- Volume 32 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Road Cross Section Component Affecting Traffic Accident Severity on National Highway
국도상 교통사고 심각도에 영향을 미치는 횡단구성 요소 분석
- Received : 2017.10.27
- Accepted : 2017.11.28
- Published : 2017.12.31
According to traffic accidents statistics, the number of fatalities, injuries and the rate of increase of traffic accidents have been decreasing over last 5-years. The fatality rate is 1.9 for total accidents but the fatality rate for single vehicle accidents shows a 7.9, which is 4 times greater than the average for all accidents. Single vehicle accidents, usually occur as a vehicle impacts a fixed objects on the roadside as the vehicle runs-off from the road. However, few researches have been conducted considering the accident severity of single vehicle accidents which impact to the fixed objects on the road. The single vehicle accident is directly related to the composition of road cross section, (since it is the required the minimum width of a road for all run-off-the-road vehicles to recover or come to a safe stop). Therefore, this study analyzes the influence of road cross section on traffic accidents to find out the severity of single vehicle accident. To analyze the road elements which are related to the accident severity, the Ordered Probit Model was used. As variables, the element of road cross section such as the radius(m), vertical curve(%), cross sectional grade(%), road width(m). number of climbing lane, median, and curb, were used (as was the 3-years of accidents data). This study found out that cross slope(%), road width(m), and the number of climbing lane are related to the severity of accident. The result of this study could be expected to improve the road safety and to be used as the base data for further road safety research.
traffic accident;accident severity ordered probit model;traffic accident data
- KoRoad, 2016 Traffic Accident Statistical, 2015.
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport. Regulation on Geometric design/Facilities Standards of Roads, 2013,
- J. Y. Lee, J. H. Jung and B. S. Son, "Analysis of Traffic Accident Severity for Korean Highway Using Structural Equations Model", Journal of Korean Society of Transportation, Vol.26, No.2, pp.17-24, 2008.
- K. S. Hwang, J. S. Choi, S. Y. Kim, T. Y. Huh, W. B. Jo and Y. S. Kim, "Freeway Crash Frequency Model Development Based on the Road Section Segmentation by Using Vehicle Speeds", Journal of Korean Society of Transportation Vol. 28, No. 2, pp.151-159, 2010.
- C. S. Lim and Y. W. Choi, "Analysis on the Driving Safety and Investment Effect using Severity Model of Fatal Traffic Accidents", Journal of Korean Society of Transportation, Vol.29, No.3, pp.103-113, 2011.
- J. Hong, K. Kim and S. Lee, "Developing the Accident Injury Severity on a Field of Construction Work using Ordered Probit Model", Journal of the Korean Society of Safety, Vol.26, No.2. pp.89-98, 2011.
- S. R. Moon, Y. I. Lee and S. B. Lee, "Developing a Traffic Accident Prediction Model for Freeway", Journal of Korean Society of Transportation, Vol.30, No.2. pp.101-116, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7470/jkst.2012.30.2.101
- M. Y. Lee, T. Y. Kim and B. H. Park, "Traffic Accident Model of Urban Rotary and Roundabout by Type of Collision based on Land Use", Journal of the Korean Society of Safety, Vol. 32, No. 4. pp.107-113, 2017.
- M. A. Abedel-Aty and A. E. Radwan, "Modeling Traffic Accident Occurrence and Involvement", Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 32, pp.633-642, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0001-4575(99)00094-9
- K. K. W. Yau , "Risk Factors Affecting the Severity of Single Vehicle Traffic Accidents in Hong Kong", Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 36, Issue 3, pp.333-340, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0001-4575(03)00012-5
- C. Zhang and J. Ivan, "Effects of Geometric Characteristics on Head-on Crash Incidence on Two lane Roads in Connecticut", Transportation Research Record : Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 1908, pp.159-164, 2005. https://doi.org/10.3141/1908-19
- C. Caliendo, M. Cuida and A. Parisi, "A Crash-Prediction Model for Multilane Roads", Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 39, Issue 4, pp.657-670, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2006.10.012
- A. Montella, L. Colantuoni and R. Lamberti, "Crash Prediction Models for Rural Motorways", Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2083, pp.180-189, 2008. https://doi.org/10.3141/2083-21
- X. Jiang, B. Huang, R. L. Zaretzki, S. Richards, X. Yan and H. Zhang, "Investigating the Influence of Curbs on Single-vehicle Crash Injury Severity Utilizing Zero-inflated Ordered Probit Models", Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 57, pp.55-66, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2013.03.018
- S. W. Lee, Logit and Probit Model, 2005.
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, Development of Next Generation Equipment for Road Safety Inspection, 2012.
- M. H. Park, "Longitudinal Methods for Prioritizing Highway Safety Investments", The Pennsylvania State University, 2013.
Supported by : 국토교통부