- Volume 50 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effects of Earthworm Cast Addition on Food Waste Compost under Co-composting with Sawdust
- Lee, Chang Hoon (Soil & Fertilizer Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Nam, Hong-Sik (Organic Fertilizer Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Kim, Seok-Cheol (Soil & Fertilizer Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Park, Seong-Jin (Soil & Fertilizer Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Kim, Myeong-Sook (Soil & Fertilizer Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Kim, Sung-Chul (Department of Biological Chemistry, Chungnam National University) ;
- Oh, Taek-Keun (Department of Biological Chemistry, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2017.11.08
- Accepted : 2017.11.15
- Published : 2017.12.31
Food waste has been recognized as a critical problem in Korea and many research was conducted to efficiently reutilize or treat food waste. Main purpose of this research was to evaluate a feasibility for producing fermented organic fertilizer with mixture of earthworm cast (EC). Four different treatments were mixed with food waste and EC at the rate of 0, 10, 20, and 30%, respectively. Total days of composting experiment were 84 days and each sub samples were collected at every 7 days from starting of composting. Results showed that inner temperature in composting was increased to
Supported by : National Institute of Agricultural Science
- Brix, H. and B.K. Sorrell. 1996. Oxygen stress in wetland plants: comparison of de-oxygenated and reducing root environments. Funct. Ecol. 10:521-526. https://doi.org/10.2307/2389945
- Bueno, P., R. Tapias, F. Lopez, and M.J. Diaz. 2008. Optimizing composting parameters for nitrogen conservation in composting. Bioresour. Technol. 99(11):5069-5077. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2007.08.087
- Chang, K.W. and Y.S. Yu. 2003. Composting of small scale static pile by addition of microorganism. J. Korean Org. Resour. Recycl. Assoc. 11(1):149-153.
- Chang, K.W., I.B. Lee, and J.S. Lim. 1995. Changes of physicochemical properties during the composting of Korean food waste. J. Korean Org. Resour. Recycl. Assoc. 3(1):3-11.
- Chang, K.W., J.H. Hong, J.J. Lee, K.P. Han, and N.C. Kim. 2008. Evaluation of compost maturity by physico-chemical properties and germination index of livestock manure compost. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 41(2):137-142.
- Cox, H.H.J., H.J. Doddema, W. Harder, and F. J. Magierlsen. Influence of the water content and water activity on styrene degradation by exophiala jeanselmei in biofilters. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 45:850-857.
- De Bertoldi, M.D., G.E. Vallini, and A. Pera. 1983. The biology of composting: a review. Waste Manag. Res. 1(2):157-176. https://doi.org/10.1177/0734242X8300100118
- De Laune, R.D., S.R. Pezeshki, and J.H. Pardue. 1990. An oxidation-reduction buffer for evaluating physiological response of plants to root oxygen stress. Environ. Exp. Bot. 30:243-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/0098-8472(90)90070-K
- Fernadez-Gomez, M.J., Diaz-Ravina, E. Romero, and R. Nogales. 2013. Recycling of environmentally problematic plant wastes generated from greenhouse tomato crops through vermicomposting. Int. J. Environ. Sci. Technol. 10:697-708. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13762-013-0239-7
- Gambrell, R.P., and W.H. Patrick. 1978. Chemical and biological properties of anaerobic soils and sediments. p. 375-423. In D.D. Hook and R.M.M. Crawford (Eds.) Plant life in anaerobic environments. Ann Arbor Science.
- Hayward, H.E. and C.H. Wadleigh. 1949. Plant growth on saline and alkali soils. Adv. Agron. 1:1-38.
- Joo, J.H., D.H. Kim, J.H. Yoo, and Y.S. Ok. 2007. The Effect of some amendments to reduce ammonia during pig manure composting. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 40(4):269-273.
- Lee, C.H., B.G. Ko, M.S. Kim, S.J. Park, S.G. Yun, and Taek-Keun Oh. 2016. Effect of food waste compost on crop productivity and soil chemical properties under rice and pepper cultivation. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 49(6):682-688. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2016.49.6.682
- Lee, C.H., K.K. Ko, S.C. Kim, S.C. Kim, J.S. Sung, Y. Shinogi, and and T. K. Oh. 2017. Characteristics of food waste composting with various particle sizes of sawdust. J. Fac. Agric., Kyushu Univ. 62(1):123-129.
- Lee, C.H., S.J. Park, M.S. Kim, S.G. Yun, B.G. Ko, D.B. Lee, S.C. Kim, and T.K. Oh. 2015. Characteristics of compost produced in food waste processing facility. CNU J. Agric. Sci. 42(3):177-181.
- Lee, I.B., C.K. Park, and P.J. Kim. 2001. Study on the lowering of NaCl content by co-composting food wastes. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 34(1):17-25.
- Lee, S.E., H.J. Ahn, S.K. Youn, S.M. Kim, and K.Y. Jung. 2000. Application effect of food waste compost abundant in NaCl on the growth and cationic balance of rice plant on paddy soil, Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 33(2):100-108.
- Lee, Y.S., H.K. Choi, J.K. Kim, Y.H. Lee, K.T. Chung, J.S. Roh, and M.G. Suh. 2004. Optimum mixing ratio of sewage sludge during composting of food wastes. J. Korean Environ. Health 30(5):366-373.
- Lim, S.L., Lee, L.H., and Wu, T.Y. 2016. Sustainability of using composting and vermicomposting technologies for organic solid waste biotransformation: recent overview, greenhouse gases emissions and economic analysis. J. Clean. Prod. 111 (Part A), 262-278. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.08.083
- Miller, F.C. and F.B. Metting Jr. 1992. Composting as a process based on the control of ecologically selective factors. Soil. Microb. Ecol. Appl. Agric. Environ. Manag. 515-544.
- Nam, Y., S.H. Yong, and K.K. Song. 2010. Evaluating quality of fertilizer manufactured (livestock manure compost) with different sources in Korea. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 43(5):522-527.
- Park, S.H. 2003. Comparison of effects of chaff and sawdust on aerobic composting of food wastes. J. Korean Environ. Health 29(3):28-34.
- Petric, I., A. Helic, and E.A. Avdic. 2012. Evolution of process parameters and determination of kinetics for co-composting of organic fraction of municipal solid waste with poultry manure. Bioresour. Technol. 117:107-116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2012.04.046
- Rorat, A., H. Suleiman, A. Grobelak, A. Grosser, M. Kacprzak, B. Plytycz, and F. Vandenbulcke. 2015. Interactions between sewage sludge-amended soil and earthworms-comparison between Eisenia fetida and Eisenia andrei composting species. Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res. 23(4):3026-3035.
- Rural development administration (RDA). 2013. Sampling and analysis methods for fertilizer.
- Said-Pullicino, D., F.G. Erriquens, and G. Gigliotti. 2007. Changes in the chemical characteristics of water-extractable organic matter during composting and their influence on compost stability and maturity. Bioresour. Technol. 98(9):1822-1831. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2006.06.018
- Shannon, M.C. 1997. Adaption of plants to salinity. Adv. Agron. 60:75-120.
- Sharma, K. and V. Garg. 2017. Management of food and vegetable processing waste spiked with buffalo waste using earthworms (Eisenia fetida). Soil. Pollut. Res. 24(8):7829-7836 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-017-8438-2
- So, K.H., K.S. Seong, M.C. Seo, and S.G. Hong. 2007. Environmental impacts of food waste compost application on paddy soil. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 40(1):85-94.
- Sohn, B.K., J.H. Hong, and K.J. Park. 1996. Comparative studies on static windrow and aerated static pile composting of the mixtures of cattle manure and rice hulls: I. Variation of Physico-chemical Parameters. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 29(4):403-410.
- Yau, P.Y. and R.J. Murphy. 1998. International horticultural congress, Part 7: Quality of Horticultural Products. p. 275-278. In H. Herregods (ed.) International Society for Horticultural Science. Brussels, Belgium.
- Yoo, S.K. and E.Y. Lee. 2007. Application of earthworm casting-derived biofilter media for hydrogen sulfide removal. J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng. 29(7): 820-825.
- Yu, Y.S. and K.W. Chang. 1998. Changes of physicochemical properties of paper mill sludge and sewage sludge mixed with various ratios of a bulking agent during composting. J. Korean Org. Resour. Recycl. Assoc. 6(2):45-57.
- Yun, H.B., Y.J. Lee, M.S. Kim, S.M. Lee, Y.U. Lee, and Y.B. Lee. 2012. Composting of pig manure affected by mixed ratio of sawdust and rice hull. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 45(6):1032-1036. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2012.45.6.1032
- Zucconi, F., A. Monaco, M. Forte, and M.D. Bertoldi. 1985. Phytotoxins during the stabilization of organic matter. Composting of agricultural and other wastes. Elsevier Applied Science Publishers, London, England.