- Volume 50 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effects of Animal Waste Addition on Food Waste Compost under Co-composting
- Lee, Chang Hoon (Soil & Fertilizer division, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Kim, Seok-Cheol (Soil & Fertilizer division, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Park, Seong-Jin (Soil & Fertilizer division, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Kim, Myeong-Sook (Soil & Fertilizer division, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Oh, Taek-Keun (Department of biological chemistry, Chungnam national university)
- Received : 2017.11.15
- Accepted : 2017.11.16
- Published : 2017.12.31
Food waste has been recognized as a organic sources for composting and many research was conducted to efficiently utilize or treat. This study was to evaluate a feasibility for producing food waste compost under co-composting with mixture of food and animal waste. The mixing ratio of food and animal waste was 35% as main material, which additionally mixed 30% of sawdust for co-composting. Total days of composting experiment were 84 days and each sub samples were collected at every 7 days from starting of composting. Results showed that inner temperature in composting was rapidly increased to
Supported by : National Institute of Agricultural Science
- Bueno, P., R. Tapias, F. Lopez, and M.J. Diaz. 2008. Optimizing composting parameters for nitrogen conservation in composting. Bioresour. Technol. 99(11):5069-5077. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2007.08.087
- Chang, K.W. and Y.S. Yu. 2003. Composting of small scale static pile by addition of microorganism. J. Kor. Org. Resour. Recyc. Assoc. 11(1):149-153.
- Chang, K.W., I.B. Lee, and J.S. Lim. 1995. Changes of physicochemical properties during the composting of Korean food waste. J. Kor. Org. Resour. Recyc. Assoc. 3(1):3-11.
- Chang, K.W., J.H. Hong, J.J. Lee, K.P. Han, and N.C. Kim. 2008. Evaluation of compost maturity by physico-chemical properties and germination index of livestock manure compost. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 41(2):137-142.
- De Bertoldi, M.D., G.E. Vallini, and A. Pera. 1983. The biology of composting: a review. Waste Manag. Research. 1(2):157-176. https://doi.org/10.1177/0734242X8300100118
- Dao, T.H. 1999. Coamendments to modify phosphorus extractability and nitrogen/phosphorus ratio in feedlot manure and composted manure. J. Environ. Qual. 28:1114-1121.
- Hayward, H.E. and C.H. Wadleigh. 1949. Plant growth on saline and alkali soils. Adv. Agron. 1:1-38.
- Joo, J.H., D.H. Kim, J.H. Yoo, and Y.S. Ok. 2007. The effect of some amendments to reduce ammonia during pig manure composting. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 40(4):269-273.
- Kim, N.C. and B.M. Jung. 2006. The experiment of process efficiency and salt elimination in food waste compost using triple salt. J. Korean Org. Resour. Recycl. Assoc. 14(2):83-90.
- Kwon, S.I., K.H. So, S.G. Hong, G.Y. Kim, J.T. Lee, K.S. Seong, K.R. Kim, D.B. Lee, and K.Y. Jung. 2009a. The effect of continuous application of the food waste composts on the paddy field environment. J. Kor. Org. Resour. Recyc. Assoc. 17(3):55-70.
- Kwon, S.I., K.H. So, S.G. Hong, G.Y. Kim, J.T. Lee, K.S. Seong, K.R. Kim, D.B. Lee, and K.Y. Jung. 2009b. The continuous application effect of the food waste composts on the cultivated upland soils and plants. J. Kor. Org. Resour. Recyc. Assoc. 17(3):71-81.
- Lee, C.H., S.J. Park, M.S. Kim, S.G. Yun, B.G. Ko, D.B. Lee, S.C. Kim, and T.K. Oh. 2015. Characteristics of compost produced in food waste processing facility. CNU J. Agri. Sci. 42(3):177-181.
- Lee, C.H., B.G. Ko, M.S. Kim, S.J. Park, S.G. Yun, and T.K. Oh. 2016 Effect of food waste compost on crop productivity and soil chemical properties under rice and pepper cultivation. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 49(6):682-688. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2016.49.6.682
- Lee, C.H., K.K. Ko, S.C. Kim, S.C. Kim, J.S. Sung, Y. Shinogi, and T.K. Oh. 2017. Characteristics of food waste composting with various particle sizes of sawdust. J. Fac. Agr. Kyushu Univ. 62(1):123-129.
- Lee, D.S., J.B. Lee, M.Y. Lee, R.N. Joo, K.S. Lee, S.W. Min, B.D. Hong, and D.Y. Chung. 2016. Chemical properties of liquid swine manure for fermentation step in public livestock recycling center. Korean J. Agricultural Science 43:424-431. https://doi.org/10.7744/kjoas.20160045
- Lee, J.T., Y.G. Nam, and J.I. Lee. 2001. Changes of physico-chemical properties and microflora of pig manure due to composting with some bulking agents. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 34:134-144.
- Lee, I.B., C.K. Park, and P.J. Kim. 2001. Study on the lowering of NaCl content by co-composting food wastes. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 34(1):17-25.
- Lee, S.E., H.J. Ahn, S.K. Youn, S.M. Kim, and K.Y. Jung. 2000. Application effect of food waste compost abundant in NaCl on the growth and cationic balance of rice plant on paddy soil. Korean J. Soil Sci. & Fert. 33(2):100-108.
- Lee, Y.S., H.K. Choi, J.K. Kim, Y.H. Lee, K.T. Chung, J.S. Roh, and M.G. Suh. 2004. Optimum mixing ratio of sewage sludge during composting of food wastes. J. Kor. Envir. Health. 30(5):366-373.
- Miller, F.C. and F.B. Metting Jr. 1992. Composting as a process based on the control of ecologically selective factors. Soil. Microb. Ecol. Applic. Agr. Envir. Manag. 515-544.
- Park, S.H. 2003. Comparison of effects of chaff and sawdust on aerobic composting of food wastes. J. Kor. Envir. Health. 29(3):28-34.
- Phae, C.G., Y.S. Chu, and J. S. Park. 2002. Investigation of affect on composting process and plant growth of salt concentration in food waste. J. Kor. Org. Resour. Recyc. Assoc. 10(4):103-111.
- Petric, I., A. Helic, and E.A. Avdic. 2012. Evolution of process parameters and determination of kinetics for co-composting of organic fraction of municipal solid waste with poultry manure Bioresour. Technol. 117:107-116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2012.04.046
- Rural Development Administration (RDA). 2013. Sampling and analysis methods for fertilizer.
- Rynk, R., M. van de Kamp, G.B. Willson, M.E. Singley, T.L. Richard, J.J. Kolega, F.R. Gouin, L. Jr. Lucien, D. Kay, D.W. Murphy, H.A.J. Hoitink, and W.F. Brinton. 1992. On-farm composting handbook. National resource, agriculture and engineering service. Ithaca, New York, USA. p.16.
- Said-Pullicino, D., F.G. Erriquens, and G. Gigliotti. 2007. Changes in the chemical characteristics of water-extractable organic matter during composting and their influence on compost stability and maturity. Bioresour. Technol. 98(9):1822-1831. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2006.06.018
- Shannon, M.C. 1997. Adaption of plants to salinity. Adv. Agron. 60:75-120.
- Sikora, L.J. and D. M. Sullivan. 2000. Case studies of municipal and on-farm composting in the United States. p. 605-623. In J. Power and W. Dick (ed.) Land application of agricultural, industrial, and municipal by-products. SSSA Book Ser. No. 6. SSSA, Madison, WI.
- Sohn, B.K., J.H. Hong, and K.J. Park. 1996. Comparative studies on static windrow and aerated static pile composting of the mixtures of cattle manure and rice hulls : I. Variation of Physico-chemical Parameters. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 29(4):403-410.
- Sweeten, J.M. 1988. Composting manure sludge. In National poultry waste management symp., Columbus, OH. Dep. of Poultry Sci. Ohio State Univ., Columbus. p. 38-44.
- Sullivan, D.M,, S.C. Fransen, A.I, Bary, and C.G. Cogger. 1998. Slow-release nitrogen from composts: The bulking agent is more than just fluff. p. 319-325. In Brown et al. (ed.) Beneficial co-utilization of agricultural, municipal and industrial by-products. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, the Netherlands.
- Touart, A.P. 1999. Investing upfront in a compost factory. Biocycle. 40:31-33.
- Yu, Y.S. and K.W. Chang. 1998. Changes of physicochemical properties of paper mill sludge and sewage sludge mixed with various ratios of a bulking agent during composting. J. Kor. Org. Resour. Recyc. Assoc. 6(2):45-57.
- Yun, H.B., Y.J. Lee, M.S. Kim, S.M. Lee, Y.U. Lee, and Y.B. Lee. 2012. Composting of pig manure affected by mixed ratio of sawdust and rice hull. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 45(6):1032-1036. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2012.45.6.1032
- Zucconi, F., A. Monaco, M. Forte, and M.D. Bertoldi. 1985. Phytotoxins during the stabilization of organic matter. Composting of agricultural and other wastes. Elsevier Applied Science Publishers, London, England.