- Volume 17 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Study on Current Curriculum Analysis of Clinical Dental Hygiene for Dental Hygiene Students in Korea
국내 치위생(학)과 임상치위생학 교육과정 운영현황 분석
- Choi, Yong-Keum (Department of Dental Hygiene, College of Health Science, Sun Moon University) ;
- Han, Yang-Keum (Department of Dental Hygiene, Daejeon Health Institute of Technology) ;
- Bae, Soo-Myoung (Department of Dental Hygiene, College of Dentistry and Research Institute of Oral Science, Gangneung-Wonju National University) ;
- Kim, Jin (Department of Dental Hygiene, Hallym Polytechnic University) ;
- Kim, Hye-Jin (Department of Dental Hygiene, Dong-Eui University) ;
- Ahn, Se-Youn (Department of Dental Hygiene, Dongnam Health University) ;
- Lim, Kun-Ok (Department of Dental Hygiene, College of Health Science, Sun Moon University) ;
- Lim, Hee Jung (Department of Dental Hygiene, Eulji University) ;
- Jang, Sun-Ok (Department of Dental Hygiene, Hallym Polytechnic University) ;
- Jang, Yun-Jung (Department of Dental Hygiene, College of Health and Medical Science, Howon University) ;
- Jung, Jin-Ah (Department of Dental Hygiene, Gwangyang Health Sciences University) ;
- Jeon, Hyun-Sun (Department of Dental Hygiene, Yeoju Institiute of Technology) ;
- Park, Ji-Eun (Dental Center, Ewha Womans University Mokdong Hosptial) ;
- Lee, Hyo-Jin (Department of Preventive and Social Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Seoul National University) ;
- Shin, Bo-Mi (Department of Dental Hygiene, College of Dentistry and Research Institute of Oral Science, Gangneung-Wonju National University)
- 최용금 (선문대학교 건강보건대학 치위생학과) ;
- 한양금 (대전보건대학교 치위생과) ;
- 배수명 (강릉원주대학교 치과대학 치위생학과 및 구강과학연구소) ;
- 김진 (한림성심대학교 치위생과) ;
- 김혜진 (동의대학교 치위생학과) ;
- 안세연 (동남보건대학교 치위생과) ;
- 임근옥 (선문대학교 건강보건대학 치위생학과) ;
- 임희정 (을지대학교 치위생학과) ;
- 장선옥 (한림성심대학교 치위생과) ;
- 장윤정 (호원대학교 보건의료대학 치위생학과) ;
- 정진아 (광양보건대학교 치위생과) ;
- 전현선 (여주대학교 치위생과) ;
- 박지은 (이화여자대학교 의과대학 부속 목동병원 치과진료부) ;
- 이효진 (서울대학교 치의학대학원 예방치학교실) ;
- 신보미 (강릉원주대학교 치과대학 치위생학과 및 구강과학연구소)
- Received : 2017.10.16
- Accepted : 2017.11.21
- Published : 2017.12.31
The purpose of this study was to provide basic data to standardize the clinical dental hygiene curriculum, based on analysis of current clinical dental hygiene curricula in Korea. We emailed questionnaires to 12 schools to investigate clinical dental hygiene curricula, from February to March, 2017. We analyzed the clinical dental hygiene curricula in 5 schools with a 3-year program and in 7 schools with a 4-year program. The questionnaire comprised nine items on topics relating to clinical dental hygiene, and four items relating to the dental hygiene process and oral prophylaxis. The questionnaire included details regarding the subject name, the grade/semester/credit system, course content and class hours, the number of senior professors, and the number of patients available for dental hygiene clinical training purposes. In total, there were 96 topics listed in the curricula relating to clinical dental hygiene training, and topics varied between the schools. There was an average of 20.4 topic credits, and more credits and hours were allocated to the 4-year program than to the 3-year program. On average, the ratio of students to professors was 21.4:1. Course content included infection control, concepts for dental hygiene processes, dental hygiene assessment, intervention and evaluation, case studies, and periodontal instrumentation. An average of 2 hours per patient was spent on dental hygiene practice, with an average of 1.9 visits. On average, student clinical training involved 19 patients and 26.6 patients in the 3-year and 4-year programs, respectively. The average participation time per student per topic was 38.0 hours and 53.1 hours, in the 3-year and 4-year programs, respectively. Standardizing the clinical dental hygiene curricula in Korea will require consensus guidelines on topics, the number of classes required to achieve core competencies as a dental hygienist, and theory and practice time.
Supported by : 대한치위생(학)과 교수협의회
- Han SY, Kim NH, Yoo JH, Kim CS, Chung WG: Current status of clinical dental hygiene education based on dental hygiene process of care. J Dent Hyg Sci 9: 271-278, 2009.
- Lee SY, Cho YS: Review on theoretical background and components of dental hygiene process. J Dent Hyg Sci 5: 25-32, 2005.
- MacDonald L, Bowen DM: Theory analysis of the dental hygiene human needs conceptual model. Int J Dent Hyg 15: e163-e172, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1111/idh.12256
- Michele LD, Margaret MW: Dental hygiene theory and practice. 3th ed. Saunders, St. Louis, pp.1-37, 2010.
- American Dental Hygienists' Association: Dental hygiene diagnosis position paper. American Dental Hygienists' Association, Chicago, pp.1-6, 2010.
- Communication on Dental Accreditation: Accreditation standards for dental hygiene education program. Commission on Dental Accreditation, Chicago, pp.15-29, 2016.
- Choi DS, Kim SH, Kim JS: A comparative analysis of competencies American Dental Education Association and American Dental Hygiene Schools. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 15: 547-553, 2015. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.03.547
- The Canadian Dental Hygienists Association: About CDHA. Retrieved June 30, 2017, from http://www.cdha.ca/cdha/About _folder/About_CDHA/CDHA/About/About_CDHA.aspx.
- Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada: Welcome to CDAC. Retrieved June 30, 2017, from https://www.cda-adc.ca/cdacweb/en.
- Canadian Dental Hygienists Association: 2016 educators' survey report. Retrieved June 30, 2017, from http://files.cdha.ca/profession/EducatorsSurvey2016.pdf(2016).
- Canadian Dental Regulatory Authorities Federation: About C DRAF. Retrieved June 30, 2017, from http://cdraf.org/Home?l=en-us.
- Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations: Examinations. Retrieved June 30, 2017, from https://www.ndhcb.ca/ndhce-policies.
- Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada: Accreditation requirements. Retrieved November 7, 2017, from http://www.cda-adc.ca/cdacweb/en/accreditation_requirements.
- Choi YK, Lim KO, Han YK, et al.: Study on clinical dental hygiene in Korea based on analysis of clinical dental hygiene curriculum of Fones School in the United States. J Dent Hyg Sci 17: 123-133, 2017. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2017.17.2.123
- Kim SH, Kim MK, Oh SH, Mann NK: The implement status of dental hygiene curriculum in Korea and the comparison with the US ADA standard. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Educ 9: 229-247, 2009.
- American Dental Hygienists' Association: Standards for clinical dental hygiene practice. American Dental Hygienists' Association, Chicago, pp.3-15, 2008.
- Bae SM, Shin SJ, Jang JH, Chung WG, Chin BM: Analysis of current status of a dental hygiene science curriculum according to the dental hygienist competency. J Dent Hyg Sci 16: 173-183, 2016.
- Park ES, Yang SO, Yang S, et al.: Analysis of the nursing curricula in graduate program in Korea. J Korean Acad Nurs 32: 100-113, 2002. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2002.32.1.100
- Lee HY: Nursing education system in Korea: now and then. J Nursing Query 15: 68-88, 2006.
- Cho YS, Kim YJ, Ahn GS: An analysis of pre-dental hygiene curriculum of dental hygiene programs in USA and in Canada. J Dent Hyg Sci 6: 41-45, 2006.
- Shin SJ, Kim MJ, Yang JY, Yu JS, Jeong AY, Shin MS: Study of clinical practice standardization in dental hygiene. J Dent Hyg Sci 17: 1-11, 2017. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2017.17.1.1
- Korean Dental Hygienists Association: Korean Dental Hygienists Association Press. Retrieved July 15, 2017, from http://www.kdha.or.kr/news/OldMagazineView.aspx(2016, April 1).
- Korean Association of Dental Hygiene Professors: News of workshop 2017. Retrieved June 30, 2017, from http://www.kadhp.org/kadhp/board.php?board=kkknewsmain& config=2 &command=body&no=298(2017, June 24).