- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Methodology of Cyber Security Assessment in the Smart Grid
- Woo, Pil Sung (Electrical Safety Research Institute, Korea Electric Safety CO.) ;
- Kim, Balho H. (Dept. of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, Hongik University)
- Received : 2016.06.30
- Accepted : 2016.10.25
- Published : 2017.03.01
The introduction of smart grid, which is an innovative application of digital processing and communications to the power grid, might lead to more and more cyber threats originated from IT systems. In other words, The Energy Management System (EMS) and other communication networks interact with the power system on a real time basis, so it is important to understand the interaction between two layers to protect the power system from potential cyber threats. This paper aims to identify and clarify the cyber security risks and their interaction with the power system in Smart Grid. In this study, the optimal power flow (OPF) and Power Flow Tracing are used to assess the interaction between the EMS and the power system. Through OPF and Power Flow Tracing based analysis, the physical and economic impacts from potential cyber threats are assessed, and thereby the quantitative risks are measured in a monetary unit.
Smart grid;Cyber threat;Information security;Energy management system;Optimal power flow;Power flow tracing;Analytic hierarchy process;Power system
Supported by : National Research Foundation
- Sang Sun Hwang, Pil Sung Woo, Balho H. Kim, "Analysis of the Impact of Cyber Attacks on Energy Management Systems in Smart Grid Environment," International Journal of Smart Drid and Clean Energy, Jun. 2016.
- Pil Sung Woo, Don Hur, Balho H. Kim, "Towards Cyber Security Risks Assessment in Electric Utility SCADA Systems," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, May. 2015.
- M. Negrete-Pincetic, F. Yoshida, and G. Gross, "Towards Quantifying the Impacts of Cyber Attacks in the Competitive Electricity Market Environment," in Proceedings of IEEE Power Tech Conference, Romania, July. 2009.
- SANS Institute InfoSec Reading Room, "Vulnerability Assessment," July. 2001
- Vulnerability Assessment, Wikipedia.
- S. Massoud Amin, "Cyber and Critical Infrastructure Security: Toward Smarter and More Secure Power and Energy Infrastructures," Canada-U.S. Workshop on Smart Grid Technologies at Vancouver, March. 25, 2010.
- S. P. Hong, "Introduction to Information Security," Gilbut, 2004.
- P. Burris and C. King, "A Few Good Security Metrics," METAGroup Inc., October. 11, 2000.
- Analytic Hierarchy Assessment, Wikipedia
- Ernest H. Forman, "Decision by Objective: Analytical Hierarchy Process,"
- Balho H. Kim, Ross Baldick, "Coarse-Grained Distributed Optimal Power Flow," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, May. 1997.
- Feliz Felix F. Wu, Yixin Ni, Ping Wei, "Power Transfer Allocation for Open Access Using Graph Theory-Fundamentals and Applications in Systems Without Loopflow," IEEE transactions on power systems, vol. 15, No. 3, 2000.
- Korea Electrotechnology Research Institute and Incheon National University, "A Study to Investigate Industrial Customer Interruption Cost for Power System Planning," Ministry of Commerce Industry and Energy, February. 2008.
- Korea Electrotechnology Research Institute and Seoul National University, "A Study to Establish the Range of Reasonable Compensation for Damages due to Power Outages by the Level of Electricity Price and Develop Strategies for Hedging Risks," Marketing Department, Korea Electric Power Corporation, April. 2011.
- Research on the Evaluation Model of a Smart Grid Development Level Based on Differentiation of Development Demand vol.10, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/su10114047
- A new model approach of electrical cyber physical systems considering cyber security pp.19314973, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/tee.22798