 1786-1791, 2014.
- P. Bresesti, W. L. Kling, R. L. Hendriks, R. Vailati. "HVDC connection of offshore wind farms to the transmission system," IEEE Trans. Energy Conversion, vol. 22, pp. 37-43, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2006.889624
- Y. P. Li, D. G. Wang, A. P. Hu, W. Wang, Z. Q. Yao. "Real-time simulation study on HVDC control and protection," 2010 International Conference on Power System Technology, pp. 1-6, 2010.
- M. Ikhide, S. Tennakoon, A. Griffiths, S. Subramanian, H. Ha. "Fault detection in Multi-Terminal Modular Multilevel Converter (MMC) based High Voltage DC (HVDC) transmission system," IEEE Power Engineering Conference 2015 50th International University, pp. 1-6, 2015.
- A. Hamerulaine, S-A Zidi, A. Kouzou, M.A. Djehaf. "Improvement of the HVDC link performances based on the protection functions," IEEE international Conference on Industrial Technology, pp. 2714-2720, 2015.
- Rui Li, Lie Xu, D. Holliday, F. Page, S J. Finney, B. W. Williams. "Continuous operarion of radial multitermianl HVDC systems under DC fault," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 31, pp. 351-361, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2015.2471089
- J. Sneath, A. Rajapakse. "Fault detection and interruption in an earthed HVDC grid using ROCOV and hybrid DC breakers," IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting, pp. 1-1, 2015.
- Shuxin Luo, Xinzhou Dong, Shenxing Shi, Bin Wang. "A directional protection scheme for HVDC transmission on lines based on reactive energy," IEEE transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 30, pp.1-9, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2015.2478277
- Zhao Li, Guibin Zou, Bingbing Tong, Houlei Gao, Qian Feng. "Novel traveling wave protection method for high voltage DC transmission line," IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting, pp.1-5, 2015.
- B. Geebelen, W. Leterme, D. Van Hertem. "Analysis of DC breaker requirements for different HVDC grid protection schemes," IET International Conference on AC and DC Power Transmission, pp.1-7, 2015.
- J. Jin. "Protection of HVDC transmission lines based on wavelet transformation and analysis of energy spectrum," 2013 2nd International Symposium on Instrumentation and Measurement, Sensor Network and Automation, pp. 180-185, 2013.
- D. Naidoo, N.M. Ijumba. "A protection system for long HVDC transmission lines," IEEE Power Engineering Society Inaugural 2005 Conference and Exposition in Africa, pp. 150-155, 2005.
- H. A. Darwish, M. A. Rahman, A. I. Taalab, H. Shaaban. "Overcurrent relay with novel characteristics for HVDC converter protection," Electrical and Computer Engineering, vol.2, pp. 664-667, 1995.
- T. X. Zhu, H. Y. Zhou, J. Yu, J. Y. Huang. "The analysis on a successive forced outage in chu-sui HVDC system caused by DC line fault," IEEE PES Transmission and Distribution Conference and Exposition (T&D), pp. 1-4, 2012.
- J. L. Suonan, S. P. Gao, G. B. Song, Z. B. Jiao, X. N. Kang. "A novel fault-location method for HVDC transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Power Deliv., vol. 25, pp. 1203-1209, 2010.
- D.H. Liu, Y.H. Li, D.Y. Shi, C. Fu, X.Z. Duan. "Study on setting preparative parameter of HVDC system protection," Automation of Electric Power System, vol. 35, pp. 47-51, 2011.
- X. Liu, A.H. Osman, O.P. Malik. "Hybrid traveling wave/boundary protection for monopolar HVDC line," IEEE Trans. Power Deliv., vol. 24, pp. 569-578, 2009.
- Huang Zhiling, Tian Jie. "EMTDC simulation of based on detailed control model of HVDC system," Automation of Electric Power System, vol. 32, pp. 45-48, 2008.
- D. Naidoo, N.M. Ijumba. "HVDC line protection for the proposed future HVDC systems," International Conference on Power System Technology, vol. 2, pp. 1327-1332, 2004.
- K. L. Han, Z. X. Cai, Y. Liu. "Study on protective performance of HVDC transmission line protection with different types of line fault," Electric Utility Deregulation and Restructuring and Power Technologies, pp. 358-361, 2011.